Requesting no solicitation onboard

MJinAK

On a recent cruise, I was solicited by other passengers who were part of a group traveling together that are part of a mlm company selling a "nutrional drink". For me that was way worse than the regular Princess sales. :(

Actually, I believe that's more than annoying. I think it also violates the terms of the passenger contract that everyone agrees to when accessing the Cruise Personalizer. I definitely would have reported that to the PSD.

Actually, I believe that's more than annoying. I think it also violates the terms of the passenger contract that everyone agrees to when accessing the Cruise Personalizer. I definitely would have reported that to the PSD.

Yes, section 12 of the contract. Only allowed with prior written Company permission.

Penalty for violating this is being disembarked without any refund or compensation.

I have not sailed on Princess before, but one of the big detractors for me on Celebrity was that the staff would interrupt us by the pool or during breakfast to try to sell us stuff (usually drinks, sometimes souvenirs). It reminded me of being hounded on the streets of Mexico.

I've read in some reviews that Princess does this as well. Is there a polite cue I could give on my upcoming cruise to let the staff know that if I want something, I will ask? Something akin to a "no solicitation" sign you might find in an office window?

Thanks.

Frankly, if this is significant for you, then you need to look at other vacations. ALL the cruiselines do this and actually I'm THANKFUL, it matters nothing to me, to just say no- but the significant source of revenue is what keeps the prices of my cruises low. :) They will keep offering to sell as long as people buy- which, I speculate by the looks of it- will continue.

If I saw a 'no solicitation' sign on a table I'd probably fall of the floor laughing. Not because I'd think it was funny.

Maureen

That's what I was thinking too. I'd bet they'd get more people bothering them by asking about the sign and if it meant THEY don't want to solicit LOL. Honestly I can't think of anything more tacky and self involved/self important. At least everyone on the cruise would know who these people were because I can't imagine that sign not being a dinner discussion around the ship.

The only one who bothered me on our Sapphire Princess cruise last month was the maitre d'. He took the mic one night to talk about the wine tasting the next day. I thought it was tacky.

As others have said, just politely saying "no" to bar waiters and photographers works. On one cruise, though, we had fun with the photographer and switched up partners at dinner. It was great when she got around the table and suddenly found two guys were the only couple she had not photographed.

We were on Ruby last week and when the photographer tried to take our picture in Sabatines during dinner, my husband said "no thank you, we're married to other people and don't want to be photographed together" :) The look on her face was priceless- she didn't bother us again

How is that the fault of Princess?

No, not the fault of Princess at all, just an observation. I am quite fine with the Princess upsells, and not bothered by it. Glad to hear from the other posters that it is not proper conduct according to Princess. I had one sales rep from the drink company try to get my personal information while we were on the rather pricey Ultimate Tour which made it a bit uncomfortable.

Eye contact can be a big factor. Kind of like with panhandlers. ;) If you avoid eye contact with the waiters around the pool or in a lounge, they often don't bother you. If you need something, look around for them and make eye contact, and they will come running. If they do wander towards you when you don't want anything, a quick shake of your head or "no thanks" is enough.

As for the photographers, we find that it's often easier to just let them take the picture than to argue with them. It only takes a few seconds, and we often get a good laugh over the photos later. We rarely buy them.

I was on the Caribbean Princess in June and my husband and I were a little surprised at how many times we were asked to purchase something extra. I am used to the photographers and the soda cards and spa staff , but at Sabatini's and the Crown Grill we were given a pitch about the champagne breakfast on our balconey. In the main dining room we were told many times about the up coming wine tastings and about how much we would enjoy it. In the bar I ordered a glass of wine and had to listen to the waiter explain why it would be so much cheaper to get the whole bottle! I just thought it went a touch further this time around!

The only one who bothered me on our Sapphire Princess cruise last month was the maitre d'. He took the mic one night to talk about the wine tasting the next day. I thought it was tacky.

Admittedly, after 15+ Princess wine tastings, I still know very little about wine. I have mastered swirling after lots of practice. Still don't taste pears, apple or oak. But, I do enjoy attending and taking more than my share of the cheese and crackers.

So, I would have to say it is fine with me if the maitre'd takes a mic to announce the wine tasting or the server signs me up at our table. It's all good.

Admittedly, after 15+ Princess wine tastings, I still know very little about wine. I have mastered swirling after lots of practice. Still don't taste pears, apple or oak. But, I do enjoy attending and taking more than my share of the cheese and crackers.

So, I would have to say it is fine with me if the maitre'd takes a mic to announce the wine tasting or the server signs me up at our table. It's all good.

We grab the shot glasses & leave ASAP.

No, not the fault of Princess at all, just an observation. I am quite fine with the Princess upsells, and not bothered by it. Glad to hear from the other posters that it is not proper conduct according to Princess. I had one sales rep from the drink company try to get my personal information while we were on the rather pricey Ultimate Tour which made it a bit uncomfortable.

