Need fast help with carry on make up

smoothdancer

I am going on a trip, dance comp where I want to carry on make up.

I have never done this before and I am confused...

I says 3 oz containers only.

Can someone tell me if any of this is allowed:

mascara

liquiid eyeliner in a tube

lipstick in a tube?

Hairspray, no right?

How about powder make up?

A lot of this stuff is costume make up and very expensive. I cant afford to throw it out at the airport... I am trying to do this because my flight arrival is very close to when I have to dance and trying to avoid checking a bag....

My research is not proving to be very helpful

Hi, it's liquids and gels that are subject to the 3 oz rule and that you are supposed to put in the quart-size bag to show the TSA at the security screening.

Just make sure that any liquids you are carrying are in the 3 oz. size, such as liquid foundation and hairspray (buy the travel size). This does not apply to any powder, dry makeup, or solid lipstick in a tube.

I have never put mascara in the baggie or had it taken away, but I suppose some might argue that it is a liquid. Nevertheless, mine is always less than 3 oz and wouldn't be prohibited. Eyeliner, I doubt would be a problem either, but just check the size and put it in the baggie if you are concerned. A lot of makeup is packaged in containers that are less than 3 oz. anyway.

For example, this is the carry-on makeup stuff I put in my baggie to show the TSA: moisturizer, sunscreen, foundation, liquid lipgloss, eye cream, hand cream.

Powder make-up is ok. For the liquids, everything on your list has to be in 3 oz containers and in your 1 quart zip-lock bag. I think that most mascara is already in a small enough container. If your liquid makeup is in larger containers you can get travel containers and transfer your makeup to those. I use nonaresol hairspray and have a 3 oz. pump bottle for it. You can get several 3 oz. containers in a zip lock bag and if your husband is going too, he can have a zip lock bag with some of your things, unless he needs the whole thing for his stuff.

Just put all of your liquid makeup in a quart-size clear plastic bag. For hairspray, as PP mentioned, you can buy a travel size.

Loose or pressed powder and lipstick will definitely not count as liquid. I also seriously doubt the TSA guy is going to notice that your eyeliner and mascara are liquid. I have accidentally gone through security with mascara and lipgloss not in a clear plastic bag, and nothing was said to me. If you want to be extremely cautious, put both in the bag, but otherwise, you should be fine.

Also, know that you can stuff the bag to its absolute limits... as long as it closes, you're good.

OMG, thank you all for the quick responses...

Husband is not coming on this trip so the quart bag is all mine!!

But yup will be weeding out everything but what I absolutely need.

I think I can fit everything in a quart bag.

Sorry to be so dense, but I can use any quart bag I can buy at any store, right?

Like a zip lock I use at home... This is not a special bag, right??

These 3 oz containers, can I buy them at a drug store?

I usually pack my make up bag in checked luggage so sorry for the stupid questions!!

Just put all of your liquid makeup in a quart-size clear plastic bag. For hairspray, as PP mentioned, you can buy a travel size.

Loose or pressed powder and lipstick will definitely not count as liquid. I also seriously doubt the TSA guy is going to notice that your eyeliner and mascara are liquid. I have accidentally gone through security with mascara and lipgloss not in a clear plastic bag, and nothing was said to me. If you want to be extremely cautious, put both in the bag, but otherwise, you should be fine.

Also, know that you can stuff the bag to its absolute limits... as long as it closes, you're good.

I did have a TSA agent specifically ask me about mascara. He wanted to know if I had any loose in my purse and said it would need to be in my ziplock bag if I did. On our last flight a few weeks ago I had a container of hair spray that I had forgotten about get through security.

Sherri:)

I did have a TSA agent specifically ask me about mascara. He wanted to know if I had any loose in my purse and said it would need to be in my ziplock bag if I did. On our last flight a few weeks ago I had a container of hair spray that I had forgotten about get through security.

Sherri:)

Just goes to show it's different everytime!

Just goes to show it's different everytime!

I've been told it depends on the screener so always put the mascara in the quart bag. Ditto toothpaste, eyedrops, etc........anything they could even want to bother with. Also I now either put deodorant in the bag or in checked luggage since a friend had her stick (not roll-on) one confiscated.

These 3 oz containers, can I buy them at a drug store?

You do not have to put things into 3 oz containers. You just have to make sure that all of your liquids/gels are in containers that are 3 oz or less. So if you absolutely need a certain conditioner that you cannot find in a 0-3 oz. size, then pour it into a 3 oz container.

