Best credit card for travel?

sr5242

Hello,

I am sailing out of Barcelona in a week, and have not traveled in Europe in over a decade.

I am wondering which credit cards to bring with and how many.

I have the following:

Chase freedom MC

Royal Caribbean Visa

American Express (Costco)

I plan to bring my capital one ATM card for my money market account, and an a prepaid American Express card as well.

Thanks!

Don't bring the American Express. Not widely used in Europe. Don't bring the pre-paid card. Has been problems with those.

The other two will be fine. Bring both in case of an issue. Make sure you notify the banks you will be in Europe. Helps avoid issues, but doesn't absolutely prevent issues.

The ATM should be fine. Again, notify the bank. Use only in bank ATMs in Europe.

All this has been covered extensively on the Europe boards, repeatedly.

A note from my banks in Canada. The PIN numbers for my cards are four digits but could be made longer for use within Canada. I was warned that overseas, no machine can them use it. Bottom line, PINs must be four digits for travel. Also, some places use a PIN for credit cards and you MUST know it.

Have fun.

I would bring all three just in case.

If you had time I would have recommended getting a Capital One Credit Card since it is one of the few cards that doesn't charge an foreign transaction fee on each purchase.

In the meantime, go ahead and contact each bank of the credit cards and the atm card to let them know your travel dates so they don't think these transactions are fraud related.

Keith

MasterCard and Visa are more widely accepted than American Express, so if you want to bring two, I'd pick those.

As others have said, there are a couple of credit cards that do not charge the (usually 3%) foreign conversion fee on purchases made outside the US. If you travel much, it may be worth looking into. Capital One is the one I have.

I know the original poster didn't ask, but for anyone wondering, the Discover card is almost worthless in Europe. Very, few few places accept it.

Gee so sorry to have burdened you. Won't happen again

99.99% of all questions on Cruise Critic are asked more than once and on multiple forum areas. Nothing wrong with this thread. If people don't want to respond, that's their issue and not yours.

In any case, the Capital One debit card is great. We also carry the Capital One credit card because it also charges nothing extra in terms of foreign translation or transaction fees. Keith's suggestion above about getting both Capital One credit and debit cards was one I took from regulars on this board over a year ago. In addition, we bring our debit/ATM card of our local bank as a "just in case".

With respect to PIN numbers, ours are set at four digits. The other issue is that US credit cards don't have magnetic chips and can only be used where your card can be "swiped" and not inserted. Gas stations and Metro stations may not accept US credit cards into the automated machines. But your debit card probably would not be an issue as those machines where cards are inserted do work where you can enter your four digit PIN. I did try to use a credit card at a METRO station in Paris and it was rejected. My debit card worked fine. That was the only issue I had with any card in four days in Paris and 12 days on a British Isles cruise.

Bring all three but leave one in the safe.

Many places in Europe do not accept AmEx so plan accordingly.

Do not walk the streets with all three in your pocket as you will have a problem if all three should go missing. One in the safe gives you peace of mind.

There are some Chase cards that do not charge a foreign exchange rate. Contact your bank to see if yours is one of them.

AND be sure to contact banks you will be traveling, where you will be and that you may be using your cards. They could be denied if they do not know you are traveling.

Have a great trip. :)

I would bring all three just in case.

If you had time I would have recommended getting a Capital One Credit Card since it is one of the few cards that doesn't charge an foreign transaction fee on each purchase.

In the meantime, go ahead and contact each bank of the credit cards and the atm card to let them know your travel dates so they don't think these transactions are fraud related.

Keith

Anybody else have trouble getting ANYONE in the banks to be able to answer with some hope of it being true the answer to "what is the foreign transaction fee and what is the ATM fee on foreign withdrawals with YOUR bank?" It takes forever and they have so many problems finding the answers that I don't really trust that the answer is correct.

Don't notify on line since I can't seem to find the place on the bank site that allows to do this. I travel internationally at least 3 times a year and always it is like "? you are going to a foreign country?". I live 15 miles from the nation's capital! We are very provincial here:confused: Foreign funds are very hard to get (at least from a local branch) and to change currencies is very hard compared to what I do in foreign countries and with language problems. I guess the world should just speak English and use the $ so it is easier for us. :D

Anybody else have trouble getting ANYONE in the banks to be able to answer with some hope of it being true the answer to "what is the foreign transaction fee and what is the ATM fee on foreign withdrawals with YOUR bank?" It takes forever and they have so many problems finding the answers that I don't really trust that the answer is correct.

Don't notify on line since I can't seem to find the place on the bank site that allows to do this. I travel internationally at least 3 times a year and always it is like "? you are going to a foreign country?". I live 15 miles from the nation's capital! We are very provincial here:confused: Foreign funds are very hard to get (at least from a local branch) and to change currencies is very hard compared to what I do in foreign countries and with language problems. I guess the world should just speak English and use the $ so it is easier for us. :D

This lists all foreign transaction and ATM fees for all major US banks.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

:D Frustrating.........

I called one of our banks to notify them we would be traveling and possibly using the card. When I said we were going to Alaska, she said, "Hold On, I will connect you with our International Department." :rolleyes: Huh???!!!! I had not mentioned cruise or Canada. She thought Alaska was some foreign country. Sigh........

Hello,

I am sailing out of Barcelona in a week, and have not traveled in Europe in over a decade.

I am wondering which credit cards to bring with and how many.

I have the following:

Chase freedom MC

Royal Caribbean Visa

American Express (Costco)

I plan to bring my capital one ATM card for my money market account, and an a prepaid American Express card as well.

Thanks!

Take your Visa card

Archived