What unusual thing do you look forward to on your RCCL cruise?

Daghis

I love the feeling I get from taking my first step onto the ship. I try to take a mental picture of the set-up, and I feel like I am on vacation the minute my right foot goes from the gangway to the ship.

Yes, me too!

Also, "Welcome to the Windjammer!"

A few things for me.

The time when I turn off my cell phone and lock it in the safe, not having to check it for a few days.

The first late night sitting on the balcony watching the wake of the ship go by in the distance and then some "private time" with my wife :)

I love that "ship smell." The smell isn't the same on other cruise lines, either. I was just thinking about it yesterday since our next cruise can't come soon enough, lol!

So very true. We cruised several RCI ships then took a break for a bit and did Princess and Carnival. After a few years we got a tour of the Enchantment when it was in port. As soon as we walked on board we knew the smell. DW said "its like coming home". We left the tour and knew we had to get back to RCI.

I too am a people watcher. I like to get a plate full of food in the Windjammer on the first day while most everyone is in there. I then notice certain people walking around and realize I will be seeing the same folks all over the ship and in ports for the coming week....and will never see them again once we leave the ship.

When I look back through my cruise photos, I still see certain people that trigger memories of the cruise. Even if I never spoke to them or met them, they bring back great memories.

Haha. I just realized that it sounds like I may be a stalker or something! Not at all. I simply find people interesting.

We just started a new unusual thing a few cruises back. When we get to the top of the gangway, we hold hands and jump with both feet from the gangway to the ship. (Being very careful to duck and lunge forward so we dont hit our heads on the the "mind your head" signs)

We also love to people watch and we make up names for people, and when we see them during the week we say "there goes Mr so and so"

I too am a people watcher. I like to get a plate full of food in the Windjammer on the first day while most everyone is in there. I then notice certain people walking around and realize I will be seeing the same folks all over the ship and in ports for the coming week....and will never see them again once we leave the ship.

When I look back through my cruise photos, I still see certain people that trigger memories of the cruise. Even if I never spoke to them or met them, they bring back great memories.

Haha. I just realized that it sounds like I may be a stalker or something! Not at all. I simply find people interesting.

What we always find funny is that some people we see all week (have even met some at the pre-cruise hotel), you start to recongize each other and speak when you see them around the ship or even in port. Then the last morning at the Windjammer we see people and always say to each other, "I haven't seen them all week".

Not so much unusual...But we look forward to sleeping the same bed for a whole week straight DH works nights, so unless its the weekend, or vacation he's at work at night, and I am at work during the day.! A cruise means no kids sneaking into my room during the night, no dogs hogging the whole bottom of the bed, then barking at the wind and waking me up, etc. We are only able to cruise every 2 years (for now) and so we look forward to that week for what seems like forever! The smells, walking into your stateroom for the first time, enjoying an afternoon snack on our balcony after a day full of amazing island adventures...The list goes on and on!! No wonder we are addicted!

I think my favorite moment is right before sailaway. Everyone is excited and happy, we have yet to leave the port and the entire cruise is still before us. It's a feeling of "we made it here again," thankful we are able to cruise and escape "real life" for a week.

Can't wait for that moment on Allure on November 25th!

Stacy

Another maybe unusual thing is that we always call our loved ones before sail away while spending our first minutes on the balcony to let them know that we are onboard and will soon have limited contact for he next 7 days. I think we consider ourselves 'officially' on vacation then.

Same here. I'm essentially on call 24/7 and my wife owns her own business, so up until that moment we are overly connected to the real world.

also...

1) we look forward to sleeping. lots of sleeping. and not feeling guilty about it.

2) I also look forward to being the last people onboard from the private islands and kinda like the challenge of timing our exit from the island to not wait in line for a tender and essentially go back with the crew.. usually close to sunset, the island is deserted... its the absolute best time for photos, short stroll on the beach, etc...

The 'boing' of your first sea pass scan!

Picking up my first set of silverware wrapped in green napkins! (Except on Allure/Oasis - then we avoid the Windjammer at all costs!).

The smell of the sheets on the beds. They always smell so fresh!

48 hours til sail away!!!

I absolutely LOVE the smell of the ship! I dont know what it is about it, but I wish I could bottle that smell up and bring it home!

Oddly enough, one of the hospitals I see patients at has almost the exact same smell in the elevators... the only problem is that when the elevator doors open, there is no pool or bars, just sick people :p

I look forward to the Greek Salad in the Windjammer. (I hope they still have it, we haven't sailed with RC since 2009! Bummed they no longer have the Vidalia Onion Tart!)

And that ship smell; especially the MDR and yes, the Schooner Bar. We always go check out where our table is.

My most favorite sound is when the horn blows as you are leaving port the very first night. I love that sound, it really means you are on your way. I also like no phones for the cruise and all the bread/buns you can eat. I would live off buns if I could on a trip, they are so yummy!! :D

Archived