Barcelona to Atlanta?

cvrap

I've never booked an international flight. Just saw the transatlantic cruise to Barcelona next summer. I started looking at one way flights. Everything, even this September, one way is $1276.

So I need help. Is that the cheapest I'll find? I'm open to any suggestions!!

I've never booked an international flight. Just saw the transatlantic cruise to Barcelona next summer. I started looking at one way flights. Everything, even this September, one way is $1276.

Gosh, I would think that you could find a less expensive flight. What is the date that you would be returning from Barcelona to Atlanta?

Regardless, you can definitely get a round-trip for $1029. Just don't use the 2nd return to BCN leg of the ticket.

jill

My advise would be to do AerLingus.

http://www.aerlingus.com/

They have one way tickets that are about $600 per person to either JFK or Boston from Barcelona.

Then you would have to buy a ticket on another airline from there to Atlanta, which will run you about $200 one way.

So that would make it $800 per person.

We have done the Aer Lingus thing (several times) but be advised that if you are doing it from Atlanta its not such a good deal and means changing planes at least twice. One-way air fares on airlines like Delta are never good and we agree that the cruise line's air department might be able to help. But our favorite option with these one way cruises is to book round trip air and use the other direction for a 2nd cruise (have done this a few times). So if you take a repositioning cruise next spring/summer from Miami to Barcelona you buy a round trip ticket that covers your return air from Europe with a return flight to Europe sometime the following fall. You then fly back to Europe sometime Oct-Dec where you can get a really good price on a repostioning cruise that brings you back to the US :). The round trip air will cost you about the same as the one-way so its a good way to justify another cruise.

Hank

Don't know what cruiseline you are on, but if it's Celebrity or Royal, you can try their Choice Air. I've found their one-way prices to Europe very competitive.

We have done two trips to Barcelona in the past year and a half. On the last trip, we had to purchase an open jaw JAX-Paris and BCN to JAX. I monitored the fares on Kayak for months, then about seven months before the flight purchased tickets for $1200 plus. Prices dropped by $300pp the next month.

On one-way flights, we have had success with Celebrity's Cruise Air in finding one-way. Use Kayak and keep trying. Also, try some other cities, like Madrid or Paris and if you get a low fare, you could train to those cities or find a cheap flight on Ryanair or a bargain airline.

Also, take a look at itasoftware dot com website. They are the company that does the software for the search engines used by most of the companies and airlines. If you go directly to their site, you get unbiased info (yes, some sites bias towards preferred providers or their own airlines). You can't buy from them, but you get all the details of a flight and fare basis to buy it from anywhere.

If you need the cheapest fare, you might have to bite the bullet and go via some esoteric routes. Sometimes, I find that fun, since even a little time in a place I've never been is interesting. Try some "local" food at the airport.

We are flying to Barcelona this November and coming back on the Navigator. We booked thru Royal Caribbean Choice Air. Our one way flight was $531.00. We are going from Cols Oh to JFK then Barcelona.Best price we found.

• 4 weeks later...
One way isn't always cheaper. I know that's insane but it's true. Look at roundtrip prices. If cheaper you can always throw away the unused leg.

That can be dangerous, particularly if the one-way is for returning to the U.S. If you don't show up for the first leg, they will cancel the second leg. We once had to have out R/T tickets to London reissued in Tampa. When we tried to confirm the return trip, we discovered that it had been cancelled because their records showed that we had not used the first leg. They could also charge you for a one-way, although I don't know if that happens frequently. In any event, it is not legal to just "throw away" the unused leg. The suggestion to use the second leg for another TA cruise is great. And that way, you get two cruises!

• 1 month later...

If you are doing connecting flights to get to BCN, remember to book yourself into BCN AT LEAST one full day early in case of missed connections, etc. My son, along with six family members, barely made the ship departure a couple of years ago...I had booked them into BCN a day early but due to thunderstorms, planes were delayed. In the winter there are snow storms to delay flights. Only my son's luggage made it to the ship. It made for very unhappy travelers. Luggage didn't even make it back to their USA homes for two weeks...what a mess.

I just booked air for our upcoming trip to Europe. Total for round trip fare for us was $2,495.00. This fare is to Venice and return from Barcelona. The air fare just went up for the tickets we have. By the way none of these flights is direct into Atlanta.

I too have been studying this problem for my TA from Barcelona next November, flying from Tampa or Miami. The cruise line will do it for us, or we get a $700 pp air credit. It seems obvious that we can't match that for Economy seats. But...I would dearly love to find one-way Premium Economy seats--I can't actually look at prices for November 2013 yet, but I'm seeing ballpark about $2400 per person. That means net $1700 pp. Sigh. (I'm seeing ballpark $1400 for a roundtrip PE trip to Lisbon next spring. Gheesh!) I think we'll probably tough it out in coach.

Welcome to the wide, weird world of "Cruise Air"!

TA cruises are wonderful, except that for U.S. travellers, your air booking is limited to one-way bookings from Europe to the U.S. Firstly, one way tickets are firghtfully expensive. Your options are: (1) Pay through the nose. (2) Book some sort of itinerary using little known or smaller airlines (3) Buy a Return ticket rather than one way and throw the second ticket away.

I wouldn't suggest any of the above - especially (3) as you may be found out.....

Instead, have your TA contact whichever cruise line you choose and get you a one-way through their air department. Cruise lines make hundreds of bookings to accomodate Transatlantic travellers, and combine two names on to one ticket. Perfectly legal, considering the volume the cruise lines give to the airlines.

Good luck.....

We have used Choice Air with our Celebrity Cruises for one-way tickets and had good results. We are doing a TransAtlantic to Harwich, UK and then a BI cruise. Then taking a one-way from Heathrow to Miami for $600. We used Choice air once before coming back from South America and it was reasonable.

Archived