I am glad we have not encountered any people trying to market products during our cruises. :eek:

Several times when the photographers approach I have called them over (they usually come running because they think I want a special photo). I then whisper in their ear, "No photos, please. She's not my wife."

I've never been bothered a second time.

Too funny! I also find it humorous that some of you took the "no solicitation" sign literally. Just the mental image made me giggle!

Thanks for the tips on writing "no upsell" at the spa and the napkin trick. It's also nice to know you can skip by the port characters rather than waiting in line for a photo, although some are awfully cute and worth the stop.

Of course a waiter in a bar will offer to get you a drink and a barista will recommend getting a coffee card. Besides someone trying to sell cookbooks during dinner, none of the things you all have mentioned sound inappropriate or invasive.

I may try trading off with my husband - one day he can say no all day and I can relax, and then the next day we'll swap.

Too funny! I also find it humorous that some of you took the "no solicitation" sign literally. Just the mental image made me giggle!

Thanks for the tips on writing "no upsell" at the spa and the napkin trick. It's also nice to know you can skip by the port characters rather than waiting in line for a photo, although some are awfully cute and worth the stop.

Of course a waiter in a bar will offer to get you a drink and a barista will recommend getting a coffee card. Besides someone trying to sell cookbooks during dinner, none of the things you all have mentioned sound inappropriate or invasive.

I may try trading off with my husband - one day he can say no all day and I can relax, and then the next day we'll swap.

MJ, you naughty girl! You sure got me! Very funny.

As others have said, just politely saying "no" to bar waiters and photographers works. On one cruise, though, we had fun with the photographer and switched up partners at dinner. It was great when she got around the table and suddenly found two guys were the only couple she had not photographed.

WHAT? No, that is just not okay to interrupt everyone's dinner with an announcement that is not an emergency. :eek:

Hi All

Would love to meet some one trying to sell me a time share or something similar, while on a cruise

would give the crew a chance to practice their man over board drill.

yours Shogun

HILARIOUS!!!!

Really, my worst experience has been the spa. I went for a pedicure and the entire time, the young woman doing it was grilling me about my facial skin and beauty routine, sort of acting like she was making small talk with me. By the end of the pedicure, she was pushing me to decide which of her skincare regimes would be the best for me. Seriously, I just paid $65+ to have my toenails painted for formal night, I really don't want to spend another $200+ for skincare products I will probably not use or not like.

I have no problem saying "no thanks" to anyone, but those women in the spa have a snooty way of acting like you don't care about your appearance if you don't want to drop a big chunk of change on products.

That was my experience, anyway.

Really, my worst experience has been the spa. I went for a pedicure and the entire time, the young woman doing it was grilling me about my facial skin and beauty routine, sort of acting like she was making small talk with me. By the end of the pedicure, she was pushing me to decide which of her skincare regimes would be the best for me.

This surprises me a little. I was actually expecting it but when I had my hair and make-up done for my wedding and she did not attempt to sell me one single thing. Maybe they're not supposed to do that to brides? They might figure brides have enough to deal with and are likely to rip their head off if they attempt that hard sell crap, lol.

Actually, I can't think of a single time that we were approached to buy anything on board except for whatever the specialty drink of the evening was at our dinner table. We spend more of our time on the promenade deck than by the pools but even in areas like the photo gallery and in the spa where you expect them to "sell you" we did not get the feeling we were being pressured (or even asked) to buy anything.

My last 5 cruises were on Celebrity and I didn't feel the 'upsell' was out of the ordinary.

What many of you have said is true - don't make eye contact, no thanks, etc.

What I often do with the photographers is just let them take the darn picture. I don't buy most of them but I've actually bought a few that turned out cute.

I did not notice this on any Princess cruises I took, except............at the dining table. They really like to "push":rolleyes: the liquor. I say, if after the first or second time during the cruise people order liquor, than that is fine, but don't keep pushing it every night.:rolleyes:

My last 5 cruises were on Celebrity and I didn't feel the 'upsell' was out of the ordinary.

I agree. This thread makes it sound like Princess is worse than anything we've experienced on Celebrity. Most of it doesn't bother me, but I'm not crazy about the apparent amount of upselling going on in the dining room. We prefer to have an interrupted dinner. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as it sounds. I'm looking forward to finding out next month. :D

I have not sailed on Princess before, but one of the big detractors for me on Celebrity was that the staff would interrupt us by the pool or during breakfast to try to sell us stuff (usually drinks, sometimes souvenirs). It reminded me of being hounded on the streets of Mexico.

I've read in some reviews that Princess does this as well. Is there a polite cue I could give on my upcoming cruise to let the staff know that if I want something, I will ask? Something akin to a "no solicitation" sign you might find in an office window?

Thanks.

As others have suggested just say no thank you! If you want to avoid solicitation you need to book a luxury cruise line. Mainstream lines sell lower priced cabins and increase their revenue by selling stuff onboard. And by the way if you did not like it on Celebrity you are really going to be disappointed. On Princess. There is more of it on Princess than Celebrity.

Archived