Driver's License Expiring

Megan07

I've read that if your passport is expiring within 6 months or so of your cruise, you could be denied entry or something.

My question is, what about your driver's license. I'm cruising Dec 9th, and my driver's license expires on January 9th. Are there any rules in regards to that?

Thanks!

You are sailing the Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas, right? Then, you'll be fine.

The 6 month rule for passports is imposed by some foreign countries because they want to make sure that your passport is still valid for returning home should you be delayed while visiting their country.

None of the countries on Freedom's eastern or western Caribbean itineraries have this rule.

You are sailing the Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas, right? Then, you'll be fine.

The 6 month rule for passports is imposed by some foreign countries because they want to make sure that your passport is still valid for returning home should you be delayed while visiting their country.

None of the countries on Freedom's eastern or western Caribbean itineraries have this rule.

6 month rule only applies to passports .

If you are concerned about your DL most states allow you to renew early within 60-90 days of the expiration day. In some cases, such my state, a DL can be renewed anytime within 12 months of the expiration date.

I'm not exactly sure, I'll have to look. I know when you renew here, you dont' get your physical license right away, they give you a paper one. The real one comes in the mail after 2 weeks. I wouldn't take that chance cruising with a paper license...

but what if you dont actually have a drivers licence...will the passport be enough as picture id? will any of the security people give you a hard time if you DONT hve a dl? :confused:

Ah, a passport is considered the best form of ID out there. Your passport supercedes a DL.

Are you permitted in your state to renew a little in advance of expiration date? I think most states will let you especially if you have a good reason such as needed a valid license for ID on a cruise.

I am sailing on Freedom OTS-Western Caribbean. I have my passport, but was just curious! I'll need my DL to prove my age to get some drinks :)

I think that Royal Carribean uses a different colour on the Sea Passes (onboard ID card, room key, etc) for those who are underage. I think this is so that bar staff, etc. can easily tell whether the holder can purchase alcohol.

but what if you dont actually have a drivers licence...will the passport be enough as picture id? will any of the security people give you a hard time if you DONT hve a dl? :confused:

A passport is a better form of ID than a driver's license so you are less likely to get a hard time from anyone by using that as your ID. It contains both your picture and your date of birth so, if you are of age to drink, it will be accepted in lieu of a DL. Cruise passengers are generally considered to be

'in transit' and so are exempt from any regulations such as the six month rule.

You DL isn't a problem as long as it hasn''t expired. Generally, you can't renew too soon, so don't worry about it, unless it's expiring while you're ON the cruise!

In our state you can renew your driver's license up to three months in advance. I guess I was wrong when I though all states did the same thing. Thanks for the education :).

Archived