Mongolian Station replaced by Comfort Kitchen

serene56

That photo is of the Mongolian wok (you can tell by the cooks clothing and people have bowls and are putting the veggies in them. HOWEVER, this past April the Mongolian wok station was inside like you said. The pictured area was a burger/hot dog grill and the one on the other side was the Tandor station.

I'm wondering when was this photo was taken. Maybe it was before the moved the Mongolian inside in preparation for the addition of Guy's Burgers.

Now you are confusing even me. My first picture was from our cruise on Carnival Conquest when she finally returned home in November of 2011. The second from Nov 2012. We have been on Conquest a number of times prior.

AFAIK, there never, ever, has been a Tandoor station on Conquest. If there ever was, it was only temporary.

Guy's Burger joint is just plain fattening and GROSS! Maybe the lines move faster but the slabs of gross beef, buttered buns, bacon, heart-attack induding grease replacing one of the few healthier options is a good thing? Im one who is willing to stand in line for the Mongolian wok the food was fresh, tasted great and healthier than most of the other crap! Im guessing the "Comfort Foods" are along the lines of fried chicken, mac&cheese, etc. I hope they dont take the Wok off the Valor before we sail in June...

Maybe send an email to Carnival and suggest they replace the MDR with a Whole Foods Market or Trader Joe's would be in order. I happen to enjoy a good greasy burger sometimes, but definitely don't normally eat like that. I have nothing against trying to be healthy, but some people really do enjoy that type of food, and that is their business, just as you may prefer healthier options. "Slabs of gross beef, buttered buns, bacon, and heart attack inducing grease?" I had better not even get started on my humble opinion of organic-food buying vegans. Now THAT would not be pretty. But, as everyone is entitled lto their opinion and choice of lifestyle......

Perhaps stevenr is suggesting something like what RC has in their MDRs for lunch.

Their non self-serve salad buffet was the food highlight of my Mariner cruise.

You pointed to what you wanted and they added it to "your" bowl, dressed it and then poured it onto a large plate.

Wonderful choice of top quality ingredients. Spectacularly good. Not sure if it was just for sea days.

Yes, it's called the Tutti Salad bar....had it on sea days only in their MDR at lunch time. You pointed to what you wanted salad and veggie wise, they then added your dressing of choice and you could have it mixed or chopped. They poured in into a large plate and then you walked to the end and added any pre cooked proteins that you would like. Chicken, shrimp, fresh mozzarella balls, etc. Was delicious and the MDR at lunch time blew anything away that Carnival has ever offered in their MDR for lunch.

Maybe send an email to Carnival and suggest they replace the MDR with a Whole Foods Market or Trader Joe's would be in order. I happen to enjoy a good greasy burger sometimes, but definitely don't normally eat like that. I have nothing against trying to be healthy, but some people really do enjoy that type of food, and that is their business, just as you may prefer healthier options. "Slabs of gross beef, buttered buns, bacon, and heart attack inducing grease?" I had better not even get started on my humble opinion of organic-food buying vegans. Now THAT would not be pretty. But, as everyone is entitled lto their opinion and choice of lifestyle......

How others choose to eat is their business! I could care a less, and Im by no means perfect I enjoy a good slice of cheesy pizza from time to time. Im definitely not an organic-buying vegan. BUT I do for the most part choose the healthier items and to see Carnival GET RID of one of their healthier options (Mongolian wok) and replace it with that - as the poster stated, they replaced it with Guy's Burgers and Comfort Foods (Bacon mac-n-cheese, fried chicken). Well I happen to like my heart and in-shape body so that just saddens me that those of us who prefer healthier eating will now have less options...

How others choose to eat is their business! I could care a less, and Im by no means perfect I enjoy a good slice of cheesy pizza from time to time. Im definitely not an organic-buying vegan. BUT I do for the most part choose the healthier items and to see Carnival GET RID of one of their healthier options (Mongolian wok) and replace it with that - as the poster stated, they replaced it with Guy's Burgers and Comfort Foods (Bacon mac-n-cheese, fried chicken). Well I happen to like my heart and in-shape body so that just saddens me that those of us who prefer healthier eating will now have less options...

The really neat thing about the Mongoliam Wok was that it was BOTH HEALTHY AND DELICIOUS!

