Celebrity Reflection Design: "Improvements" to Break the Camel's Back?

cruisetrail

Celebrity Eclipse or Celebrity Reflection?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Celebrity Eclipse or Celebrity Reflection?

• I prefer Celebrity Eclipse design
    • I prefer Celebrity Reflection design

You're right! Since some of the "problems" are structural let's just scrap the whole thing and start again. It will give us another new build to follow and look forward to. We could even add a deck of self laundry facilities to satisfy those moaners as well.

Just curious: Have you booked an future cruises on Reflection? If not: Do you plan to?

For the record, I have 4 cruises for a total of 41 days booked on Reflection. Of course that will change if we scrap the ship.

You're right! Since some of the "problems" are structural let's just scrap the whole thing and start again. It will give us another new build to follow and look forward to. We could even add a deck of self laundry facilities to satisfy those moaners as well.

Just curious: Have you booked an future cruises on Reflection? If not: Do you plan to?

For the record, I have 4 cruises for a total of 41 days booked on Reflection. Of course that will change if we scrap the ship.

No need for a new build! Larry's already done the work for us. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1635758&highlight=andreas+depping

I just read through six pages and, the last two entries notwithstanding, am absolutely amazed. Talk about picking nits?

I've been on a few cruises and yes, sometimes the views aren't perfect, sometimes the food isn't perfect, sometimes the drinks aren't perfect, sometimes there's a little bit of rust on the railing, sometimes the ships move too much, sometimes it's too windy or cold, sometimes there aren't any self-service laundry facilities, sometimes luggage isn't delivered timely and sometimes my tuxedo arrives a little late.

But for crying out loud, YOU'RE ON A CRUISE.

There are literally millions of people who've never been on a cruise and they would be absolutely astounded at some of the threads on Cruise Critic.

In my opinion, life doesn't get any better than when I’m on a cruise ship with my wife going from one place in the world to another. I can put up with a great deal of minor annoyances in exchange for that opportunity.

I just read through six pages and, the last two entries notwithstanding, am absolutely amazed. Talk about picking nits?

I've been on a few cruises and yes, sometimes the views aren't perfect, sometimes the food isn't perfect, sometimes the drinks aren't perfect, sometimes there's a little bit of rust on the railing, sometimes the ships move too much, sometimes it's too windy or cold, sometimes there aren't any self-service laundry facilities, sometimes luggage isn't delivered timely and sometimes my tuxedo arrives a little late.

There are literally millions of people who've never been on a cruise and they would be absolutely astounded at some of the threads on Cruise Critic.

In my opinion, life doesn't get any better than when I’m on a cruise ship with my wife going from one place in the world to another. I can put up with a great deal of minor annoyances in exchange for that opportunity.

Some people like us enjoy cruising, some people like the op enjoy complaining. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which group has the most fun in life. :D

To the op - in case you can't figure out the answer: IT ISN'T YOURS. :rolleyes:

Well said Mark i couldnt agree with you more. I feel so blessed to be able to have the means and health that allows me to go to places so many people just dream about. And i have never been on a bad cruise no matter what. Larry

Interesting two active "polls" we have going on. The laundromat poll was setup with obviously skewed questions, and this poll is asking us to vote on something few if any know anything about, and starts the "poll" off with the OP'S opinion on how 'bad' one selection is.

I suggest at least two posters, if not all of us, take a look at polls setup by posters such as Ma Bell to see how the basics are done.

I won't vote in either of these because not only are they not polls, but of no use providing any info except in a very secondary manner.

Suggestion - go on a ship or take an itinerary before you voice an opinion. Always helps to know a bit about what you are opining on.

And no, a photo doesn't count. Kind of like me taking a photo of the exterior of my house and then insisting you buy it based solely on that.

Den

Yes, it would take two questions.

Would you like to have a self service laundromat on board?

Are you satisfied with the way things are?

See....what she says. And I assume you have no wording for a poll comparing an experience none have tried yet.

