Celebrity Solstice arrival

Sutho

Thanks to everyone for the one nighter reviews. I hope the many issues raised will be fixed when the cruise season starts, like today/tomorrow, Solstice's first Australian/New Zealand cruise.

Personally I really don't know why Celebrity bother with these one nighters, they don't seem geared up for them, no disrespect to those who went on it Sunday/Monday.

They obviously have adjusted the menus for Australia. On other Celebrity ships I have had a price for coffee and then the 15% is added when the bill comes. On this cruise the amount on the menu had the 15% (and then some?)already rolled in. For a latte and a skim cap it was over $10.00. I am sure that on other ships I have only paid about $9.

I stand corrected - I just checked my receipts - the one for coffee this morning includes the gratuity in the main cost ($5.25) but the one yesterday had the coffee as $4.50 then the gratuity as a separate amount - both came out the same but it seems odd.

The receipt from Blu was the same - the cost of the drinks then a separate gratuity.

Either way coffee has gone up from the amount listed on the Overview of drinks on the Celebrity board where it is listed as $4.00 for most types (latte, cap etc)

I loved my first time on Celebrity Solstice and would have loved to have stayed longer. I was unaware of the computer problems and I expected a long queue for checkin so I just went with the flow. Our stateroom was huge but in saying that we figured it was a wheelchair accessible one (I didn't choose it myself so hope I didn't stop anybody else from booking it). We had plenty of soap, shampoo, conditoner and ice. I didn't need a hairdryer so can't comment there.

And of course it was all too short and was still discovering new bars at 1.00am. It was a pity about the weather but them the breaks. The back bars were great and I wish I'd got to the Martini Bar - all to be enjoyed at a later date. My beef in the MDR was served exactly how I liked and I'm quite fussy with my beef. Finally made it to the shops late and to my surprise virtually nobody in them but was reassured that plenty of people had been before me.

Did see a few 'bogan' elements but still nowhere near the VOS.

All in all a good night out.

And great pics Sutho!

I'm thinking by what you are writing Big M that the crew weren't that impressed to have a one nighter.... it's a lot of extra work for them. I know you'll say it's their job, true, but to have a ship disembark and a full ship embark only for one night is a lot of extra work for them.

I definitely agree about the extra work, but also with what you say that it's their job. That said, the staff have been friendlier on all the other short cruises I've been on... plus my prior experience with Celebrity was their service standards were even higher.

Thus, it's a big drop to go so far, or maybe I was just very unlucky this time - but then I heard others' complain about service too.

And I'll guarantee not many tipped for the one night either...

Celebrity do autotipping, so I'd say the majority of people would have paid their tips, and staff would have been expecting that to be the case so it shouldn't have put a dampener on their mood.

If you wanted to be cynical you could say that they weren't rated/given feedback on this cruise, but I wouldn't put that to be the cause either, myself.

I am really please to hear the (mostly) positive feeback, as I am sailing her 16th January. I have checked my sea pass, and there is no reference at all to a boarding time. I can't even see a spot for it ... Perhaps this is because I am in AQ and have priority boarding? Can anyone who was on this cruise and in AQ confirm this?

I have done short cruises with P&O and Princess, and have experienced lukewarm service each time, but accept that it is simply a hallmark of short cruises. (On a short P&O cruise one of the dining stewards could be described as nothing short of rude). On a one-nighter, I can only imagine the heavy duty workload of the cabin stewards and bar staff. I certainly don't envy them. I have lots of experience in service/food/retail and even though times like Easter and Christmas are frantic and "just part of the job", it can still be a trial to get through such busy times, as they are out of the norm, and often coincide with serving more than your usual share demanding and rude customers ;). (Not that I'm suggesting that anyone here is in that category!!). I'm sure the computer glitch with cards and room access caused headaches all over the ship and resulted in a massive increase in the hours worked by the room stewards. (In the evening after turndown, there is usually only a skeleton of 'on call' room stewards, but it sounds like more of them had to work longer into the evening)

Thank you to all who have come back with their reviews of the one-nighter, it is very much appreciated. I look forward to seeing more photos. :)

The XPress pass does not have boarding time but there is information in the cruise documentation booklet. I hope that the debacle with such long lines etc will be well and truly fixed by the 16th as well. We are planning to arrive quite late on the 16th to try and miss the line.

Awesome photos of the ship... Can't wait to board her in April for my TransPacific cruise....