I have never seen the cooks do what you've described here. Whenever I have ordered from the wok, they always take whatever protein I've asked for directly from the display tray (with a large spoon or spatula) and put the meat right into the hot wok. The meat always goes in first, as it takes the longest to cook compared to the veggies and noodles. The only items the guests have access to are the veggies and noodles. I have never seen raw meat go into any bowl before it goes into the wok. I have only ever seen them take meat directly from the tray it is in with a spatula, and put it directly into the wok.

I agree. We were on Liberty over this Thanksgiving and all I gave the chef at the Mongolian Wok was my selection of veggies. The chef picked up the proteins first and cooked them first then added my selection of veggies.

I agree. We were on Liberty over this Thanksgiving and all I gave the chef at the Mongolian Wok was my selection of veggies. The chef picked up the proteins first and cooked them first then added my selection of veggies.

back a few years ago-- when the mongolian station was first offered the proteins were on the buffet line. You used the same bowl- Multiple people in the line had different bowls

But the next time the meats were behind with the cookers. and you got a new bowl with the finished product.

After thinking about it-- that may be one of the reasons they got rid of it.

They needed a few workers to keep up with the mounds of dirty bowls that accumulated in the few hours it was opened.

another reason-- the cross contamination that may occur- Maybe carnival doesnt want to take the chances any longer.

back a few years ago-- when the mongolian station was first offered the proteins were on the buffet line. You used the same bowl- Multiple people in the line had different bowls

But the next time the meats were behind with the cookers. and you got a new bowl with the finished product.

After thinking about it-- that may be one of the reasons they got rid of it.

They needed a few workers to keep up with the mounds of dirty bowls that accumulated in the few hours it was opened.

another reason-- the cross contamination that may occur- Maybe carnival doesnt want to take the chances any longer.

Thank you! I knew for a fact that this was what used to be done!:)

The really neat thing about the Mongoliam Wok was that it was BOTH HEALTHY AND DELICIOUS!

Yes! I know thats why I love it and am willing to stand in line for it... I can eat something tasty and feel like Im on vacation but not eating nothing but junk food...

I have never seen the cooks do what you've described here. Whenever I have ordered from the wok, they always take whatever protein I've asked for directly from the display tray (with a large spoon or spatula) and put the meat right into the hot wok. The meat always goes in first, as it takes the longest to cook compared to the veggies and noodles. The only items the guests have access to are the veggies and noodles. I have never seen raw meat go into any bowl before it goes into the wok. I have only ever seen them take meat directly from the tray it is in with a spatula, and put it directly into the wok.

Yep, that's the way I've seen it done every time I've had it. (including on the Liberty) I've never put my own meat in my bowl.

I find it hard to believe that not one person in the last few sailings have not reported this.

I searched many pages to see if it was posted.

I booked the Glory because of the Mongolian Station. I planned my port days around lunch time at the Mongolian Station.

Call me crazy--- but PLEASE dont take away my Mongolian Station.

I was reading a RECENT FunTImes-- and on the back cover where they list the days dining venues-- NO mongolian Station. but in its place was Comfort Kitchen

So disappointed.

Never ate at the Mongolian Kitchen on any cruise.

Hope the Dream has the Comfort Kitchen....

Bill

If it's like the "comfort" food in the MDR, BEWARE...

Only Carnival could make a tasteless, chewy meatloaf...

Bring back the Mongolian BBQ!!!!

I have been hearing about the meatloaf ever since the change and never tried it until last month....and i can attest that to me...it tastes like bad paste!

I love the Bacon Mac/Cheese and other Comfort foods...but to my taste they missed the boat (no pun intended) with the meatloaf...

. I can eat something tasty and feel like Im on vacation but not eating nothing but junk food...

Ya know-- I just cant understand why someone will pay 1000's of dollars and eat stuff as they would when they are home-- meat loaf?? mac and cheese?

com'on now.

Ya know-- I just cant understand why someone will pay 1000's of dollars and eat stuff as they would when they are home-- meat loaf?? mac and cheese?

com'on now.

This raises the question, which I've been wondering - do you have access to Mongolian grills at home? We have them all over the place, and they are often available at Chinese buffets either all the time or evenings/weekends. I've found the ones "on land" to have a broader selection and in general, to taste better than the ones on the cruise - also, the lines are nowhere near as long.

This raises the question, which I've been wondering - do you have access to Mongolian grills at home? We have them all over the place, and they are often available at Chinese buffets either all the time or evenings/weekends. I've found the ones "on land" to have a broader selection and in general, to taste better than the ones on the cruise - also, the lines are nowhere near as long.

