Celebrity Reflection Design: "Improvements" to Break the Camel's Back?

cruisetrail

Celebrity Eclipse or Celebrity Reflection?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Celebrity Eclipse or Celebrity Reflection?

• I prefer Celebrity Eclipse design
    • I prefer Celebrity Reflection design

It is a terrible shame that the front of the ship will now feature full height glass.

This means no photos.

Last month I was up at 5am to take photos from the front of the ship as we drifted into Kotor, Montenegro, on the Solstice.

No point next year, when we go through the Dardanelles to Istanbul. The sole reason I booked the Reflection for that cruise.

Whoever designed this is absolutely clueless.

:mad:

Really?

Glass fence obstructs views.

No one wants "see through" fence for scenic views.

Open unobstructed views - this is what observation area is all about.

Wind?

Do you know when and why observation decks are in demand?

Your comment tells me you have never been on S-Class front obseravation deck.

The Solstice half-height fence has such angle that there is hardly any wind a few steps back.

We thoroughly enjoyed this area on the Eclipse even at the open sea.

????

Ship design does not seem to be your strongest point.

Mistake again.

Even though the Reflection is shown at more favorable angle (from above) than the Eclipse (from below), the atrium dome has sunk on the Reflection.

?????

Please, please no blind ads here if you could.:)

Upper deck space was a problem on the Eclipse even without "245 more":eek:.

I am so sorry that people on this threat insist on clouding up the discussion with facts. The nerve of them to present facts instead of opinions when posting a rebuttal to your complaints. Truly poor manners of them, I am sure. I do hope you get apologies from each of them for the audacity of being too informed. :rolleyes:

If this is true then that is a change. On Silhouette in March there was a $5.00 charge for The Porch, although well worth it!

You may be correct. Some information I have read indicates the Porch is no fee, while some indicates at $5 per person charge. I suspect that the $5 is more accurate, and if so I was incorrect.

I was shocked when my wife pointed out the "stealing" of Sky Lounge space for the new suites. We have said several times that one of the things we really liked about the Silhouette compared to the Star Princess was the 270 degree forward centered views from the Sky Lounge. It was much nicer than SkyWalkers. Now it has views forward and only to one side. I don't know how it will seem in person, but on paper it is really a disappointment.

The full height glass will definitely hinder photo taking, and the old design did block the wind if you stepped back about 2 feet from the edge. Perhaps it lowers drag on the ship and saves fuel costs.

It also seems they've eliminated Quasar, which based on our Italy and Croatia cruise, won't matter. Not sure what the ship will do for spring break cruises though!

It also seems they've eliminated Quasar, which based on our Italy and Croatia cruise, won't matter. Not sure what the ship will do for spring break cruises though!

Quasar is a multi use area now. They can set it up for conferences, classes, dancing, or special events. I am sure they can still use it as a disco if the correct demographic is on board for certain cruises.

I will judge for myself in January 26, February 2, April 20 and May 6. That should give me a pretty good idea if I like the ship.

Non-prejudicial and unbiased in thinking, highly disciplined in refusing to jump to any conclusions based upon the unverified opinions of others. :cool:

Determined to THOROUGHLY observe BOTH sides, and FULLY examine, IN DETAIL, through personal experience, over multiple periods.... ;)

I WANNA GO, TOO !!! :D

Hi

Got a friend who is on the Reflection European "inaugural" today. She has updated me on a few changes she has noticed

1. The door arrangements have gone back to how they were on M class ships i.e. that interconnecting rooms have the door in the wall in the room, not the two adjacent doors with the inner and outer doors from the corridor. This could give some people concerns about the noise travel issue

2. The Sky Bar is small now so much has been taken out for the Reflection suites so reduced bar space there, but there is a new bar outside where the nightclub used to be

3. There is no glass on the cupboard doors in the bathroom. Tap is smaller too

Another surprise?

It's hard to believe.

It is a terrible shame that the front of the ship will now feature full height glass.

This means no photos.

Whoever designed this is absolutely clueless.

:mad:

I just returned from a road trip to Banff, Lake Louise, etc. My traveling companion shot all kinds of photos through the windshield of the car while we were traveling at 60 mph. I was very skeptical about this approach, but they all turned out great. So I wouldn't lose any sleep over full height glass unless they never clean it.

