Do you think American will be back to their "normal" self by xmas?

CtheW0rld

Looking at flights home for the xmas holiday. Is it worth risking booking a ticket on American? Their prices are subtancially cheaper (by about 60%) than the competitors.

I've been following the current threads and dramas. I wouldn't risk them for a cruise right now.

I am hoping the worst is over, as an AA frequent flier, but I cannot be sure. I currently don't have any ticketed itineraries on AA until February (which is very, very rare for me), but I can say that for my trip next week, I did switch from AA to Frontier after getting impacted by the AA "issues" two weekends in a row.

However, I did not hesitate to book an AA ticket for early February, assuming it will be a much more stable situation by that time.

For Christmas, I probably would be comfortable booking with them. Just keep in mind that, should any group decide to go down the patch of action again, a holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas is a perfect time to do it. But that could be the cause with United, US Airways, Delta, etc. etc. etc.

Just keep in mind that, should any group decide to go down the patch of action again, a holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas is a perfect time to do it. But that could be the cause with United, US Airways, Delta, etc. etc. etc.

First of all, I don't think UA/US/DL would have the same chances of such events happening as with AA. There are issues with AA that are not currently present with the other airlines.

Also, if AA employees do decide on some sort of "action" around the holidays, it could be at least as bad if not much worse than in the recent past. Flights are generally very full around the holidays, so reaccommodating passengers could be more of a challenge.

Looking at flights home for the xmas holiday. Is it worth risking booking a ticket on American? Their prices are subtancially cheaper (by about 60%) than the competitors.

I've been following the current threads and dramas. I wouldn't risk them for a cruise right now.

If you're following current trends and dramas, then you know that AA's cancellation rates and on-time performance have been normal or close to it for about a week now, and better than Delta's on several recent days. There have been glitches due to bad weather at ORD and fog at DFW, which affects both the cancellation and on-time rates, but these are hardly related to pilot slow-downs.

Christmas is a busy time and of course things could worsen; however it's also a time when weather can be a big issue, especially if you transit northern or eastern hubs. But I wouldn't hesitate buying AA if the price differential is that great.

We're still flying AA and have personally not had any negative experiences that many have reported of late.

That said we don't not book close connections, the last flights of the day to our destinations or flights where I have massive and long walks/runs to make flights.

But then again, this is how we've traveled for years. Mostly to reduce stress.

2 flights on AA today. One left early and arrived ahead of schedule. One left late due to the previous flight arriving late but the pilot did his best to make up the time so only arrived 10 minutes late. Was kept informed the entire time, had friendly helpful service from everyone at AA today.

2 flights on AA today. One left early and arrived ahead of schedule. One left late due to the previous flight arriving late but the pilot did his best to make up the time so only arrived 10 minutes late. Was kept informed the entire time, had friendly helpful service from everyone at AA today.

Good news! Thanks for taking the time to update us Wrona :D

###

After seeing an article on CNN saying AA was cancelling more flights into November, checked and sure enough, they have changed my outbound flights for the second time since bookiing.

Have really no choice but to go with what they have put me on. Didn't want to leave the house at dark early but now I am. Wanted a longer connection time in DFW now that's down to one hour flat. Only way I could avoid both issues would be to change from two flights to three, fly around the country all day and not get into FLL till after 7:30pm or 8pm.

Everybody, check your November flights again.

Just flew from Tucson to Dallas on Saturday and back on Sunday. Both flights were full, and they were offering $500 for five people to give up a seat on the return flight. Both flights left about 10 minutes late, and the flight to Dallas actually got in about 20 minutes early. Had to practically chug my second gin and tonic! LOL

The crew was nice--especially on the way back. That had to be the nicest flight I've taken in a long time. The food was outstanding and so was the service!

You're showing your age, LOL. "Flight attendant" has been the preferred job title for the last couple of decades, particularly by the male FA's. :)
And using "stewardess" onboard puts you near the top of the "don't get a refill of your coffee, except into your lap" list.

Oh you are so funny. You must be the same age is me "ancient" lol....

I'm 46. When I was a little girl in the early '70's I took my first plane flight (well, the first one I have a memory of) and afterward decided I wanted to be a "stewardess" when I grew up. I didn't become one, but that's why I remember that term from my very early years. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've booked AA for a trip to BCN August 2013. I am truly an optimist...wish me luck. BTW, I also purchased insurance to cover the airfare in case of financial default of AA.

I've booked AA for a trip to BCN August 2013. I am truly an optimist...wish me luck. BTW, I also purchased insurance to cover the airfare in case of financial default of AA.

It's extremely unlikely that AA will go completely defunct. Another airline would buy them at cents on the dollar rather than AA going into liquidation. Like it or not, the government would probably intervene if things came to that (remember "too big to fail"?)

Have you read the fine print of your TI policy? Most have a long list of specific providers where there is no coverage in case of default. It's a fair bet that AA is on the list.

If this helps your confidence I'm flying AA next week, the week after, and again in December. I have TI for the first trip and AA is on the exclusion list. I'm not worried a bit.

Archived