YES!!! Have a great trip on the Solstice in April. Super, super thanks and great praise to Sutho for such awesome pictures being posted of the Solstice doing its first visit to scenic Sydney. Looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, with this Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. As noted and connected below we did this great ship in June, 2011, in the Med. See lots and lots of ship facility, entertainment, food, etc., pictures below on my live/blog that has been fairly popular.

Below are just a few of my pictures from our sailing to illustrate how roomy, nice and classy are certain of the public areas on this ship. It's really nice!! Kind of large as a ship, but it never seemed that crowded.

Questions and reactions about this ship? For those riding her before our early 2014 cruise, just try not to "drink it dry" and leave too much "wear and tear".

For Sutho, keep posting more and more of your wonderful pictures.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,899 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas on the Solstice. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

In the top, back area near the Sunset Bar with live grass, some enjoy this area by reading, playing on the lawn or sun-bathing there. Usually, it’s not too crowded!:

SolsticeLawnBackSunSoaking.jpg

Super loved it when there were times at the pool in the afternoons on the Solstice last June when the “party band” was going at it with great tunes. This added to the fun and excitement around the pool area of our ship. Just like done by some famous California pop groups, we were hearing “fun, fun, fun” underneath the sun!!:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

This is an overview for how the whole main part of the open, central MDR was taken over by the various stations of food, ice carving, treats, etc., for a special mid-day brunch on a sea day. This photo was taken right at the start, before things got super busy. The only "downside" is that this buffet and location gets very busy and crowded with all of the people, plus staff re-stocking the food.:

SolsticeBuffetOverallTwoHigh.jpg

Terry in Ohio, great pics thanks. Glad you came over to the 'dark side,' the ANZ board. LOL

Yes, WOW!!! It's a great, busy, interesting board. Love the "dark side". Will be back more and often. Fun!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,899 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Yes, WOW!!! It's a great, busy, interesting board. Love the "dark side". Will be back more and often. Fun!

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks for your photos too. I am really excited now and cant wait to go on Solstice next year. I am so used to Princess and P&O UK and finally since I am trying a new line it feels like I am starting fresh all over again. The ship is truely beautiful and has a reputation that proceeds it.

Glad I could share all my photos and people liked them. It was really a thrill to do that helicopter ride. I would love to do it again so if anyone wants to share seats with me for a 20/30minute charter please let me know...seriously...they can take up 3 passengers. I would also highly recommend the helicopter flights to people visiting Sydney. They are cheaper than the Harbour Bridge Climb (I think) and you see a lot more and have an exciting time.

Thanks for your photos too. I am really excited now and cant wait to go on Solstice next year. I am so used to Princess and P&O UK and finally since I am trying a new line it feels like I am starting fresh all over again. The ship is truely beautiful and has a reputation that proceeds it. Glad I could share all my photos and people liked them. It was really a thrill to do that helicopter ride. I would love to do it again so if anyone wants to share seats with me for a 20/30minute charter please let me know...seriously...they can take up 3 passengers. I would also highly recommend the helicopter flights to people visiting Sydney. They are cheaper than the Harbour Bridge Climb (I think) and you see a lot more and have an exciting time.

Tell us more on the helicopter experience. What exact location did it fly out of, roughly how much for its cost, net time in the air, did you shoot out of an open window or through glass, etc. Love to learn more. I want to do the Bridge Walk, but maybe this is a good option to consider, too.

Tell us more on the helicopter experience. What exact location did it fly out of, roughly how much for its cost, net time in the air, did you shoot out of an open window or through glass, etc. Love to learn more. I want to do the Bridge Walk, but maybe this is a good option to consider, too.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I flew with the window down in a Robinson R44 helicopter. Although I could have sat in the back seat with the door off we decided on the day that the window down was sufficient room to point the camera.

You can either do private charter or scheduled tour. Prices started from $125pp for 15-20min flights and $250pp for 30min+ flights. You do not have to book all the seats as you can book a "share with stranger" and the other remaining seats are either filled or left empty depending on bookings. The flights depart Sydney Airport near the domestic terminal from the heliport near the long term car park.

Compared to the Harbour Bridge climb you pay $218 in the day, $198 at night and $248 in peak tourist season. The bridge you cannot take your own camera and you have to dress up in dull grey overalls.

The link to my facebook album is here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151196128734037.463649.519959036&type=1&l=400b2fa138 and I have tagged who I flew with. I am not sure if we are allowed to promote other companies on here so all I will say is that they were excellent and I would fly with them again. Their 20 minute Harbour Discovery flight is $150pp. In my opinion it is much better than the Harbour Bridge climb. Also if you are not aware you can climb the South Pylon of the Harour Bridge for $11 and that again is better than the Bridge Climb as you can take your own camera and have un-obstructed views of the harbour. My other photos from high angle were taken from the pylon.

