Veendam failed latest cdc inspection

Good point Jimmy2x. But then 1 out of 10 passengers tells maybe a two or three people, and they tell maybe three or four people, then sooner or later, people who choose their voyages carefully have their questions answered, and they don't need to be members of Cruise Critic to get the drift. But the newbies, who don't know where to look or who to ask will find themselves on the ship. Heck, even experienced cruisers found themselves on the Veendam after it failed inspection: my husband and I were two of them on Aug 19. How many repeat customers are likey?

I can't help but wonder what the passengers response to the survey was at the end of that cruise, or how many passengers purchased a future voyage? As for myself, it was the first time in many years I didn't purchase a future cruise credit (or deposit, or whatever it's called these days). But no worries, there will be passengers who are willing to pay the price, especially as the fare is reduced. -S.

You and some of others may well be correct. OTH, we are all so bombarded with all sorts of information on a daily basis that a relatively small item like this may well be lost in the shuffle. Those of us that frequent CC do so because we are REALLY interested (in my case obsessed;)) with cruising. Most people, not so much.

I've noted with interest that Veendam is doing an 18 day Hawaii cruise in 2014, RT from San Diego. It certainly peeks my interest, in spite of the stupid Retreat.

If only the air conditioning and plumbing issues were addressed, then Veendam would be in great shape.

Don't forget the net over the dining room ceiling light fixtures.

Sorry, but that is tackiness (if that is a word) that I am not going to pay to see!

Really not too far off the subject, does Holland America Line "Deep Clean" their cabins (they charge smokers $250 for this) after the RSVP "Gay" cruises? I imagine the carpets could use a spiffing up. I don't know if the Coast Guard has a check list for these things, but I'd wear slippers.

Really not too far off the subject, does Holland America Line "Deep Clean" their cabins (they charge smokers $250 for this) after the RSVP "Gay" cruises? I imagine the carpets could use a spiffing up. I don't know if the Coast Guard has a check list for these things, but I'd wear slippers.

Exactly what are you implying? HAL never cleans carpets? Carpets only need cleaning after a RSVP "Gay" cruise? or You have homophobic tootsies?

Personally I do think this is too far off the topic!

The U.S. Coast Guard has lots of check lists however, is not in the habit of checking the physical status of stateroom carpets. They're a bit more occupied checking onboard safety issues such as lifeboat and raft operational condition, crew emergency responses, procedures, drills, training records, etc.

My Quebec brother sent some pics of the harbor, one of which showed the Veendam. I called my TA and asked if they switched the Trashdam for the Maasdam and, if so, my May cruise is off -- no joking. She called HAL and said it was there on another cruise and the Maas is taking the usual run next year. I was greatly relieved.

My Quebec brother sent some pics of the harbor, one of which showed the Veendam. I called my TA and asked if they switched the Trashdam for the Maasdam and, if so, my May cruise is off -- no joking. She called HAL and said it was there on another cruise and the Maas is taking the usual run next year. I was greatly relieved.

Both Maasdam and Veendam will do Boston to Montreal to Boston but while one embarks in Boston, the other will embark/debark in Montreal.

However, Veendam is taking over Voyage of the Vikings and has a one time 7 day Boston to Boston cruise.

Maasdam will do the Boston to Montreal to Boston itinerary all season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On reinspection, Veendam -- score 92 -- still ranks among the worst of all cruise ships. Admittedly an improvement over the 77 which set a record for filthiest of the year.

But before HAL's cheerleaders wet their knickers celebrating Veendam's hardly impressive, abeit no-longer-failing, score let's put it in context.

Here's the full list of scores of the most recent inspection of all the major cruise lines' ships, totalling nearly 150.

HAL's Rotterdam still scores the lowest passing score of any major line's vessels. Fail is 85 or worse.

And Veendam, while no longer the only ship from a major line to 'fail' is still among the worst on the filthiest list.

