Random Thoughts on the Westerdam 12/2

tangerinebunny

This isn't a cruise review, just my random observations on last week's cruise.

Over all, the ship was in lovely, sparkling condition. She's well cared for and it shows. My one criticism is the broken lounge chairs in the rear of the Crow's Nest. It's a lovely room and those chairs are prime real estate.

Friendly service remains excellent. Cost cutting is mainly evident in the menu selections. There are more vegetarian offerings (a good thing), but also more lower cost offerings. If HAL is open to suggestions, I'd like to remind them that with food it's often better to do a few items well than to offer several less than stellar selections. The cold soups continue to shine.

And the PG remains excellent in service and quality.

I suppose the orange juice falls under food cost cutting. We ate our breakfasts in the PG and I assume were offered the best to be had. Once was enough; it's a small thing but a disappointment.

The CD announced that there would be one 9:30 show on the last night because people were not attending both performances. The blame seemed to be falling on the passengers.

And speaking of entertainment, the Adagio duo had a loyal following. They played mostly from a request book, so it was more Broadway, less classical.

We defected to the Crow's Nest.

Our port highlight was lovely Key West. I promised to recommend the Butterfly Garden to you and I do.

It was smooth sailing and smiling faces. I'll be happy to answer questions.

I forgot to add, we had 8 PM fixed dining. On formal night the maitre 'd stopped by our table to let us know that he had turned away the young couple at the table next to us because they were inappropriately dressed. It was their first cruise and they had no idea....

He said, the rest of you make an effort to dress to the code and we try to uphold that.

They were a nice couple and they did come back. And next time they'll know what to expect.

I forgot to add, we had 8 PM fixed dining. On formal night the maitre 'd stopped by our table to let us know that he had turned away the young couple at the table next to us because they were inappropriately dressed. It was their first cruise and they had no idea....

He said, the rest of you make an effort to dress to the code and we try to uphold that.

They were a nice couple and they did come back. And next time they'll know what to expect.

I have to say I think he was way out of line to do this. Stopping by at a passengers' table to tell them about a mistake another passenger had made? Why would he think this is anyone's business?

We left the ship the day you boarded and we witnessed one of the Asst Dining Room Managers or Dining Supervisors request a couple change their clothes when they appeared in jeans and polo jerseys on formal night. We were pleased to see that happen. He met them as they arrived at the doorway and we saw they leave. If they ever returned, we did not see them.

They did not seem to be rigid on Westerdam as we saw a few gentlemen without ties but they were wearing jackets and were neat and clean and presented themselves politely. I did not see anyone speak to them about dress.

Seems to be more interest enforcing formal night dress codes lately, on EURODAM in February and NIEUW AMSTERDAM in October we observed half a dozen dark sport coats by the dining room podium to be handed out to those without. To be commended IMO.

Tangerinebunny - are you saying the OJ is no longer fresh squeezed, or just not very good?

Glad to hear the positive comments on WESTERDAM's condition & service as we are looking forward to sailing in a couple months.

Thanks for sharing some random thoughts, Tangerinebunny! How wonderful that you enjoyed your cruise and that everything seemed to be ship-shape.

After reading your review I'm doubly glad that I took the time to pack a couple of pretty dresses for the formal nights. Since I'm new to cruising, this board has been invaluable in my preparations. I'll be aboard the Westerdam this Sunday and will be sure to share my experiences when we get back.

I have to say I think he was way out of line to do this. Stopping by at a passengers' table to tell them about a mistake another passenger had made? Why would he think this is anyone's business?

Agree with you 100%.

:(

Why does it matter?:confused: It's already been done,the toothpaste is out of the tube

Why does it matter?:confused: It's already been done,the toothpaste is out of the tube

The incident was reported and commented on by many. Others chose to focus on the dress code issue and I commented on the behavior of the staff. In every review, the details concern matters where "the toothpaste is already out of the tube" so why does any of it matter?

Thanks for sharing your observations. I would like to see one feature dish each night done very well than have five or six choices prepared only fair to good.

http://luv2cruise.blospot.com

I know we all look at things differently but I always think if it is on the menu, it should be good or it should not be offered at all.

I don't only mean the ships but all restaurants.

JMO.....

