Poor Canaletto

dag144

Just returned on a Ryndam transatlantic. We had not been on a HAL cruise since this past April. Went to Canaletto. While the food was as good as I remember it, the restaurant was empty. Went at 8 pm and we were the only diners left by 8:15! It must be the new $10pp charge.

Since the small HAL ships don't have much variety in dining venues, this waste is a shame. Hope that the JA's in Seattle quickly make better use of this space with a new offering. HAL needs some variety.

Haven't been on Eurodam or N.A. yet, but I do hear great things about Tamarind. I would be MUCH more likely to pay a surcharge for the corner-of-the-Lido dinner venue if it had a Pan-Asian menu like Tamarind's rather than Italian.

Haven't been on Eurodam or N.A. yet, but I do hear great things about Tamarind. I would be MUCH more likely to pay a surcharge for the corner-of-the-Lido dinner venue if it had a Pan-Asian menu like Tamarind's rather than Italian.

So would I! Can't wait to be able to try the Tamarind some day.

Just returned on a Ryndam transatlantic. We had not been on a HAL cruise since this past April. Went to Canaletto. While the food was as good as I remember it, the restaurant was empty. Went at 8 pm and we were the only diners left by 8:15! It must be the new $10pp charge.

Since the small HAL ships don't have much variety in dining venues, this waste is a shame. Hope that the JA's in Seattle quickly make better use of this space with a new offering. HAL needs some variety.

We found the same on our recent cruise on the Zaandam. We dined twice at the Canaletto but it was very empty. It is a waste of the staff hanging around with nothing to do and both times we were the only 6 there besides maybe one other couple.

So would I! Can't wait to be able to try the Tamarind some day.
We passed on a free dinner in the P.G. on the N.A. to go back to the Tamarind for $ instead! :D That is worth the $, but we won't pay to go to any Canaletto. We were not impressed with that on any of three ships. Okay for free for a change-of-pace. JMO!

On our just-completed Zuiderdam cruise we noticed that Canaletto was nowhere near as crowded as on our prior Eurodam cruises (taken before they started charging for Canaletto). I had pasta one night from the Lido and was very happy with it -- I expected overdone, but it was al dente and very tasty; glad I didn't pay $10 for it.

The solution to the problem of Caneletto would be to have better food. People wouldn't mind paying the fee if it was a worthwhile experience. We've actually enjoyed it several times, and II especially like the quieter atmosphere. The food seems to have gone downhill, at least that's how we felt on our last two cruises on Maasdam and Veendam.

I wish they would see it as HAL customers not wanting to pay more for a specialty restaurant and put the service and the money into the MDR if it is as poor as some here say. I look forward to personally seeing if this is true in three and a half more weeks.:)

...Since the small HAL ships don't have much variety in dining venues, this waste is a shame. Hope that the JA's in Seattle quickly make better use of this space with a new offering. HAL needs some variety.

This makes me smile.

When I reviewed the Rotterdam recently I said the Canalleto was the best little secret on HAL. The restaurant was popular, the food terrific, and the experience was worth it if only as a break from the MDR. Now look whats happened.

Its a great business plan. Build more, build bigger, charge more - how can they lose?

We shall see.

Our experience with the Canaletto was that the food was good but not anything different from the MDR. After that meal we felt that we wouldn't chance Pinnicle Grill.

i went to Canaletto twice last summer . it was free at the time but needed reservations . I too noticed mostly staff therec.....and we were originally refused the time we wanted...mmmmmm???

Now they are charging 10$ for what exactly ??? Food was ok ..not great nor selections outstanding ....I love veal dishes ...not too many offered ....Nickel and diming will not help bring people in

iMO when something was free charging for it is not exactly smart ...mospeople will not approve of the change esp since the menu has not been altered that much plus people are now saying the stuff they liked is no longer offered ....so that has to be looked at ..perhaps more choices not less would work .....

i think HAL should make it free again ...after all we paid for our food on the cruise ...why pay again for a corner of the Lido ..as nice as it is

If they want people there then they will need creativity in the menu or not charge ...i prefer no charge

Michele

It was mostly empty on the Westerdam 30 day cruise also. We tried it once after the charge was implemented.

I loved the Penne alla Vodka; they stopped serving it. My DH loved the lasagne; they stopped serving it. We stopped going. Never again. Not at all worth it.

It was mostly empty on the Westerdam 30 day cruise also. We tried it once after the charge was implemented.

I loved the Penne alla Vodka; they stopped serving it. My DH loved the lasagne; they stopped serving it. We stopped going. Never again. Not at all worth it.

I understand a Canaletto is being added to the Prinsendam and we would be looking forward to it. We have enjoyed it in the past as a refuge from the MDR. Sorry to see a number of our favorite dishes eliminated.:( We will give it a try on our upcoming cruise.

Karen

I started this thread and in fairness to Canaletto consider this. Their antipasto platter is very appealing, the fish soup was full of fish when I had it in the nearly Canaletto on my last cruise, and the Cod is excellent although it is now presented on mushy polenta instead of the wonderful grilled polenta that was used formerly.

Perhaps they should do as Royal Caribbean who has a part of their Lido area blocked off as a training venue for staff with great food all for an added cost of two bucks per person.:)

Archived