Doable Cruise for a newbie with claustrophobia?

Sammigar

Hello everyone! Very new to cruising. Actually completely new. We are strongly considering doing the September Alaska to Far East cruise as it has some bucket list ports for both me and my husband and coincides nicely with our anniversary and my birthday, but I have some concerns:

1.) what kind of temperatures to expect on sea days

2.) what kind of seas to expect

I am claustrophobic, so I worry about the small enclosed cabins and think I need to book a balcony room, but it'll need to be the least expensive. So no mid ship, mid deck for me. If I don't get sea sick on ski boats or dinner cruises or on a hover craft, do you think an upper deck, non mid ship balcony room will work for a first time cruiser and when I do need to step out on that balcony in the middle of the night, what kind of temperatures am I going to be hit with?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

This is a big cruise for a first time... Is there anyway that you can do a short test drive cruise!

There is a compromise between a balcony and an inside. You could try an oceanview.

Best of luck. The planning can be so fun! :)

I think previous poster's suggestion of oceanview is a good one.

But I have to ask anyone who is claustrophic if they keep the windows open to their bedroom. I personally leave them closed and covered all the time, so that's really no different than taking an inside cabin. Yes, there may be motion, but that would not exacerbate claustrophic reaction for me. Now...if we're talking a full-tube MRI machine, then drug me up but good.

Book the lowest cat., or one of the lowest, balcony room, with upgrade. If you feel shut in just open the sliding door, step out on the balcony and look out to sea. Leave the door open when in the room, when weather allows. As a first cruise you will have lots of homework to do, so plan carefully and completely. Make sure you have all the proper documents you may need, such as passports and visas (if required). Ask some questions on the Princess Roll Call for the exact voyage you plan to book. These will be passengers on the same ship as you and can provide support and friendship during the voyage. If you are worried about seasickness, bring along some chewable seasick tablets which you can purchase at any pharmacy. Carry one or two with you at all times. AS SOON as you feel you might be getting seasick take one. Don't wait until you get sick, they will not work then. Have a nice trip and don't gain too much weight.

Do NOT make Alaska - Asia your first cruise. The North Pacific Ocean can be very unpredictable. (Ask my stomach ;) )

Take a 7 day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami this winter to 'get your feet wet'.

Early Saver pricing (now) will make a balcony very affordable for this winter.

It will add to your enjoyment of the longer cruise immensely.

Do NOT make Alaska - Asia your first cruise. The North Pacific Ocean can be very unpredictable. (Ask my stomach ;) )

Take a 7 day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami this winter to 'get your feet wet'.

I agree 100%. I would suggest that you try at least a 3 day Bahamas cruise. They are on sale right now to try to get an idea of what you will think of cruising. They are not the best example because the ship moves so slow (Bahamas are not far from Florida) that you barely feel motion. When I have taken 7 day or more cruises (insides, ocean views and balcony) the ship at some point rocks. You will feel motion, usually side to side -slowly.

Definitely get a ocean view or balcony, I know people who are not claustrophobic and they can't handle an inside. A friend won a cruise, inside cabin, and after one night his wife demanded to be moved. Luckily, they were able to get a balcony for $200 more. Good luck, hope that you have a great experience and welcome to Cruise Critic.

I recorded this on Explorer of the Seas in February of this year.

Notice the front of the ship and the horizon.

That is crazy!

The Alaska - Beijing is FANTASTIC! It was, for me, a cruise of a lifetime.

You can expect cold weather, certainly, and a balcony will be a brave place sometimes. But when you get to the Yellow Sea area it will warm up nicely.

The ports are great because the people in China, S Korea, and Japan are wonderful. I want to return to China just to walk the streets of Beijing and talk to whomever I meet. Most friendly people ever IMHO.

There is too much I can say. Just this, really. If you get a chance to do this, go for it like a shot!

Doug

I doubt you will have problems with sea sickness since you have not had problems on jet ski's etc. However I would not take a long cruise as your first cruise experience. In Georgia you are within driving distance of several ports including Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. I love cruising but I know people who hate it. Do you like AI resorts? Did you like going to camp as a kid? Cruising is a bit like camp but with much better food and ambiance. There are activities, pools, etc. as well as meals with lots of choice. My friends who don't like cruising mainly complain that they don't like the activities and entertainment. I don't get it but listen to them and then move on to another topic. Cruising is great fun. We have stayed in inside, ocean view and balcony cabins. I thought they were all fine. I would not leave my balcony door open. It did scare me a bit to look at the photos after the Star Princess fire when the open balcony door allowed the fire into a cabin. For me, I will sleep with the door closed just like I sleep at home with the windows closed.

I am doing the opposite of the cruise you are planning, going from Beijing to Vancouver on the Diamond Princess next April.

Weather and seas are unpredictable but you'll experience a wide range of temps. Alaska starts getting cold after Labor Day and since this is a northerly route, it'll probably be cool for a good part of the cruise.

If you get motion sick in cars and/or small boats, chances are you will on a cruise ship. If you don't, chances are that you won't.