Sorted by score and then alphabetically. HAL ships bolded

Atlantica Costa 100

Dawn Norwegian 100

Deliziosa Costa 100

Dream Disney 100

Fantasy Disney 100

Freedom Carnival 100

Imagination Carnival 100

Jewel Norwegian 100

Liberty Carnival 100

Pearl Norwegian 100

Pride Carnival 100

Splendor Carnival 100

Sun Norwegian 100

Aurora P&O 100

Bremen Hapag Lloyd 100

Caribbean Princess 100

Coral Princess 100

Diamond Princess 100

Emerald Princess 100

Eurodam Holland America 100

Jewel RCI 100

Lirica MSC 100

Mariner RCI 100

Nieuw Amsterdam Holland America 100

Oceania Marina Oceania 100

Queen Elizabeth Cunard 100

Queen Mary 2 Cunard 100

Serenade RCI 100

Symphony Crystal 100

Zuiderdam Holland America 100

Constellation Celebrity 99

Mediterranea Costa 99

Valor Carnival 99

Adventure RCI 99

Crown Princess 99

Grand Princess 99

Liberty RCI 99

Majesty RCI 99

Noordam Holland America 99

Oosterdam Holland America 99

Radiance RCI 99

Ventura P&O 99

Volendam Holland America 99

Wind Silversea 99

Elation Carnival 98

Fantasy Carnival 98

Infinity Celebrity 98

Cloud Silversea 98

Europa Hapag Lloyd 98

Golden Princess 98

Legend RCI 98

Navigator RCI 98

Prinsendam Holland America 98

Queen Victoria Cunard 98

Sapphire Princess 98

Sea Princess 98

Sea Lion Lindblad 98

Serenity Crystal 98

Statendam Holland America 98

Whisper Silversea 98

Zaandam Holland America 98

Century Celebrity 97

Equinox Celebrity 97

Gem Norwegian 97

Magic Carnival 97

Quest Seabourn 97

Silhouette Celebrity 97

Sky Norwegian 97

Spirit Carnival 97

Spirit Norwegian 97

Star Norwegian 97

Allure RCI 97

Azura P&O 97

Brilliance RCI 97

Dawn Princess 97

Enchantment RCI 97

Grandeur RCI 97

Mariner Regent 97

Oasis RCI 97

Rhapsody RCI 97

Ruby Princess 97

Ryndam Holland America 97

Sea Bird Lindblad 97

Spirit Silversea 97

Vision RCI 97

Conquest Carnival 96

Destiny Carnival 96

Eclipse Celebrity 96

Inspiration Carnival 96

Miracle Carnival 96

Odyssey Seabourn 96

Paradise Carnival 96

Triumph Carnival 96

Victory Carnival 96

Adonia P&O 96

Freedom RCI 96

Island Princess 96

Journey Azamara 96

Ocean Princess 96

Orchestra MSC 96

Regatta Oceania 96

Voyager RCI 96

Ecstasy Carnival 95

Legend Carnival 95

Legend Seabourn 95

Magic Disney 95

Solstice Celebrity 95

Wonder Disney 95

Braemar Fred Olsen 95

Columbus 2 Hapag Lloyd 95

Explorer RCI 95

Independence RCI 95

Maasdam Holland America 95

Monarch RCI 95

Oceana P&O 95

Oriana P&O 95

Pacific Princess 95

Shadow Silversea 95

Westerdam Holland America 95

Glory Carnival 94

Amsterdam Holland America 94

Arcadia P&O 94

Hanseatic Hapag Lloyd 94

Poesia MSC 94

Quest Azamara 94

Sun Princess 94

Dream Carnival 93

Fascination Carnival 93

Fortuna Costa 93

Sensation Carnival 93

Spirit Seabourn 93

Star Princess 93

Epic Norwegian 92

National Geographic Explorer Lindblad 92

Navigator Regent 92

Veendam Holland America 92

Voyager Regent 91

Millennium Celebrity 90

Sojourn Seabourn 90

Summit Celebrity 90

Balmoral Fred Olsen Cruise Line 90

Pride Seabourn 89

Rotterdam Holland America 86

On reinspection, Veendam -- score 92 -- still ranks among the worst of all cruise ships. Admittedly an improvement over the 77 which set a record for filthiest of the year.

