Is the Panama Canal on your bucket list ?

Thanks David

This is definitely on our bucket list - near the top actually. Only snag is getting the money together! Planning house alterations at the moment as my mobility has become a bit more limited, so we want to make changes to give us some longevity here.

Sure is.....This April, New York To Los Angeles via the Panama Canal on Norwegian Jewel then fly to Vancouver for 7 day Alaska cruise on Norwegian Pearl. Two bucket list items in the one trip Have to add some more now.

Sure is.....This April, New York To Los Angeles via the Panama Canal on Norwegian Jewel then fly to Vancouver for 7 day Alaska cruise on Norwegian Pearl. Two bucket list items in the one trip Have to add some more now.

And here I was, thinking you were a poor baggage handler working for tips at the OPT. Lol. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did in 1974 when it was still an American zone. Mention my name and it will do you NO good. Hahaha

Dave

Sutho, this is a guide to how to size your photos for a forum via photobucket., have a go. look forward to seeing the results.this is after you have signed up to photobucket and have a user name and password.

Dave

After you click on the upload button,go to your username on the top right and you,ll get a dropdown box. Click on account settings,then click on the album settings , then find the words view upload settings,click on a size setting, 640x480 or 800x600 and click save. This brings you to album settings , make sure the img code is ticked.and save this. Go back to normal uploads and see if this fixes your size problem.

Dave

SNAP - I am on the Jewel also for that cruise. Doing Panama Canal for the 2nd time but looking forward to doing New York and the surrounding area.

In case you missed this from the Princess board , heres a short video clip put together by the Canal Authourity of Coral Princess going through. Its a tight squeeze.

It was on my bucket list until we went through on the Coral Princess in October this year. It definitely is a tight squeeze - at one point I went down to deck 5 to get a coffee and wondered out loud why they'd closed the blinds - then I realised that I was seeing the concrete wall of the locks right outside!

A note for anyone planning pay carefull attention if the ship does a complete transit. Some cruise lines only go in one side and come out the same side and call it a panama canal cruise. Its not the same as a full transit. I think the best set of locks are Gatun Locks. Then on the Pacific side you have Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks.

For some reason the Panama Canal cruise just doesn't interest me. I can't see what is so interesting about going through a bunch of locks.

It was an amazing human accomplishment to build and a wonder of the modern technological age. Countless people lost their lives building it and the project was almost abandoned. Not only that it sails through fresh water in Middle America and even stranger sailing from the Atlantic side you are sailing from North West to South Eeast to get to the Pacific.

People often wonder how the Egyptians built the pyramids, the Panama Canal is similar. There is no way on earth in modern day Australia that we could ever accomplish building such a technological marvel. The unions would shut the project down for being "dangerous" and the government would never pay as it is considered "unsustainable"

People go not because of the scenery, thrill, excitement, but also because of the history.

I went because it just happened to be in the itinerary of a fantastic World Cruise that inclueded the Caribbean, USA, Mexico and Pacific Islands.

Did the Panama Canal about 23 years ago on SS Canberra. Loved it and would definitely do it again.

Now you are making me feel old....:D:D

Did it in 1984 also on Canberra..

(mind you I was very young then:eek:)

What a lovely ship...

Did you have the singalongs in the Alice Springs bar?

And here I was, thinking you were a poor baggage handler working for tips at the OPT. Lol. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did in 1974 when it was still an American zone. Mention my name and it will do you NO good. Hahaha

Dave

Baggage handler............... I'm not a baggage handler:mad::mad::D:D They are all a LOT younger ( and fitter) than me and work for a different company. I do the check ins........speaking of which.... can I get your email address so that I can contact you before you sail on Saturday....I have some info that may be to your advantage ( Mention my name and it may do you some good;))

Now you are making me feel old....:D:D

Did it in 1984 also on Canberra..

(mind you I was very young then:eek:)

What a lovely ship...

Did you have the singalongs in the Alice Springs bar?

Thinking about it as 23 years ago makes me feel old as well. LOL! Thankfully I was only quite young back then as well (not old enough to be in the bars ;)). Beautiful ship though. Canberra and Oriana were true beauties! :)

Finetunit - don't feel old!

The PanamaCanal is on my bucket list though DH has already been through, in his case in 1967 as a 17 yr old on the way to the UK.

They were supposed to come back via the Suez but it was closed during the 6 day war so they went around the Cape of Good Hope. We went round Cape Horn a couple of years ago to make it both for him.

Archived