What are those "Odd" things some of us would never think to bring?

dis2cruise

One thing I always bring are those neon bracelet/necklace thingies that kids get at the circus or fair -- the kind that you "break" and they glow at night. I hang it on the handle of the bathroom door so I can find the potty in the middle of the night :D

Here is one I haven't seen yet.

For 15+ years now I have been bringing a roll of my own TP. I don't care for the John Wayne TP in the bathrooms on ships. What do I mean by John Wayne TP? Rough and tough and don't take crap off of anyone.

I thought my brother and I were the only people who used that term!! John Wayne toilet paper. LOL

My brother taught me that.

I'm sure it is. I just hadn't seen anyone else use it though. Oh well, so much for my little laugh for the night. Always someone there to be sure you feel stupid, right?

Sorry not trying to make you feel stupid, just heard it nearly 50 years ago in Australia so nothing new I'm sorry.

I wouldn't bring a power bar, or extension cable, they take up too much room, and trust me when I say we have a lot of a electronics (1 tablet, 1 laptop, 2 phones, 2 ereaders, 2 cameras). However these two items are must haves;

USB Charging battery. I have an 11000mAh, although a 5500 would do fine. Mine has two output ports, hence can charge two items at once. This is so useful, especially away from the room/power; how many times has your phone battery dropped to just about zero when you needed it... Also handy for keeping my mini video cam charged right up.

CEE 7 [European 2 round pin] to NEMA 1-15 [North America 2 flat pin] adapter. Most cell/electronics chargers support 110/230v (look at the small print), so having the cheap/tiny (3cm x 1cm, $2) adapter to allow an extra thing to use the European outlet is very useful and 1/20th the size of a power bar.

In the beginning we use to buy flowers for the cabin. Some times they did not last more a few days, so now we bring silk ones... they last all trip and are less expensive. Brightens the cabin. Cabin steward gets is a vase.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just an FYI that Carnival cruise lines confiscated our duct tape and Leatherman from our checked luggage and we never got it back. We were very upset because the Leatherman was expensive and their answer was too bad :mad:

Duct tape is very destructive to a wide variety of surfaces, which is good reason for its being confiscated. Far less problematic is gaffer tape, which is meant to be removed after serving it's intended purpose (hopefully not door decorating). As for the Leatherman, it's cruising not camping. There are numerous compact multi-tools on the market without knife blades of arguably dangerous length.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Just an FYI that Carnival cruise lines confiscated our duct tape and Leatherman from our checked luggage and we never got it back. We were very upset because the Leatherman was expensive and their answer was too bad :mad:

That's really too bad, and sorry to hear. There is no excuse for them to take your duct tape or Leatherman (regardless of what other know-it-alls may say). The fact you never got it back is wrong. Are you sure it wasn't lifted by TSA, maybe? Just saying...we've had a lot of things lifted from our luggage via TSA, or presumably. One was a very costly, battery operated motion sickness band.

Bummer to hear this.

That's really too bad, and sorry to hear. There is no excuse for them to take your duct tape or Leatherman (regardless of what other know-it-alls may say). The fact you never got it back is wrong. Are you sure it wasn't lifted by TSA, maybe? Just saying...we've had a lot of things lifted from our luggage via TSA, or presumably. One was a very costly, battery operated motion sickness band.

Bummer to hear this.

Yes, there IS an excuse: a number of Leatherman tools have sharp blades which exceed the length permitted, and duct tape is often destructive to the surfaces to which it is applied. Just because someone says something with which you might disagree, he is not necessarily a "know-it-all".

Neither are really needed on a cruise ship.

You shoukd have got it back.

But no idea why people take weapons on cruises with them and are then surprised when called out about it.

We almost always get at least one picture, so we bring an old fedex envelope or Manila folder to help protect the picture in the suitcase. 2 pieces of cardboard work well too.

The paper roll insert mentioned above works for photos too.

Duct tape is very destructive to a wide variety of surfaces, which is good reason for its being confiscated. Far less problematic is gaffer tape, which is meant to be removed after serving it's intended purpose (hopefully not door decorating). As for the Leatherman, it's cruising not camping. There are numerous compact multi-tools on the market without knife blades of arguably dangerous length.

gaff tape is extremely expensive (for a roll of tape).

...I'm expecting to see someone suggest a portable grill, their George Foreman, fishing gear for the balcony, water dispensers, juicers, blenders, or some other contraption they can't live without for 7 days. ....

Now you have me thinking......

A hammock for the balcony, a fishing pole, and a portable BBQ to grill the catch on. The perfect cruise!:D

Yes, there IS an excuse: a number of Leatherman tools have sharp blades which exceed the length permitted, and duct tape is often destructive to the surfaces to which it is applied. Just because someone says something with which you might disagree, he is not necessarily a "know-it-all".

Neither are really needed on a cruise ship.

Personally I've never brought them on board, but it's not my place to say they're NOT necessary. My father, while on dialysis had his Next Stage machine he hooked up to at night, and he did need duct tape to secure his cords. He also carried a sharp knife to cut the medical tubing. So yes, both we're needed in his case. You cannot speak for ALL!

To ThreeYellowLabs, yes, you should have received it back.

We bring silk flowers, after spending $ for flowers that die too early, makes the cabin colorful.

We also bring a shower curtain, to cover the open closest area, on Princess ships, near the cabin door. We hook the curtain thru a hanger on either end of the closest, then our personal belongings are not exposed, if cabin door is left open by steward when cleaning.

The opposite for us.

Each time we cruise or travel we end bringing things home that we never used. So now it is more a question of what not to take. Same for land based trips. The only things we really need are passports, money/credit cards, and meds if applicable. Anything else we can either get or make do with substitutes.

The opposite for us.

Each time we cruise or travel we end bringing things home that we never used. So now it is more a question of what not to take. Same for land based trips. The only things we really need are passports, money/credit cards, and meds if applicable. Anything else we can either get or make do with substitutes.

Have to agree. Plus clothes and the beautiful Mrs GUT.

Very true. But for those who have never been on a cruise seeing what is AND isn't useful can help them think it through a little more, rather than blindly following every downloadable packing list they find on the Internet :)