I just returned from a road trip to Banff, Lake Louise, etc. My traveling companion shot all kinds of photos through the windshield of the car while we were traveling at 60 mph. I was very skeptical about this approach, but they all turned out great. So I wouldn't lose any sleep over full height glass unless they never clean it.

With all due respects Happy Cruiser, taking photos is one of my jobs. An extra lens with sea salt plastered all over it, at an obtuse angle, more than millimetres away from my lens, will most certainly affect the quality of my photographs.

The rest of the ship looks stunning, but I am one of the few that make it up for sunrise most days, which for me is the most amazing experience cruising can offer, especially when entering a port, and to not be able to take photos head on, is a really really bad thing.

Whatever the good points and bad points, this design feature is a truly awful retrograde step.

Hi Everyone, I'm confident Reflection will be another S-Class winner. I'm not at all concerned with the exterior changes. IMO, the inside of the ship should matter the most, and I'm certain Celebrity will deliver. With all due respect to the OP, until Guests have actually been on the ship, it's far too soon to draw any such conclusions.

I am with Host Andy and others in urging against a "Rush to Judgement". Let's hear from people who have been on the ship, seen the changes, rated them "up close and personal".

And the "poll" gives just two choice. My guess is that lots of people would say "BOTH" if that option had been offered!! There are difference in the two ships, but my guess is that 95% of these ship is pretty much the same as with the earlier Solstice-class ships.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,592 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Can't agree more!

But why do they make these awful retrograde steps on the Reflection?

Things can always change, but at this time the poll seems to be showing that your view is in the minority. I still need to wait an judge for myself after I've experienced the ship.

Can't agree more!

But why do they make these awful retrograde steps on the Reflection?

But why do you care? Just don't cruise on her and these horrific changes won't be forced on you. :rolleyes:

I'll be on her in ten days and I am really looking forward to this beautiful, well thought out, and full of variety ship. I am looking forward to it with an open mind.

Things can always change, but at this time the poll seems to be showing that your view is in the minority. I still need to wait an judge for myself after I've experienced the ship.

Why change things for the worse?

Why not for the better?

Who knows, may be I am from the "majority".

May be I too believe the this is the best way to enjoy scenic views:

2aagc4z.jpg

and it's a good improvement to add some 250 loungers here:

2mzff39.jpg

...or here?

352i6vk.jpg

With all due respects Happy Cruiser, taking photos is one of my jobs. An extra lens with sea salt plastered all over it, at an obtuse angle, more than millimetres away from my lens, will most certainly affect the quality of my photographs.

The rest of the ship looks stunning, but I am one of the few that make it up for sunrise most days, which for me is the most amazing experience cruising can offer, especially when entering a port, and to not be able to take photos head on, is a really really bad thing.

Whatever the good points and bad points, this design feature is a truly awful retrograde step.

I totally agree with you on this point. We took our first cruise aboard an S-class ship in April, the Eclipse, and one of the most wonderful surprises for me, as a cruiser and an amateur photographer, was to have NO glass wall in the bow. Yes, like Happy Cruiser's companion, I have taken decent shots out a car window, but it is not the same as not having glass between you and the subject. It is just totally different.

Plus, I just love being able to see the open ocean, and, yes, even feel the wind, without a glass wall in place. One of the reasons I love to cruise is to experience the water, and the more that cruise lines limit the openness of that experience (whether it is with glass walls in the bow, cabanas on the lawn, or claustrophobic "promenade" decks), I think it diminishes the cruising experience, for me at least.

I agree that it's hard to comment on the Reflection without sailing on her, but I've been on enough ships to know that I would prefer not to have a glass wall in the bow, and I *totally* loved that the Eclipse did not have one.

Why change things for the worse?

Why not for the better?

Who knows, may be I am from the "majority".

May be I too believe the this is the best way to enjoy scenic views:

2aagc4z.jpg

and it's a good improvement to add some 250 loungers here:

2mzff39.jpg

...or here?

352i6vk.jpg

You're right! Since some of the "problems" are structural let's just scrap the whole thing and start again. It will give us another new build to follow and look forward to. We could even add a deck of self laundry facilities to satisfy those moaners as well.

Just curious: Have you booked an future cruises on Reflection? If not: Do you plan to?

For the record, I have 4 cruises for a total of 41 days book on Reflection. Of course that will change if wescrap the ship.

Archived