Den

I will judge for myself in January 26, February 2, April 20 and May 6. That should give me a pretty good idea if I like the ship.

Look forward to your reports and hopefully some pictures. Just saw some of the visuals posted for the luxury suites on the Reflection. Very unique and impressive. The pictures were getting lots of "WOWS!!".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,666 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I just now realized why I consume a little extra alcohol while cruising. I'll never see this "mistakes", "omissions", "blunders", "bone headed designs", "awful retrogrades" and "reduced public spaces".

Good reason why not to write a trip report.

2MC (sailed on 3 "S" classes so far)

mackclap.gif

Glass fence obstructs views.

No one wants "see through" fence for scenic views.

Open unobstructed views - this is what observation area is all about.

2s9dicl.jpg

Not to worry, there are openings between the panels.

It's not the same. I've shot thru those sorts of openings. You can't necessarily get the angle you want on your subject, and you are often fighting for those rare openings with a zillion other pax. And if you are using a DSLR with a zoom lens, you may not even be able to get your lens thru the opening if you are fortunate to get to one.

Look, I get that some folks for whatever reason will brook no criticism of their favorite cruise line, but if you are a photographer (or even if you are just a cruiser who wants minimal barriers between you and the water wherever possible), glass panels on the forward decks are simply less desirable than having none.

Just saw pictures of Reflection on another thread... All I can saw is WOW! Can't wait for our TA on Reflection in April! :D I don't understand the purpose of this poll. How can someone criticize a ship when they have no real experience or first hand knowledge of it? Boggles the mind ... :rolleyes:

I don't have the technical expertise to insert the GREAT video like pmk515, but more of the OUTSTANDING responses you guys gave here, are DESPERATELY needed on quite a few other threads here on CC. Thanks for a dose of reality!

It's not the same. I've shot thru those sorts of openings. You can't necessarily get the angle you want on your subject, and you are often fighting for those rare openings with a zillion other pax. And if you are using a DSLR with a zoom lens, you may not even be able to get your lens thru the opening if you are fortunate to get to one.

Look, I get that some folks for whatever reason will brook no criticism of their favorite cruise line, but if you are a photographer (or even if you are just a cruiser who wants minimal barriers between you and the water wherever possible), glass panels on the forward decks are simply less desirable than having none.

No, they are less desirable for photographers, but maybe not less desirable for people who would like to be able to stand or sit on the front of the ship when it's going full speed without getting blown away. As usual, it just depends on your priority. There are openings that are sufficient for most cameras to take a good photo. Most people just enjoy being there and in the moment seeing things with their own eyes rather than always through the lens of a camera.

No, they are less desirable for photographers, but maybe not less desirable for people who would like to be able to stand or sit on the front of the ship when it's going full speed without getting blown away. As usual, it just depends on your priority. There are openings that are sufficient for most cameras to take a good photo. Most people just enjoy being there and in the moment seeing things with their own eyes rather than always through the lens of a camera.

Exactly! I prefer to enjoy life through my eyes, not through my camera, so this is indeed a positive improvement. I well remember another cruise line, another ship, where we could not stand on the upper deck because of the wind blast, not only making it difficult to stand, but also to even open our eyes without tearing. The new shields will allow us to enjoy the view without discomfort, much like on the M-class ships, which to my knowledge no one has complained about before.

Constellation%20wind%20shield.jpg

How can someone criticize a ship when they have no real experience or first hand knowledge of it? Boggles the mind ... :rolleyes:

More passengers in a smaller public space.

250 more loungers in the same deck space already packed with them.

For-fee cabanas instead of free open grass lawn.

More lifeboats are placed in front of the balconies.

Heavy framed fence to obstruct views from observation deck.

What kind of experience is needed to say if these changes are good or bad?

It's "larger" on paper due to added cabins.

The public space is not larger.

I fact it is smaller - a part of Sky Lounge has been taken by additional suites.

Possibly some readers do not realize that not only those suites are added.

A huge block of cabins has been added right below the pool deck.

Archived