Is a balcony worth the money?

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

We have cruised several times on Princess, but always in an inside cabin. We are considering splurging on our next cruise and getting a balcony cabin. Generally speaking, the balcony cabins are $200-500/per person higher for a 7 night Caribbean cruise.

I guess my question is, is it really worth the extra money? We usually get inside cabins because we are rarely in the cabin except to shower/sleep/change clothes. During the day we hang out by the pools if the weather is good.

I guess I'm looking for advice from those who have done both, pros and cons. We want to try it, but just aren't sure it's worth it cost wise.

Any advice/experiences would be nice. With the smoking policy, I don't think I have to fear being down wind from a smoker, so I'm more open to the idea.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm sure you're going to get a bunch of replies on this question, but for us, we simply won't cruise without a balcony. We love eating out there, getting up in the morning and watching as we pull into port, having drinks as we sail away in the evening, and sometimes sitting out there late at night in our 'jammies' just star gazing and listening to the wake. We enjoy the public spaces on the ship, but it's just a treat to have your own private area to relax and enjoy the view and sea air.

I suppose your cruise 'style' greatly impacts how one uses or enjoys a balcony. If you're a person who wants to be on the open decks with a crowd all the time, or around the pools, then maybe a balcony isn't a 'must have' for you. But we cruise to relax, unwind, and enjoy each other's company, so a balcony is a big part of the experience.

Our first cruise we booked an inside, based on it was money saving and 'you're never in your room'. We also had no idea what it was like outside unless we went up and out deck - webcams weren't installed then.

Our second cruise we splurged on an OV, still at a great price. We knew we would never be without a view again.

The last two cruises have been with balcony cabins, and we have booked a balcony GTY for the upcoming one as well. It's great to be able to step outside at any time of the day, even if you are in your bathrobe. Arriving and departing from ports is wonderful as observed from your balcony. There is privacy and the dress code is relaxed.

The only time I would consider getting an OV instead of a balcony now would be on a port intensive European cruise.

Let me take the contrary view. On our first cruise we had an inside. My mother, who joined us originally booked an inside but was upgraded to a full balcony!

We spent some time on the balcony but, while it was nice, we did not spend as much time as I would have thought. It was often very hot on the balcony and in the sun, it was like sitting in an oven.

At night, the temp was pleasant, but there was no view-just blackness.

I would estimate that over the course of a 2 week cruise through the Panama Canal, we spent maybe 10% of the time on the balcony.

While there are many who will tell you a balcony is essential, I don't see that it is worth the money. Now, that said, if we were lucky enough to upgraded to one-We wouldn't turn it down ;)

Hi folks,

We have cruised several times on Princess, but always in an inside cabin. We are considering splurging on our next cruise and getting a balcony cabin. Generally speaking, the balcony cabins are $200-500/per person higher for a 7 night Caribbean cruise.

I guess my question is, is it really worth the extra money? We usually get inside cabins because we are rarely in the cabin except to shower/sleep/change clothes. During the day we hang out by the pools if the weather is good.

I guess I'm looking for advice from those who have done both, pros and cons. We want to try it, but just aren't sure it's worth it cost wise.

Any advice/experiences would be nice. With the smoking policy, I don't think I have to fear being down wind from a smoker, so I'm more open to the idea.

Thanks,

Mike

I am normally a solo cruiser. I booked my first balcony last November (2011) on the Carnival Valor. My experience was the following: It was nice to get up in the morning and while still in my robe (furnished by Carnival) go out and sit on the balcony and greet the morning. I am someone who loves sitting on the deck and watching the ocean but I avoid the sun. It was a great experience sitting on the balcony when I wanted but I spent a good portion of my day (avoiding the sun) on the deck in the public areas. If I were cruising with a sweetheart, the balcony would be great but for me as a solo cruiser, unless I was given a hack of a deal, I will be in insides. I recommend that you try it at least once. Good luck.

To me no matter where you are cruising then a balcony is a must. There are a variety of prices that will get you a balcony so while it will be more expensive than an inside it doesn't have to be a whole lot more.

Benefits

- you can see what the weather is doing at any time (includes deciding how hot it is and not just is it fine)

- you can watch coming into and leaving ports (to me that is one of the best parts to see how it all happens)

- you can sit there and watch the world go by

-depending on the balcony you can get a tan without having to fight for a lounger

Cons

- gone now that people can't smoke

If you get one you won't regret it

Whether I cruise solo or with a friend, I love my balcony. Especially when I cruise solo it's so nice to have that great private space. It comes down to money. If I can afford it I always take a balcony. There are some longer and more expensive cruises that I've been shopping where I may go back to doing an inside for financial reasons. I'd rather do that more expensive cruise in an inside than not do it at all. Also, if I did a cold weather cruise, I might skip a balcony and save the money. I don't mind an inside, but I LOVE my balcony. I spend a lot of time there. If you think you'll spend all day at the pool and in the public areas you may not need a balcony. I love the quiet of sitting on my balcony and watching the ocean, reading, etc. I go out early in the morning, late at night, and during the day. I eat my breakfast there. As far as hot and sunny....I always choose a fully covered balcony. Yes, it will be sunny for some parts of the day, but usually you'll have good periods of shade. Be aware, though, once you do a balcony you may not want to go back.

I'm sure you're going to get a bunch of replies on this question, but for us, we simply won't cruise without a balcony. We love eating out there, getting up in the morning and watching as we pull into port, having drinks as we sail away in the evening, and sometimes sitting out there late at night in our 'jammies' just star gazing and listening to the wake. We enjoy the public spaces on the ship, but it's just a treat to have your own private area to relax and enjoy the view and sea air.