I know we all look at things differently but I always think if it is on the menu, it should be good or it should not be offered at all.

I don't only mean the ships but all restaurants.

JMO.....

I completely agree. Why would you even offer something if it wasn't the best it could be? The problem with a restaurant on a cruise ship is you can't really go somewhere else if you don't like it. At least not until you get off the ship. The same people are responsible for preparing all the food on the ship, regardless of what venue you go to eat at. Not to mention the fact that to you've already paid for it in advance.

Re: OJ

Your guess on the fresh squeezed juice is as good as mine. It's not the thick orange sweet pulpy juice of last year. It was thin, greenish, and short on taste. Other passengers were also commenting. So if it's freshly squeezed it's from lower quality fruit.

To add to that, changes in preparation aren't reflected in the menu. (Changes have been made and new menus not printed?)

The breakfast parfait according to the menu is made with fresh berries. Even on the first day ours had only diced melon, yogurt, granola, and one berry on top. Again, no big deal but disappointing.

The Crow's Nest drink menu promises fresh lime margaritas. And fresh OJ in the Mimosas. I asked and was told that all their juices are made from concentrates.

And the PG chocolates no longer made their way to the Neptune Lounge. Now that was truly sad!

We all knew that cost cutting was going to appear. I can only imagine the challenge of being to told to plan gourmet meals for 2000 passengers and that, by the way, your budget had been cut!

I completely agree. Why would you even offer something if it wasn't the best it could be? The problem with a restaurant on a cruise ship is you can't really go somewhere else if you don't like it. At least not until you get off the ship. The same people are responsible for preparing all the food on the ship, regardless of what venue you go to eat at. Not to mention the fact that to you've already paid for it in advance.

Passengers can take their own grub,just like their own wine

(won't hurt anybody right)

Subway is now selling subs for $2 each right now.

Simply get 2 dozen subs, "Slap a Luggage Tag on Them" and they'll be in your stateroom along with your case of wine.

There's alot to be said of sitting on your verandah,eating a subway sandwich,and sipping your $6 a bottle wine,as the world goes by.

Re: OJ

Your guess on the fresh squeezed juice is as good as mine. It's not the thick orange sweet pulpy juice of last year. It was thin, greenish, and short on taste. Other passengers were also commenting. So if it's freshly squeezed it's from lower quality fruit.

To add to that, changes in preparation aren't reflected in the menu. (Changes have been made and new menus not printed?)

The breakfast parfait according to the menu is made with fresh berries. Even on the first day ours had only diced melon, yogurt, granola, and one berry on top. Again, no big deal but disappointing.

The Crow's Nest drink menu promises fresh lime margaritas. And fresh OJ in the Mimosas. I asked and was told that all their juices are made from concentrates.

And the PG chocolates no longer made their way to the Neptune Lounge. Now that was truly sad!

We all knew that cost cutting was going to appear. I can only imagine the challenge of being to told to plan gourmet meals for 2000 passengers and that, by the way, your budget had been cut!

As to the OJ, I think your last guess is most likely the truth; they probably got stuck with a load of substandard oranges. Conversely, on your last cruise they may just have been lucky and gotten a bunch of really good ones.

The breakfast parfait probably met a similar fate; they may not have been able to take on enough fresh berries to use them in everything they normally would, so they switched to melon.

I know on my just-concluded Maasdam cruise, I had to take my drinks with lemon instead of my preferred lime for the first two days, because they weren't able to restock on limes in Florida. After the stop in San Juan, we had lovely green limes for the rest of the trip.

It's always worth remembering that ships must of necessity be self-sufficient, and they are really at the mercy of not only their suppliers but also those responsible for transporting and loading the supplies. I get the impression that quite often a ship sails before everything that was supposed to be loaded gets put on board due to delays and whatnot.

Passengers can take their own grub,just like their own wine

(won't hurt anybody right)

Subway is now selling subs for $2 each right now.

Simply get 2 dozen subs, "Slap a Luggage Tag on Them" and they'll be in your stateroom along with your case of wine.

There's alot to be said of sitting on your verandah,eating a subway sandwich,and sipping your $6 a bottle wine,as the world goes by.

I think I just spit on my computer screen! Funny! :D

Archived