I generally avoid mid-ship cabins as my preferred location on most cruises is towards the aft. If you can afford a balcony, book the least expensive. I think towards the aft is more stable than far forward. The lower the deck, the less movement you'll feel. If you book a balcony, it's recommended that you not leave the balcony door open and every cabin I've been in has had a warning on the door. Cabins are kept at a slight negative atmosphere which means better ventilation and air exchange. If you leave the door open, the system tries to heat or cool the air and draws from nearby cabins to do so. Which means that while you have the door open for a while, your neighbor will have warmer or colder temperatures.

Out of all my friends who cruise, only one gets claustrophobic and has to book at least a mini-suite. If you get claustrophobic in elevators or small spaces, you should consider a mini-suite. A balcony cabin is normally the same size as an oceanview cabin with the difference being doors instead of a window. Same space, just more light in the balcony cabin. While not as large as a hotel room, Princess cabins are surprisingly roomy. At least in my opinion.

Like some others, I'd recommend a shorter cruise as a first cruise to see if cruising is for you. Princess has very few ultra-short cruises and their 3- and 4-day cruises don't start until next year. Taking another cruise line that has short cruises might give you a chance to see if cruising for you but only if you go knowing that taking a Princess cruise would be a different experience. Certainly, it would be VERY different from taking the Alaska to Beijing cruise.

Our first cruise was a 14 day inland passage round trip from SF in September. The first night out the seas were pretty rough (they said 30ft swells). We were told later that time of year can have some rough weather. After that first night the seas were much calmer though. We did have some overcast skys and rain (Pacific NW is a rain forest) and got it chilly the farther north we got but that didn't stop us from opening up the balcony door, especially in the inland passage. Just prepare for cool wet weather with layers.

I had a blast on that cruise, even that first rough night (I slept like a baby being rocked, but my wife said she was awake most of the night). I would do it again even at that time of year.

Only you can say if being in an inside or window cabin would be appropriate for you with your claustrophobia. However, I would recommend the balcony cabin to anyone doing Alaska, with or without claustrophobia.

If you're claustrophobic, then I would definitely get a balcony cabin. You can leave the drapes open and still see out. Even if you have to pay a little bit more, a balcony is worth the extra cost IMHO. We have stayed in an oceanview cabin and it's not the same. Do not reserve an inside cabin, IMHO (speaking for myself) it would feel like a coffin to me. I don't think it matters the length of the cruise, what matters is you feeling comfortable and in control.

Princess has a 4 day out of NY to Bermuda on Oct 27, 2012. If you can handle that you should be fine. NY to Bermuda in Oct has the potential to be a bit rough.

I have really eyeballed that same cruise... Just a short hop and a jump to Bermuda!:)

I would only suggest a balcony cabin. You need to be able to go outside and get a breath of fresh air when you need it. We only had an oceanview cabin once, and I couldn't stand the lack of fresh air, and I only have very mild symptoms of claustrophobia that are not very frequent. I think an inside or an oceanview would be a big mistake especially on cruise of that length. All of the suggestions of a window being enough or keeping the tv on the bridge channel are fine for those without any hint of claustrophobia, but I don't think you would be comfortable in either of them.

I too am extremely claustrophobic.... on our first cruise we did an ocean view and the bathroom was so tiny I could not shut the door whenever I used it, so need less to say we did not spend much time in our cabin. Since then we always do a balcony and I have over come my fear of the tiny bathroom. We have done almost 18 cruises and I feel very comfortable on a ship, no sea sickness either, we always book aft cabins.

I would agree with other posters tho, try a short cruise to test the waters & how you feel. I am sure you will love it - have a great cruise whatever you do!!!:)

I am clausterphobic as well and have been cruising since before they had balconies. Oceanview works well BUT the main thing I look for is a cabin close to an exit. Look at cabins close to the stairs that lead down to the Promenade deck. That was within a minute or two you are on the Promenade outside and can walk all around the ship literally. Another one would be the cabins at the very front that are next to the door leading out over the bow. This I would not suggest for this cruise as if rough seas you feel it more at the bow. Also on Princess are outside cabins at the very back by the aft pool that sometimes have 2 portholes. They are at the next to top category outside cabin but there is a door just outside your cabin door leading right out onto the back pool. Another suggestion is pool deck cabin by the entrance out to the pool. For me it is about being able to get to an open deck more so than a balcony as I see this as a safety thing. You will find that when you get there it doesn't matter as you will be having a ball... :)

you will be surprised how little time ,you really spend in your cabin , Take a shower sleep , maybe an afternoon nap . There is a lot to see and do on a cruise ship
Actually, we spend quite a bit of time in our cabin. In fact, the only time I leave is for breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack, and of course the gym, walking the decks, lectures, MUTS, sitting in a hot tub, production shows and other entertainment, etc.

you will be surprised how little time ,you really spend in your cabin , Take a shower sleep , maybe an afternoon nap . There is a lot to see and do on a cruise ship

We spend a lot of time in the cabin and on the balcony. If the weather is not nice enough to sit on the balcony I love to sit in the cabin reading and just relaxing. There may be a lot of things going on around the ship, but for us having time to ourselves and relaxing in our own space is more important.

I'll give a second on this advice. Take a short Caribbean Cruise first. Absolutely !

We take short and long cruises 20-35 days (with back to back cruising) and believe me the closed-in feeling comes not just from the cabin, it comes from being on the small island (as a big ship) for a couple of weeks at a time.

Archived