I suppose your cruise 'style' greatly impacts how one uses or enjoys a balcony. If you're a person who wants to be on the open decks with a crowd all the time, or around the pools, then maybe a balcony isn't a 'must have' for you. But we cruise to relax, unwind, and enjoy each other's company, so a balcony is a big part of the experience.

Exactly how we feel!:)

I think it all comes down to cruise style and personal preference. I've had inside, outside and balcony cabins. For me unless the balcony is at a huge discount it's not worth it but I like to be out and about and would rather spend the money on excursions. I do like having natural sunlight tho.

Let me take the contrary view. On our first cruise we had an inside. My mother, who joined us originally booked an inside but was upgraded to a full balcony!

We spent some time on the balcony but, while it was nice, we did not spend as much time as I would have thought. It was often very hot on the balcony and in the sun, it was like sitting in an oven.

At night, the temp was pleasant, but there was no view-just blackness.

I would estimate that over the course of a 2 week cruise through the Panama Canal, we spent maybe 10% of the time on the balcony.

While there are many who will tell you a balcony is essential, I don't see that it is worth the money. Now, that said, if we were lucky enough to upgraded to one-We wouldn't turn it down ;)

Just so I'm understanding your post correctly -- YOU didn't actually have a balcony, but your mother got HER room upgraded to a balcony, which you then used? I would respectfully suggest that visiting someone else's balcony is different than experiencing your own. If I had to get dressed and go use someone else's balcony, I wouldn't use it much either! The appeal of your own balcony is, as someone else so eloquently stated, 'casual dress' any time day or night.

If I misunderstood your post, I apologize.

On Princess we always try to book the larger Caribe balconies. I enjoy going out on the balcony late at night with a star chart and binoculars. On a clear night there are so many constellations visible, as well as other ship traffic. Mike in CT

Same here -- we are big fans of Caribe balconies! We have an aft booked for our upcoming cruise, but you can't beat those large Caribe balconies for sun AND privacy.

If you a people person, who enjoys 24-7 at the pool, lounges, and clubs, then an inside cabin or am ocean view might be for you. I enjoy quiet time away from the crowds, so I book balcony cabins. I really don't spend a lot of time on the balcony, but I enjoy a glass of bubbly and the moon and the stars. Life is so hectic that I seldom spend time looking at the simple things in life....the heavens and ocean.

As long as we can get a balcony at a reasonable price then we book one. We previously booked a specific balcony cabin but now we book the lowest balcony guarantee or a higher obstructed oceanview and hope for a nice balcony.

How much I'll pay for a balcony depends upon the itinerary. In the Caribbean we don't spend much on tours & more time on the balcony or at a beach. For destinations that are port intensive with many things we want to experience in port we'll spend less on our cabin to have more to spend in port.

As long as we can get a balcony at a reasonable price then we book one. We previously booked a specific balcony cabin but now we book the lowest balcony guarantee or a higher obstructed oceanview and hope for a nice balcony.

How much I'll pay for a balcony depends upon the itinerary. In the Caribbean we don't spend much on tours & more time on the balcony or at a beach. For destinations that are port intensive with many things we want to experience in port we'll spend less on our cabin to have more to spend in port.

I agree completely. The only type of cabin I won't book now is an inside. I've done it and didn't like it. I've done balconies, mini-suites, oceanviews, etc. as a single. Which type of cabin depends on the itinerary, pricing and availability. On my Star cruise last March, I had a balcony, on my Island cruise last month, I had an oceanview, on my next two cruises, I have balconies. Since I had an oceanview cabin last month, I booked the Sanctuary instead and it was soooooo worth it. I loved it! And, it was a heck of a lot less than booking a balcony. FYI, at least one couple booked and had the "Ultimate Balcony Breakfast" delivered to the Sanctuary so if you book an oceanview and want to get the UBB, book the Sanctuary and have it there!

It really depends on what you like to do on the ship and what's important to you. We're all different.

I book what I can afford. Most of the time, if I am going solo, it is an inside. If I get a good deal, it will be a balcony. On the four cruises booked in my signature, the Panama Canal (#1) is an inside; #2, a TA on the same ship, is a Concierge Class balcony ; On Queen Elizabeth, another inside; On Silhouette, we have a gty balcony. I had originally booked a partially obstructed balcony, but a price drop special made me drop to a gty for a savings of $1200. But we will probably use that last balcony the least, because it is a Med cruise with only one sea day. Our last cruise was a 24 day Med cruise with only two sea days. I did a large inside, because I wanted the space. The inside gave us more space than any class up to suite. I even made it no upgrade unless to a suite. EM

I agree completely. The only type of cabin I won't book now is an inside. I've done it and didn't like it. I've done balconies, mini-suites, oceanviews, etc. as a single. Which type of cabin depends on the itinerary, pricing and availability. On my Star cruise last March, I had a balcony, on my Island cruise last month, I had an oceanview, on my next two cruises, I have balconies. Since I had an oceanview cabin last month, I booked the Sanctuary instead and it was soooooo worth it. I loved it! And, it was a heck of a lot less than booking a balcony. FYI, at least one couple booked and had the "Ultimate Balcony Breakfast" delivered to the Sanctuary so if you book an oceanview and want to get the UBB, book the Sanctuary and have it there!

It really depends on what you like to do on the ship and what's important to you. We're all different.

I'm with Pam. I just can't do an inside. Too confined for me. Otherwise, I have booked a guarantee (which I will only do for spur of the moment at a great price). I either will do an obstructed oceanview if I'm traveling to Mexico as I've done that itinerary so many times or a balcony or minisuite when traveling to the Caribbean or somewhere that I have not been before.

For us a balcony is certainly not a must, OV works fine. When we have had a balcony we did not spend much time there. The exception would be the Alaska itinerary, with so much "scenic cruising" a balcony is the way to go there.

Archived