One of the most questionable items seems to be solid deodorant...some people have had it confiscated because it was too big or didn't fit into the quart bag, even though it is solid...so some items seem to come down to whatever the agent thinks.

If you have any prescription liquids or ointments or cremes, they do not have to be in the ziploc bag but I think you are supposed to show them and you should have them in the boxes with the Rx labels.

I never flew under the new regulations until 2010. I was so paranoid, and then my friend said, just put the stuff in your regular luggage! And that I did. I just avoid all the confusion by putting everything in the checked in bag. However, we have discussed a few times shorter trips where we might just take a carry on each. When and if we do that, this information is very helpful!

Check the dimensions of the qt. zip-loc bag....some are actually a tad larger than other brands....get the largest! I've noticed about a 1/2 in. difference in the overall dimensions!

Very few make-up items are larger than 3 oz.. If something is in a larger bottle, even if it's only 1/2 full, you cannot bring it in your carry-on!

It is actually not 3 oz, but 3.4 oz or 100ml. From the TSA website:

"3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume); 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure." The reason everyone says "3 oz" is because it is an easier tag line to try to teach the clerks and easier for the average American to remember.

As for the zip-top bag: Some clerks are bothered if you use something other than the standard "buy in bulk in the GladBag/Zip-Lock/etc aisle" bag. Some clerks will balk at a bottle that, by there own agency's rules is OK (the 100ml vs 3 oz). Some clerks will declare that a cupcake with a lot of icing/filling is not OK because it is a "liquid/gel" (not making that up!!!).

Take as little as possible quantity of what you absolutely need to take as many products as you need. If you can find even smaller than 3.4 oz/100 ml bottles to put things in, do it. If some of your products come in sample sizes, see if you can get some of those rather than moving to other bottles first.

If you are a contact lens wearer, do NOT try to take Clear Care through. Even though the TSA's own site say that contact lens solution is OK in any size, they quietly say that Clear Care has enough hydrogen peroxide to make it a terrorist tool. It will be confiscated (or in TSA's words, "voluntarily surrendered"). Use something else for the trip and pick up Clear Care when you arrive...

If you are a contact lens wearer, do NOT try to take Clear Care through. .

My husband learned that the hard way, traveling about 3 weeks after they made that "clarification" and his regular size bottle of Clear Care was thrown away. You can carry Clear Care IF it's 100ml or less (their travel size). Thank goodness, as it's the only brand my husband uses and sometimes we travel overseas carry-on only - would be a PITA if we had to check a bag JUST for his contact lens solution.....

My husband learned that the hard way, traveling about 3 weeks after they made that "clarification" and his regular size bottle of Clear Care was thrown away. You can carry Clear Care IF it's 100ml or less (their travel size). Thank goodness, as it's the only brand my husband uses and sometimes we travel overseas carry-on only - would be a PITA if we had to check a bag JUST for his contact lens solution.....

Lucky him. I had my travel size of CC seized (oops, voluntarily surrendered :rolleyes:) last summer. I was told that CC was not allowed in any size. PITA TSA clerks. I didn't want to have some person hired off of a pizza box go off on a power trip and do the "Do you want to fly today" thing. Even though I carry a printout of the TSA declaration for CC, I was told the policy was changed again and CC was banned because it had too much hydrogen peroxide in it and could be used to make a bomb on board. Fortunately, I always carry a little lens case with some saline already in it when I travel to be able to take my lens out on the plane. But, no CC was to be had in the country I traveled to. I had to make due with OptiFree Express for the trip :(

You do not have to put things into 3 oz containers. You just have to make sure that all of your liquids/gels are in containers that are 3 oz or less. So if you absolutely need a certain conditioner that you cannot find in a 0-3 oz. size, then pour it into a 3 oz container.

One of the most questionable items seems to be solid deodorant...some people have had it confiscated because it was too big or didn't fit into the quart bag, even though it is solid...so some items seem to come down to whatever the agent thinks.

If you have any prescription liquids or ointments or cremes, they do not have to be in the ziploc bag but I think you are supposed to show them and you should have them in the boxes with the Rx labels.

I believe that any medication is exempt from the 3-1-1 requirement, even non-prescription items like antibacterial ointment or cortisone cream. I put them in a separate clear bag and declare them, although I've only done that once.

