Throwing clothes away

cmptrwiz

When you cruise do you throw any clothes away. We always take a few old t-shirts on our cruise and we wear them when we snorkel or swim in the ocean. We wear them in the water to keep from getting sunburned on our backs. After swimming we throw them away. On our next cruise I'm thinking of taking some dress shoes that hurt my feet after I wear them awhile and throwing them away at the end of the cruise. More room for souvenirs and makes your load a little lighter.

Wiz

Edited by cmptrwiz

That reminds me of a funny story that happened on the last cruise we took on the Liberty. My DH had a shirt that he has taken on the last few cruises, and he complained about how it fit everytime he wore it. Finally, i threw it in the garbage on the ship and told him to quit his complaining. When we came back to our room later that evening, the shirt was nicely folded and laying on the dresser. So, we threw it away again. Next day, it was folded on the dresser again.

I suppose our Steward thought we would never throw away a shirt in such good condition, so he took it out. The next time we threw it away, we put it in a plastic bag and then in the trash.

Finally got rid of it.

Claudia

that reminds me of a funny story that happened on the last cruise we took on the liberty. My dh had a shirt that he has taken on the last few cruises, and he complained about how it fit everytime he wore it. Finally, i threw it in the garbage on the ship and told him to quit his complaining. When we came back to our room later that evening, the shirt was nicely folded and laying on the dresser. So, we threw it away again. Next day, it was folded on the dresser again.

I suppose our steward thought we would never throw away a shirt in such good condition, so he took it out. The next time we threw it away, we put it in a plastic bag and then in the trash.

Finally got rid of it.

Claudia

lmao!

We try to donate as much as we can to local charities in our home town. I have left bags of clothing while traveling with my backpack, on church steps if I am unable to find a donation box.

This is a very generous thing to do however you might want to make sure that you leave the donations at a collection point or find the person in charge of the church to leave them with. With the security situation in the world today a unattended backpack, bag ect just left on the steps can be the cause of police and EOD (bomb squad) being called to investigate the items.

That reminds me of a funny story that happened on the last cruise we took on the Liberty. My DH had a shirt that he has taken on the last few cruises, and he complained about how it fit everytime he wore it. Finally, i threw it in the garbage on the ship and told him to quit his complaining. When we came back to our room later that evening, the shirt was nicely folded and laying on the dresser. So, we threw it away again. Next day, it was folded on the dresser again.

I suppose our Steward thought we would never throw away a shirt in such good condition, so he took it out. The next time we threw it away, we put it in a plastic bag and then in the trash.

Finally got rid of it.

Claudia

This also happened to me, my swimsuit clasp broke so I just threw it in the trash and when we came back to the room it was on the bed. I tried another time and same thing so I did what you did and put it in grocery bag and pitched it.

Generally I also give my used clothing to charity; however a number of years ago I took a pair of old sneakers to use while cave tubing in Belize. After we finished I changed to my current pair and went to throw them away, the bus driver asked if he could take them. Of course, I said yes.

Finally got rid of it.

Claudia

My husband has an artificial leg. The comfort of his other leg is really important to him because he depends so much on it. He got a pair of shoes for one of our cruises and they were really uncomfortable so he tried to throw them away and the steward did the same thing...every day the shoes would be sitting neatly by the side of the bed after Clay had tossed them in the trash. So he brought them home and threw them away here. He still makes frequent jokes about the shoes that wouldn't stay in the trash and that was 3 years ago.

I always pack the ratty underwear. It then lives forever in incinerated heaven.

Me, too, mostly for gym use. I joke that my only contribution to this world has been a trail of old underwear and socks that I've left in trash cans around the globe. I used to bring along old sneakers as well, but realized they could be donated to some organizations.

To avoid the steward retrieving the items, use the trash cans in the corridor (if you can find one).

Edited by SnowshoeCat

I have done the old underwear and throw away after wearing them. My last Med cruise, I had purchased some new tops, after wearing them, didn't like them, so just left them hanging in the hotel closet. I'm sure housekeeping would have kept them or donated them to someone, but it made room for souvenirs on the trip home.

The room stewards are not allowed to throw away clothing found in waste baskets to avoid arguments with passengers who may have made an error.

They don't want to be accused of theft.

As far as leaving bags of used clothing at churches or other public places, I agree this can be a security issue but is also often seen as an insult by the local folks.

