In lieu of Veendam issues

wscott52

I have never experienced them on the lines we sail.

We were concerned about this when we stayed at a hotel in NYC for a pre-cruise a couple of years ago because of all the press so we kept all the items in the suitcases and kept them closed after pulling out or putting back items and we kept them off the food. We also brought large bags to put around those bags we weren't using during our stay.

Keith

I have never experienced them on the lines we sail.

We were concerned about this when we stayed at a hotel in NYC for a pre-cruise a couple of years ago because of all the press so we kept all the items in the suitcases and kept them closed after pulling out or putting back items and we kept them off the food. We also brought large bags to put around those bags we weren't using during our stay.

Keith

Similar when we sailed from Boston. Uneasy about bedbugs in hotel even though a good one. Big bags around suitcases eased concerned. Relief and no worries once on ship!

We always try to keep them off the food. icon12.gif Just "bugging" you for the typo. No offense meant. Sometimes have to put them on the floor, though.

I have a phobia about bedbugs. And other insects.

First thing I do when I enter a new motel room (or cruise cabin) is put the luggage in the bathroom and do a search of the room. I have several flashlights and a maginifying glass. I will take apart the bedding looking for tell-tale signs. When I sleep, I wake up several times a night and shine a flashlight on my body looking for movement.

I also have a fear of chiggers, stinkbugs, lice, mites, scabbies and fleas. Doctors will no longer look when I ask, What's this red bumb from?

Spiders will eat many pests. I understand that ants will eat bedbugs. And insecticides are not good for humans either.

I think some precaution is worth the effort, but don't let it get you carried away. There are probably more critical details of life worth your time.

Thanks, it's reassuring that no one here has encountered them. I'm still going to look at the mattresses.

Waited too long to edit this. I decided to do a quick Google search and found good and bad. Bed bugs have been found on cruise ships but the good news is they appear to be pretty rare and are aggressively exterminated when found:

Ooops.

Definitely going to check bedding now.

Edit:

Thought my link would make it but apparently not, just Google it.

Not sure what the CDC inspection has to do with bedbugs. And having read the inspection report, didn't see any mention of bedbugs. The inspection usually focuses on food prep, serving and storage areas.

It has nothing to do with bed bugs. The thread on the report just started me thinking and bed bugs was one thing it started me thinking of, since, you know, they're both health/sanitation related issues.

I have a phobia about bedbugs. And other insects.

First thing I do when I enter a new motel room (or cruise cabin) is put the luggage in the bathroom and do a search of the room. I have several flashlights and a maginifying glass. I will take apart the bedding looking for tell-tale signs. When I sleep, I wake up several times a night and shine a flashlight on my body looking for movement.

I also have a fear of chiggers, stinkbugs, lice, mites, scabbies and fleas. Doctors will no longer look when I ask, What's this red bumb from?

Spiders will eat many pests. I understand that ants will eat bedbugs. And insecticides are not good for humans either.

I think some precaution is worth the effort, but don't let it get you carried away. There are probably more critical details of life worth your time.

Several flashlights-magnifying glass- and illuminate your body several times during your sleeping hours in search of critters and then advise `don`t let it get you carried away`. Got it!!

Archived