OP, you can't really fit that many 100ml bottles into a quart bag. So I highly recommend even smaller sizes of everything - I find that 1.5 oz of my moisturizer lasts me almost 3 weeks, for example, so no need to put in a full 100ml. You can find those tiny containers at a beauty supply store, too. What I do is save the small Clinique jars of samples and eye cream and put a small amount in them. Then I can toss them if I've used up everything. If not, they come home and I use them until they're empty, then refill for the next trip.:D

Thanks for all the help ladies...

I completed my trip with my carry on and make up just fine.

Now I know that one can carry all make up in a little baggy!... And all that stuff I have carried along in my checked baggage in fact is not necessary...

I did what others suggested. On the way home I discarded inexpensive things I did not need, like the little bottle of hair gel, hair spray ect...

LOL, now I am fixated on "itty bitty" containers that I can transfer make up and skincare products into!!

Thanks again!

http://www.seatguru.com/articles/tsa_prohibited_items.php

Here's a link to the items that must be in the baggies, (scroll down to the make up area)

& here's a cut & paste from the TSA blog:

Deodorant: Stick deodorant is not limited to 3.4 oz or less, but gel or spray deodorant is.

Suntan & Sun Block Lotion: Lotions fall under the 3-1-1 procedures that I mentioned above. So do the aerosol spray lotions. Sunblock sticks do not fall under this rule.

Makeup: Any liquid makeup cosmetics such as eyeliner, nail polish, liquid foundation, etc. should be placed in the baggie. That goes for perfume as well. Powder makeup is fine.

Over the years I've developed a makeup bag that's almost all powder for travel. I have a second job I go to 2 nights a week, so I use it for that as well. None of it has to go into the 3-1-1 bag, so I have only creams/lotions/face wash/mascara in my 3-1-1 bag. I can carry all my makeup onto the plane with no questions or problems, I think my makeup would be worse to lose if my suitcase went missing than almost anything else except my jewelry. I always travel with my husband, so I use his 3-1-1 bag for shampoo/conditioner/body wash. Things might get tight in the 3-1-1 bag if he's not with me, I'd probably eliminate the body wash and use their provided shampoo for that purpose.

With both those things packed into my tote (never into the roll aboard, that's been taken from me and gate checked at the last minute), at least I know my hair and makeup will be OK :)

I've mentioned this before, if you have access to a Nordstrom store, the cosmetics counter will fill sample sized products for you. The jars they use are about the size of a 50 cent piece, hold probably 1/4 oz. which is plenty for a weeks worth of most face creams/lotions. I have one that I keep refilling my loose powder, it holds more than a weeks worth. I use one for my facial sunscreen, another for my night cream. I also only buy cosmetics when they have a gift with purchase and many times I can use those sample sizes, such as mascara, for travel.

Thanks for all the help ladies...

I completed my trip with my carry on and make up just fine.

Now I know that one can carry all make up in a little baggy!... And all that stuff I have carried along in my checked baggage in fact is not necessary...

I did what others suggested. On the way home I discarded inexpensive things I did not need, like the little bottle of hair gel, hair spray ect...

LOL, now I am fixated on "itty bitty" containers that I can transfer make up and skincare products into!!

Thanks again!

You ARE getting to be quite the light packer!!!

Right now, I'm using varying sizes of GoToobs for my liquids. They come in 3 sizes, all below the 3.4 oz limit (1.5, 2, and 3 oz). There are also GoTubbs - little containers. They do cost a bit, but the reusability is amazing and I have not had a leak yet with them (but don't put argan oil in one - it is absorbed...). You can also hit up any outdoor/backpacking store and find varying small containers.

LOL, you must of read my Italy posts!!

Yes I have learned how to bring only what is necessary and much to my surprise, I don't even miss the things I thought prior I could not travel without... You know I have learned that I always go for the same make up anyway, so why bring the stuff that I never use anyway.....

Between traveling by train in Italy, then this trip where I needed to go with only a carry on I am getting good at it...

And this... am not too proud to get a little help....This was a first trip without my husband to help with suitcase. I put my carry on bag in the overhead... Just a week-ender bag but still I packed a little heavy. I found that the gents on the plane, most of them traveling business men, were quite nice... As soon as I tried to get my bag out of the overhead they offered to help..... Was thankful and you bet, I took the help...

Funny story.... I put my luggage thru X-Ray,, Pick up my purse and just walked away. You know husband always does the luggage... So few minutes later it dawns on me, where is my suitcase... No husband, had to go back to the X-ray spot and get my luggage.... Geez, amazing I am not on the no fly list....

Archived