We save for a year, carefully plan everything so no way am I going to wear old clothes or underwear on my vacation. We also don't overpack and will do a bit of laundry while on the trip, so no need to be concerned about the minute space a pair of underpants may take in the suitcase.

The only clothing I've thrown away on a cruise was completely by mistake, a tank top the same color as the sheets on the bed the last morning of a cruise. I decided not to wear it after all, told myself if I didn't repack it that second it would be left behind, and sure enough I turned to do one little thing, became distracted and left it there. I consider it my donation. Brand new, never worn.

We donate plenty to our local Goodwill. I send boxes with one of my bosses to Mexico every year, those really get to the locals (she has a home down there).

This also happened to me, my swimsuit clasp broke so I just threw it in the trash and when we came back to the room it was on the bed. I tried another time and same thing so I did what you did and put it in grocery bag and pitched it.

Same as with Claudia and you! Mine was a bathing suit top. Finally after two tries to get rid of it in the cabin trash can, I put it in a bag and took it with me to a different location to toss out! :D

LuLu

~~~~

I have taken my 'old' underwear on a cruise and thrown it away after wearing it. I also brought enough of the nice new ones for a few days. The panties weren't that bad, just not what I wear anymore. Silly, but somehow it felt better than just throwing it away at home, and it saved a (very) little bit of space for coming home.

I donate clothes to Goodwill, also to a local organization that delivers clothing overseas.

I have helped at this semi-local (has some US and world connections), The Orphan Grain Train, and just want to say, for goodness sake think about the condition of the clothes you are giving away. Even the most destitute of people can't use holey underwear and stained, ripped shirts used for painting! Or shirts from which the buttons have been cut off.

You can't believe the horrible things some people 'donated'. This organization had to remove their collection bins because so many people used them as trash bins--and I mean actual trash, not just old clothing.

This is a very generous thing to do however you might want to make sure that you leave the donations at a collection point or find the person in charge of the church to leave them with. With the security situation in the world today a unattended backpack, bag ect just left on the steps can be the cause of police and EOD (bomb squad) being called to investigate the items.

Yes but I was backpacking over 20 years ago!

When you cruise do you throw any clothes away. We always take a few old t-shirts on our cruise and we wear them when we snorkel or swim in the ocean. We wear them in the water to keep from getting sunburned on our backs. After swimming we throw them away. On our next cruise I'm thinking of taking some dress shoes that hurt my feet after I wear them awhile and throwing them away at the end of the cruise. More room for souvenirs and makes your load a little lighter.

Wiz

No I have never done that, in fact I never even thought of doing that.

Good to know I'm not the only person who believes in disposable clothes, usually limited to old underwear and t-shirts but I've also bought really cheap sunglasses and hats and left them behind as well.. Since almost all of the time I have to fly to a port it saves on baggage charges and also allows for purchased items (ironically usually t-shirts and hats) to be packed..so it ends up like an exchange...

Finally got rid of it.

Claudia

Next time ask your cabin attendant if he can use it or if one of his friends could use the piece of clothing. Especially if it is in very good condition.

My sister and I will always ask first before we throw something that is still in almost like new condition. And we have always found that our cabin attendants were glad to get them. Either to keep the article of clothing for themself or to give to one of their friends.

Why would you throw old clothes away? Unless it's ripped or permanently stained you should keep it and give it to Good Will or another charity when you get home if you don't want it. Also, if you swim in a t-shirt you can simply wash it in the washer and dryer when you get home, and it will smell and look fine. I've done this many times. I don't understand why you need to throw t-shirts away after swimming in them?:confused: That is so wasteful.

Count me in as another who takes old clothes along on a cruise and then throws them out so that my darling wife has more room to bring home more bric-a-brac in the luggage. I wear my underwear and socks until they are so worn out they start to get holes. I grew up in a family of handmedowns where you wore it out and wore it again. During the year as this happens at home, I set them aside and then bring them along on the cruise for one final wearing. So, yes I do throw them away as even folks who rely on charity have some pride and wouldn't want to wear them! By the way, my wife get embarassed with this, thus I do put them in a small plastic bag before placing them in the trash!

Edited by tip

Yes but I was backpacking over 20 years ago!

Foxesden1…Please don’t take it that I was criticizing you in fact just the opposite. I think the donations are a great thing. I guess with working in the environment I do I tend to look at everything from a security standpoint…I apologize if you took me wrong and I also know that 20 years ago the world was a totally different place