Snorkel n mustache

Jiffymom

My husband uses vaseline and it works great for him.

It has been long enough since I have been diving that I cannot remember if I had a mustache at the time or not. I know there were times in those days that I did. I also know that my diving instructors would have had a cow about getting vaseline or any other petroleum products anywhere near the rubber or vinyl parts of dive gear. I know I have always heard that rubber and vaseline are a bad combination.

Below is a dive forum where they discuss this issue. Many suggest using silicone grease instead. I offer it only as a source of information -- my experience is way too old to be of much value:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-65897.html

Been snorkling with my 'stache for more than 20 years - you just have to get the right type of mask. Besides, there's no way I would ever shave it off again. DW says kissing me without my stache is like eating an egg without salt:D

Shave it off.

The mustache and/or goatee is a bad look on 90% of men anyway..

Finally a post from this dude I agree with. 90% of the time they are trying to cover up something and it just makes it look worse. Nothing wrong with a full face but facial hair does not make it less full.

Mine tried to use vaseline but it didn't work well for him. I think if he had trimmed his mustache before snorkeling, it would have helped.

Trimming it can be bad. Long hairs can lay flat and seal with the help of Vaseline. Short hairs are stiff and won't lay flat. I'm speaking from experience, I'm a SCUBA diver. I use vaseline, it works great.

Trimming it can be bad. Long hairs can lay flat and seal with the help of Vaseline. Short hairs are stiff and won't lay flat. I'm speaking from experience, I'm a SCUBA diver. I use vaseline, it works great.

I will pass on the info but I don't know if I will ever get him to snorkel again. He swims but didn't like it if there were any swells at all though my son loved it. Going to have my son take over convincing his Dad and I will just see what happens. Next time we are going to book a private excursion on a small boat and hopefully that will make a difference.

Shave it off.

The mustache and/or goatee is a bad look on 90% of men anyway..

WOW! I learned two great things today:

1) Use Vaseline with my mask to prevent leaks, :)and

2) 90% chance that Matj2000 doesn't like my goatee.:eek:

I guess he won't like my hairy chest either.:o

Archived