Remember to wait before sipping your drink at the Molecular Bar

uktog

I know they are very careful at the Molecular Bar and most people do not go near their drink until the Ice effects have subsided, but here is a timely reminder why the bar staff will tell you to leave the drink for a while before starting it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19866191

I saw a guy on Eclipse call a barman a spoil sport when he was keeping the drinks slightly out of its reach, hopefully he now might understand why

Wow! That's worrying. I do think these cocktails should come with a health warning. I enjoyed a couple of these molecular bar drinks last cruise.

Thanks for the link uktog. It's being discussed right now on This Morning show.

Last time on Equinox, my wife wanted to sip while the concotion was still fuming...I was just in time to stop her...

I agree that the bartenders should warn passengers not to try the cocktails before the effect of the dry ice has disappeared.

My favourite drink in the Molecular bar was "Coming up roses" See those petals freeze was something.

Brian the bartender on Solstice always wore thick industrial gloves when handling "that stuff" so that made us mindful not to sip the drink too quickly after it was made.

hmmmm.....I posted this same article yesterday in a thread and it was removed. I have no clue why since the article is specifically about molecular bars and risks. Maybe this thread will stay....

this is one of the dumbest things I have heard of.

This "trick" is not new, it has been around for many years. Its used in food preparation etc.

Unfortunately, it is a total gimmick that adds nothing to the flavor of a cocktail. All it does is make it "look" interesting.

Why anyone would think its cool to walk around with a drink that is smoking/fogging is beyond me.

Its all show. There is a sushi restaurant near my house that does this with a particular dish, they put dry ice in a little dish of water next to the sushi and it "smokes"

Gee, how friggin cool...not....

This "trick" is not new, it has been around for many years. Its used in food preparation etc.

Unfortunately, it is a total gimmick that adds nothing to the flavor of a cocktail. All it does is make it "look" interesting.

Why anyone would think its cool to walk around with a drink that is smoking/fogging is beyond me.

Its all show. There is a sushi restaurant near my house that does this with a particular dish, they put dry ice in a little dish of water next to the sushi and it "smokes"

It is more than a gimmick. It is used in many of the worlds best restaurants. It significantly alters the texture, impacts the taste and enables difficult to freeze liquids to be able to be frozen (I.e. to make a boozy ice cream).

My favourite drink in the Molecular bar was "Coming up roses" See those petals freeze was something.

Brian the bartender on Solstice always wore thick industrial gloves when handling "that stuff" so that made us mindful not to sip the drink too quickly after it was made.

Heading out on the Equinox..."coming up roses" sounds yummmy!....are there other drinks that you really liked?

Di

LOL, "Tell us how you really feel":rolleyes:

Heading out on the Equinox..."coming up roses" sounds yummmy!....are there other drinks that you really liked?

Di

Try a Watermelon Felon:D:);)

I know they are very careful at the Molecular Bar and most people do not go near their drink until the Ice effects have subsided, but here is a timely reminder why the bar staff will tell you to leave the drink for a while before starting it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19866191

I saw a guy on Eclipse call a barman a spoil sport when he was keeping the drinks slightly out of its reach, hopefully he now might understand why

I'm afraid this was not at all what we experienced on the Inaugural sailing of the Silhouette last July. I have a picture of my partner holding one of these drinks which was "smoking" and I took a picture just as he was about to take a sip.

OK I realise now that this was not a good idea but at the time (after already having consumed a few;) cocktails) we thought nothing of it.

The barman who was watching as I was taking the pictures did not give us any advice/warning about waiting before taking a sip of the drink.

We were always warned to wait until it stopped bubbling as well. Seems like it should be common sense though!

I love the frozen drinks. My favourite is the Lucky Cat. The Molecular Bar makes the Premium Package worth buying.

Archived