What unusual thing do you look forward to on your RCCL cruise?

Daghis

I love that "ship smell." The smell isn't the same on other cruise lines, either. I was just thinking about it yesterday since our next cruise can't come soon enough, lol!

One more thing..in the theatre when the band starts playing and you hear, "It's show time."

I'm looking forward to going through the doors of the Passenger Terminal again meaning that I'll be on another cruise!!

Our first cruise, we stayed in a Backpackers hostel the night before embarktion day, and we actually watched Rhapsody of the Seas come into port from our room window. That was exciting.

Am looking forward to Voyager coming to Sydney for the first time, am looking forward to just going and seeing her in port and getting some pics. Then roll on January, and we'll be embarking on her!

I look forward to a relaxing, stress free vacation while away.........not knowing anyone, and if I burp, or trip over my own two feet, oh well, unless someone finds it on facebook, my secrets are kept.

After all what happens at sea......hopefully stays at sea.

Safe travels

Sue and crew

I second the smell of the Schooner bar.

I also love hearing the first "ding" when I get my picture taken for my SeaPass. That means it's on!

Something you didn't ask -- what do I least look forward to? Those carpets in the elevator telling me what day it is. :(

Ann

Noooooooo I look forward to the day change in the lifts.... it's the only reminder I have of what day it is and so where I'll be today (other than the Compass!!) Lol

Doing my initial 'housekeeping' on the ship. Store the magazines, empty the refrigerator (put in my water), move the table and store the waste can under it. And look at my coupon book and any other notes left for us on the desk.

I do that too!!!

But honestly guys everything you've written is hardly 'unusual'. SO many of us do them that they're not UNusual..... there has to be some bizarre ritual someone does on boarding.... or looks forward to.....

First things first.

Get my first beer, the receipt ($6.04) and thinking about how many dozens of times I will be signing my name.

Then doing the rough math ..... hmmmm .... 7 days ...... $400 to $500 spoken for.:rolleyes:

This is going to sound so "snooty", but I really love it when you approach the big long line in the terminal, they take a look at your paperwork and say "Mr Long, welcome back! I see you and your wife are Diamond members... please, come this way. This longer line is not for you!".... Makes me feel like I am some kind of a big shot... :D

Sleep. I love the feeling of being rocked to sleep. I have terrible insomnia at home and rarely get a good nights sleep. Somehow, the insomnia is never an issue on a ship.

Yes, this is IT for me too. That's why I love always having a cruise booked so I know that sometime in the future I will get some GOOD sleep!

I also look forward to the soft serve ice cream (really frozen yogurt) in the WJ. I'm not an ice cream eater but I do love this stuff. More than the desserts in the MDR.

1. The smell of the main dining room. And I'm not talking about food. It has a smell. It's like clean linens, table clothes or the carpeting. I don't know what it is. But it has a smell and when I'm eating in a restaurant somewhere and I smell it, I immediately think of being on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

2. The sound of the ship. The ship makes noise, it hums and you can hear the wind blowing while on board. It's a sound that is unique to a cruise ship.

3. The movement. The single most important thing that lets me know I'm on a ship and not on land! Even during the calmest of waters, I still feel slight movements here and there. It's a great feeling!

We like to board as early as possible, get a lay of the land (er...ship) and then grab a cocktail, find a seat near the railing on the side where people are boarding and watch the latecomers come racing on (knowing we are already settled in)!! It's tradition!

Sleep. I love the feeling of being rocked to sleep. I have terrible insomnia at home and rarely get a good nights sleep. Somehow, the insomnia is never an issue on a ship.

I am exactly the same way, I sleep like a baby on cruises. It's so wonderful! And, I can sleep anywhere on a ship...our private joke is when I tell my husband I am going on deck to find somewhere quiet to read and he says, have a nice nap!

I love getting to the port at about 10 am. Checking in and sitting in the D+ or Suite area watching and studying all the passengers. There is a great sense of excitment around. Then when they finally allow boarding..........YAHOO!!!!!!!here we go!

I tend to walk around the ship really late (or early depending on what you consider 3AM). I love the feeling of having the whole big ship to myself. I also love the conversations I have with the crew who also happen to be walking around at that time (maintenance guys, bar tenders, whomever else).

But I think the most unusual thing I look forward to is trying to catch the crew changing the day of the week on the elevator floors. I feel like I caught someone doing something they shouldn't be doing. I have even changed the day of the week a few times.

For me, the (maybe not so unusual) thing I most look forward to are the sounds. The horn signalling our departure, the hum of the engines, the swoosh of the water being pushed out from the sides of the ship as you walk the promenade, the churning of the wake, that suck/gush of wind when you open your cabin door, the live music on deck and at Schooners, and of course, the DING of my seapass card.

I love getting to the port at about 10 am. Checking in and sitting in the D+ or Suite area watching and studying all the passengers. There is a great sense of excitment around. Then when they finally allow boarding..........YAHOO!!!!!!!here we go!

I know what you mean. Waiting in the terminal is the peak of my months-long anticipation.

Getting to the terminal and standing in line people watching – as they get out of the cab/bus/car…just watching them and playfully making up stories about them. Some are dressed to the 9’s while others look like they are just crawling out of bed. Watching how much luggage people have – amazing! :eek:

Finley getting through the line and getting our sea-pass card :cool:

Housekeeping (as mentioned earlier) then standing out on our balcony knowing this is our personal space for a whole week! Bring on the sail away drink ;):p

For me, it's sitting down in the Windjammer with my over-full ;) plate for lunch. At that point, I just breathe a sigh of relief. Aaahhhh, I'm on vacation. 2 and a half weeks until I'll be breathing that sigh on Oasis :D!!! --Katie

It's that first cup of tea in the WJ at lunch, I think--the Lipton orange herbal--that makes the start of the cruise for me. I haven't found that particular tea on land at home, and what I have found that is like it isn't at all the same. And of course, isn't served to me by others, at a meal I haven't had to cook and won't have to clean up after! :D

Archived