But before HAL's cheerleaders wet their knickers celebrating Veendam's hardly impressive, abeit no-longer-failing, score let's put it in context.

Here's the full list of scores of the most recent inspection of all the major cruise lines' ships, totalling nearly 150.

HAL's Rotterdam still scores the lowest passing score of any major line's vessels. Fail is 85 or worse.

And Veendam, while no longer the only ship from a major line to 'fail' is still among the worst on the filthiest list.

Sorted by score and then alphabetically. HAL ships bolded

Atlantica Costa 100

Dawn Norwegian 100

Deliziosa Costa 100

Dream Disney 100

Fantasy Disney 100

Freedom Carnival 100

Imagination Carnival 100

Jewel Norwegian 100

Liberty Carnival 100

Pearl Norwegian 100

Pride Carnival 100

Splendor Carnival 100

Sun Norwegian 100

Aurora P&O 100

Bremen Hapag Lloyd 100

Caribbean Princess 100

Coral Princess 100

Diamond Princess 100

Emerald Princess 100

Eurodam Holland America 100

Jewel RCI 100

Lirica MSC 100

Mariner RCI 100

Nieuw Amsterdam Holland America 100

Oceania Marina Oceania 100

Queen Elizabeth Cunard 100

Queen Mary 2 Cunard 100

Serenade RCI 100

Symphony Crystal 100

Zuiderdam Holland America 100

Constellation Celebrity 99

Mediterranea Costa 99

Valor Carnival 99

Adventure RCI 99

Crown Princess 99

Grand Princess 99

Liberty RCI 99

Majesty RCI 99

Noordam Holland America 99

Oosterdam Holland America 99

Radiance RCI 99

Ventura P&O 99

Volendam Holland America 99

Wind Silversea 99

Elation Carnival 98

Fantasy Carnival 98

Infinity Celebrity 98

Cloud Silversea 98

Europa Hapag Lloyd 98

Golden Princess 98

Legend RCI 98

Navigator RCI 98

Prinsendam Holland America 98

Queen Victoria Cunard 98

Sapphire Princess 98

Sea Princess 98

Sea Lion Lindblad 98

Serenity Crystal 98

Statendam Holland America 98

Whisper Silversea 98

Zaandam Holland America 98

Century Celebrity 97

Equinox Celebrity 97

Gem Norwegian 97

Magic Carnival 97

Quest Seabourn 97

Silhouette Celebrity 97

Sky Norwegian 97

Spirit Carnival 97

Spirit Norwegian 97

Star Norwegian 97

Allure RCI 97

Azura P&O 97

Brilliance RCI 97

Dawn Princess 97

Enchantment RCI 97

Grandeur RCI 97

Mariner Regent 97

Oasis RCI 97

Rhapsody RCI 97

Ruby Princess 97

Ryndam Holland America 97

Sea Bird Lindblad 97

Spirit Silversea 97

Vision RCI 97

Conquest Carnival 96

Destiny Carnival 96

Eclipse Celebrity 96

Inspiration Carnival 96

Miracle Carnival 96

Odyssey Seabourn 96

Paradise Carnival 96

Triumph Carnival 96

Victory Carnival 96

Adonia P&O 96

Freedom RCI 96

Island Princess 96

Journey Azamara 96

Ocean Princess 96

Orchestra MSC 96

Regatta Oceania 96

Voyager RCI 96

Ecstasy Carnival 95

Legend Carnival 95

Legend Seabourn 95

Magic Disney 95

Solstice Celebrity 95

Wonder Disney 95

Braemar Fred Olsen 95

Columbus 2 Hapag Lloyd 95

Explorer RCI 95

Independence RCI 95

Maasdam Holland America 95

Monarch RCI 95

Oceana P&O 95

Oriana P&O 95

Pacific Princess 95

Shadow Silversea 95

Westerdam Holland America 95

Glory Carnival 94

Amsterdam Holland America 94

Arcadia P&O 94

Hanseatic Hapag Lloyd 94

Poesia MSC 94

Quest Azamara 94

Sun Princess 94

Dream Carnival 93

Fascination Carnival 93

Fortuna Costa 93

Sensation Carnival 93

Spirit Seabourn 93

Star Princess 93

Epic Norwegian 92

National Geographic Explorer Lindblad 92

Navigator Regent 92

Veendam Holland America 92

Voyager Regent 91

Millennium Celebrity 90

Sojourn Seabourn 90

Summit Celebrity 90

Balmoral Fred Olsen Cruise Line 90

Pride Seabourn 89

Rotterdam Holland America 86

No support from me for the failing grade BUT I can't help but laugh as I look at the list. It's all a moment of time - some of the top scoring ships once failed abysmally as well:p

