Another newbie! New to cruising as well!

BlondeCruiser24

Hey there everyone!

Well I am sure there are hundreds of these threads already floating around on here, but just thought I would add to the pile and introduce myself.

My husband and I and another couple are headed on our first cruise January 5th! Words cannot describe how excited we are about the experience. We are sailing on the Carnival Liberty and visiting the Eastern Caribbean. As mentioned, this trip is a lot of firsts for us. It will be me and my husband's first cruise and first time out of the country!

There are only 47 days left until we sail...and I am not going to lie I am very excited but also very nervous. I get anxious and worry about pretty much everything so I just want this trip to be fun and go smoothly. If anyone has some pleasent tips on how not to freak out about EVERYTHING please let me know.

Also a little question...we have been waiting to book an excursion for our trip. We only want to do one...and I just for my "anxiety" sake once again I am wondering if it is best to book through our cruise line or just wait. Should we do it before or when we get on the ship?

Thank you all again and I look forward to meeting all of you!

If you are very worried about the excursion then I would recommend doing your first one through the cruise line. In time as you cruise more then you can look at also doing some on your own.

Most people get nervous when they travel and when they cruise for the first time. As they cruise more then they know what to expect. I am sure you will have a great time and wish you a wonderful cruise.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Since you tend to worry about things - I would book the tour throught the cruise line. Some tours sell out quickly. By booking through the cruise line, they will take care of everything for you. Should something happen and the bus is late, the ship will wait for you. Independent tours -- if you get back to the ship late -- just have your camera handy so that you can take a picture of your ship sailing away.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and welcome to cruising. You never forget your first cruise. You've made an excellent choice choosing the Liberty for your first cruise. It's a beautiful ship! I think we've all experienced that "first time anxiety". Kind of like going on your first date, but magnified about 200%. If you should happen to be among the first to board on embarkation day, take time to explore the ship so that you can familiarize yourselves with the layout and see where things are. On our first cruise, we were on the ship three days before we discovered the Omelet Station (it's near the buffet area). Each day, you'll get the "Fun Times" newsletter delivered to your cabin. Take a few minutes to read it, and choose which activities appeal to you the most. Don't try to do everything. You'll wear yourselves out. I hope you have great weather. Contrary to what some think, the cruise lines do NOT control the weather. Cruising can be very addictive, so don't be surprised if you start talking about and planning your next cruise either while you're still on board, or soon after returning home. I hope you have a great cruise! :)

Welcome to cruising - and relaaax. :D

One thing I like to do is check out the ports in Google Earth. Sometimes you can see a cruise ship so you know exactly where you dock. It gives you an idea of what's in the area. I found that on our Caribbean cruise there were things (shops, the beach, etc.) right at a lot of the dock areas so we didn't do any excursions there. The one we did was the America's Cup yacht race in St. Maarten - lots of fun.

Get a guidebook on your ports and read it! That way, you'll know what each country you're visiting offers...THEN you can decide what you'd like to do. After that, you can decide HOW to do it! Once you've settled on an activity, go to the "Port of Call" boards on this site, and see how others have done what you want to do! If you decide to do a ship's excursion, then go ahead and book it in advance! If you were to get on the ship and find it sold out, you'd be sad!

It will also help you on those port days where you don't have a formal excursion planned! So many things are quite easy to do on your own, it's silly to spend money on a "tour" when you don't have to!

Yes...relax! This is supposed to be a vacation! There is no "right or wrong" way!!!

This realization kept me from freaking out my first cruise. I figured there are only 3 things you really need to focus on.

1) Make sure you have a way to get to they ship

2) Make sure you have the proper documentation to get on the ship

3) Make sure you have money to spend on the ship.

Everything else after that is fluff and not worth stessing about.

Have a great time and like was mentioned .. Dont' be surprised when you start talking about your next one. :)

Check your ports of call here on CC to see what others have done in the various ports. You will see some good and some not so good. Booking on the ship is easy but do it early as like others have said, some get sold out. Relax and enjoy the cruise and do check the Roll Call board for your ship and cruise date. You may wind up in an unexpected really neat "Meet and Greet" party!

If you are very worried about the excursion then I would recommend doing your first one through the cruise line. In time as you cruise more then you can look at also doing some on your own.

Most people get nervous when they travel and when they cruise for the first time. As they cruise more then they know what to expect. I am sure you will have a great time and wish you a wonderful cruise.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Since you tend to worry about things - I would book the tour throught the cruise line. Some tours sell out quickly. By booking through the cruise line, they will take care of everything for you. Should something happen and the bus is late, the ship will wait for you. Independent tours -- if you get back to the ship late -- just have your camera handy so that you can take a picture of your ship sailing away.

I will definitely agree on these posts. But first (as stated in other posts), start reading up on your ports. There are guide books that cover just about any port. And probably just about every port has a website. Some of the towns are right at the pier (the google maps idea is a great idea; in fact, my hubby has been doing that just last week for the ports we're going to on our next cruise, even though we've been to them before) so you don't have to go far.

But if you do want to go a distance, definitely consider a ship-booked tour. If anything happens to your vehicle, you'll be taken care of (either the ship will wait for you or the cruiseline will handle you getting to the next port).

And remember, you can even beach it in many ports.

This realization kept me from freaking out my first cruise. I figured there are only 3 things you really need to focus on.

1) Make sure you have a way to get to they ship

2) Make sure you have the proper documentation to get on the ship

3) Make sure you have money to spend on the ship.

Everything else after that is fluff and not worth stessing about.

Have a great time and like was mentioned .. Dont' be surprised when you start talking about your next one. :)

I have lost count of our cruises, and still get frazzled, even though, ALL you need is the three listed above

Start tossing stuff in your suitcases now, and as many posters say, pack, then repack - removing 1/2. I have never, ever, noticed someone wearing the same outfit twice....or even 3-4 times.

Once you board, everything will be there for you - don't over plan, I still remember the adventure of waking up in our first port (St. Croix), looking out the door and WoW, we are in a different world! A cruise experience I never tire of.

Have a great time and come back to post about where you will be cruising next ;)

Welcome!

If you want something REALLY fun to do, I suggest the America's Cup Regatta in St. Maarten. You can only book it through the ship, and it is one of the top rated excursions in the Caribbean. I have pictures in my signature if you'd like to whet your appetite.

If you want one day to just relax at a beach and do some snorkeling, St. Thomas would be my recommendation. Many beaches and great snorkeling. Just take a taxi that you can pick up at the pier.

Have fun planning!!

Archived