To get to the airport its only a 10min drive from the city in good traffic. Once in the air you fly over the suburbs and can see the city as soon as you take off with spectacular views of golf courses and residential areas before coming to the harbour. You then circle the harbour and head out to the Northern Beaches before looping back to base.

I flew with the window down in a Robinson R44 helicopter. Although I could have sat in the back seat with the door off we decided on the day that the window down was sufficient room to point the camera. You can either do private charter or scheduled tour. Prices started from $125pp for 15-20min flights and $250pp for 30min+ flights. You do not have to book all the seats as you can book a "share with stranger" and the other remaining seats are either filled or left empty depending on bookings. The flights depart Sydney Airport near the domestic terminal from the heliport near the long term car park. Compared to the Harbour Bridge climb you pay $218 in the day, $198 at night and $248 in peak tourist season. The bridge you cannot take your own camera and you have to dress up in dull grey overalls.

The link to my facebook album is here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151196128734037.463649.519959036&type=1&l=400b2fa138 and I have tagged who I flew with. I am not sure if we are allowed to promote other companies on here so all I will say is that they were excellent and I would fly with them again. Their 20 minute Harbour Discovery flight is $150pp. In my opinion it is much better than the Harbour Bridge climb. Also if you are not aware you can climb the South Pylon of the Harour Bridge for $11 and that again is better than the Bridge Climb as you can take your own camera and have un-obstructed views of the harbour. My other photos from high angle were taken from the pylon. To get to the airport its only a 10min drive from the city in good traffic. Once in the air you fly over the suburbs and can see the city as soon as you take off with spectacular views of golf courses and residential areas before coming to the harbour. You then circle the harbour and head out to the Northern Beaches before looping back to base.

Appreciate so much, Sutho, these great and added details on your helicopter adventure. YES!! This is definitely a wonderful option to consider. The Bridge Climb could be great, but I don't like the idea of not being able to take my own camera along. I understand the technical reasons for why it is not allowed, but I do like to have my camera and get what is needed for my visual interests. I will share these details with our roll call and to those in our group for eight couples traveling from Central Ohio. From being downtown and on the ship (we do an overnight there before starting our sailing), getting out to the airport and back takes some time. BUT, the total time to do the Bridge Climb is also a decent, long period of time. Love your pictures and this awesome potential will be seriously considered. Doing BOTH?? A good option, but there are timing and budget limits.

Below are a few more on my on-Solstice visuals to help people get excited about their upcoming sailing on this classy, exciting ship. And food? They won't go hungry on this ship!! Many, many more visuals on my full live/blog connected below. Happy to answer any added questions on this ship, its offerings, food, entertainment, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,951 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

During the Brunch Buffet on the Solstice, here is one of my visual samplings. Here is an added example for the creativity with the many carved ice sculptures among the many salad options. This includes unique flower carving creations.:

SolsticeCarvedFlowersIceSalads.jpg

This was the Tuscan Grille “Signature Creme Brulee” that I enjoyed. A key tip for the Tuscan Grille is to “pace yourself” as the portions are large (and good). You need to save room for the desserts, etc.:

SolsticeTuscan2Dessert-1.jpg

For entertainment in the Solstice Theatre, it was called “Solstice -- The Show” featuring a European-style dance, air acts, music, etc. Very dramatic and interesting as they swing, twirl and soar over the audience and stage. It is a “state-of-the-art” theatre with these "Cirque-type" dancers being able to “do their thing”. Here is one example of the “air show” put on by the show performers.:

SolsticeAirShowFinalTwo.jpg

Here is the view from the back of the Solstice near the Oceanview Cafe as the Solstice makes a turn in the Mediterranean Sea between Italy and Sicily. Loved hearing the water and watching the action at sea. This is a great viewing area to see the "action" as you sail.:

SolsticeWatchBackTurnOfShip.jpg

According to my calandar the ship will be back in Sydney this Sunday with overnight to Monday and then again for a 3 day visit on 15th January.

I dont think I will get a chance to see it again to 4th March now when I board and I will get some night photos all around the quay that same night as we leave on the 5th.

I have already printed a few of my aerial photos on large landscape canvas prints to see how it goes. Got one on sale on ebay at the moment to see if I have any luck selling large photo prints of ships in Sydney and might have to do more. I am trying to get a group of people I know together to go for a helicopter ride in January to fly over Voyager of the Seas. There are onl3 3 more Sydney visits left for Celebrity Solstice before my cruise on it.

Archived