I totally agree that no ship should fail and there should be no excuse - but it definitely has happened to a number of them:eek:

Also worthy to note - some of the luxury lines are not scoring 100 or even in the top either - interesting no? wait for 6 months and it will all change again!

Failure to pass a CDC inspection would not necessarily deter us from avoiding a ship.

I have no doubt that HAL will quickly address the issues. The problems have probably already been rectified and measures put in place to ensure that they will not happen again.

We won't consider Veendam for other reasons. For us, it it a broken ship that Hal seems unwilling or unable to fix. To add insult to injury per diem fares are in the medium to high range while our perception of the 'value' is at the bottom of the scale.

It is shame really. HAL is a great cruise line. Veendam only serves to detract from that image and reputation.

Thank you SO much for your reassurance, NOT!!!

We look forward, I hope, to our cruise in South America in February............

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Veendam is now totally up to par. The food is excellent, you can eat off the floors if you desire, and......the cabins are spotless. I am on the ship at the moment and would encourge all that the ship is now excellent. My first voyage on the Veendam was in 1996...second 1998 and thne now. Certainly the ship is older, but the ship is full of friendly, helpful and courteous staff... If the Veendam is on itinerary that I would like to take, I will certainly be on her again. The entertainment has been superb and the Hotel Manager and his staff have this ship running excellently. So, I think it time to put to rest Veendam issues. For a 16 year old ship, I can not believe what pristine ship it is in now..

The Veendam is now totally up to par. The food is excellent, you can eat off the floors if you desire, and......the cabins are spotless. I am on the ship at the moment and would encourge all that the ship is now excellent. My first voyage on the Veendam was in 1996...second 1998 and thne now. Certainly the ship is older, but the ship is full of friendly, helpful and courteous staff... If the Veendam is on itinerary that I would like to take, I will certainly be on her again. The entertainment has been superb and the Hotel Manager and his staff have this ship running excellently. So, I think it time to put to rest Veendam issues. For a 16 year old ship, I can not believe what pristine ship it is in now..

Thank you for the update. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Are you by any chance David, the art director, now on the Veendam?

Thank you for your assurance but I am still worried about air conditioning and plumbing. We have a cruise booked on her but I am very uneasy about those issues..... no small matter IMO

I'll be paying close attention to reports about Veendam to see what current cruisers report.

Given the above question,

If you are a guest aboard...... enjoy.

If you are working aboard, safe sailing.

We just got off the Veendam last Monday. One of our friend's rooms had a crack in the glass in the door. Another friend's room was too cold for a few nights. Our room was too warm for a few nights. Nothing really bad just a little uncomfortable.

Our friends with the cracked glass were moved to another room that they had no trouble with.

Overall the only other problems we noticed was a distinct sewage small on the 8th floor right outside the Pinnacle on the day before eh cruise ended. It lasted about 30 minutes, The door to the Pinnacle had to be closed.

I can say that other than the expected wear and tear the ship looked pretty good for its age.

The food was some of the best we have had on HAL. The crew as usual was outstanding.

Archived