EXACTLY....

Everytime I wanted to try the grill, the lines were always ridiculous.

Bill

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be snotty with you and after I re-read my post, it certainly did sound that way, so I do apologize. I agree that all cruise lines need to offer a varied selection to appeal to most everyone. Could be that there was too much waste or not popular enough to justify keeping it around. Your original statement about the gross beef, etc reminded me of my wife's friend who IS an organic vegan. While I have nothing against her dietary choices, she is one of those who will make a scene if someone is eating anything that is not vegan within a mile of her. She would say things like "OMG, I can't believe that someone had to slaughter a cow just for their dinner - absolutely disgusting," and then go up and say something to them about it and how they should become vegan, etc and then the preaching begins. If that's her choice, fine, but its not necessary to make a scene when someone eats something they don't approve of.

I think a lot of people (not all, though) kind of splurge on vacation and eat things they normally wouldn't at home. At least Carnival still offers Spa Fare/light options on their dining room menu. I think a lot of it comes down to costs. In general, it seems that fillers, cheap meat, and carbohydrates tend to be less expensive than healthier foods. Sometimes something relatively light, such as a salad, is great for lunch.

Guys burgers are delicious. As far as the "comfort Kitchen" with the mac and cheese and meatloaf... maybe that's a good thing... maybe the buffet foods will no longer be on the menu in the MDR.

I used to think of dinner on Carnival as an experience.. now its just dinner.

I used to go over and over the menu, trying to decide which one of the delicious offerings I was going to choose, and sometimes asked to have a side of another. The last cruise, I found myself going over and over the menu, just trying to find one thing... sad really...

Pretty soon, we won't even have to bring clothing to wear to the MDR. Good, it will save me money on my airfare because I will probably be able to do a week long cruise packed in a carryon.

Guys burgers are delicious. As far as the "comfort Kitchen" with the mac and cheese and meatloaf... maybe that's a good thing... maybe the buffet foods will no longer be on the menu in the MDR.

I used to think of dinner on Carnival as an experience.. now its just dinner.

I used to go over and over the menu, trying to decide which one of the delicious offerings I was going to choose, and sometimes asked to have a side of another. The last cruise, I found myself going over and over the menu, just trying to find one thing... sad really...

Pretty soon, we won't even have to bring clothing to wear to the MDR. Good, it will save me money on my airfare because I will probably be able to do a week long cruise packed in a carryon.

I agree. I haven't been on a Carnival cruise in over 6 years, so I have not experienced the much-discussed cutbacks for myself. We are likely booking the Breeze for early 2014, and if we are disappointed with the cruise (at least as far as what Carnival has control over, that is) we wouldn't return. We've been wanting to try Royal Caribbean for a long time, and that could be the reason to make the switch. I've never been disappointed on any of my previous Carnival cruises (though our Princess cruise was sort of a letdown), but we'll see how Carnival does this time (unless there is a really great deal for Freedom of the Seas, that is).

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be snotty with you and after I re-read my post, it certainly did sound that way, so I do apologize. I agree that all cruise lines need to offer a varied selection to appeal to most everyone. Could be that there was too much waste or not popular enough to justify keeping it around. Your original statement about the gross beef, etc reminded me of my wife's friend who IS an organic vegan. While I have nothing against her dietary choices, she is one of those who will make a scene if someone is eating anything that is not vegan within a mile of her. She would say things like "OMG, I can't believe that someone had to slaughter a cow just for their dinner - absolutely disgusting," and then go up and say something to them about it and how they should become vegan, etc and then the preaching begins. If that's her choice, fine, but its not necessary to make a scene when someone eats something they don't approve of.

I think a lot of people (not all, though) kind of splurge on vacation and eat things they normally wouldn't at home. At least Carnival still offers Spa Fare/light options on their dining room menu. I think a lot of it comes down to costs. In general, it seems that fillers, cheap meat, and carbohydrates tend to be less expensive than healthier foods. Sometimes something relatively light, such as a salad, is great for lunch.

LOL. I dont preach to others at my table and I do eat LEAN beef from time to time (mostly homemade tacos). Im definitely not a vegeterian, for that matter there are only a few veggies I actually like! But I do prefer to not eat things like fattening beef and greasy fried foods. The group of 5 girfriends I travelled on the Ecstacy last year, mostly all of them would grab the greasy stuff and it certainly didnt bother me, I just ate what I want and they ate what they want. And you are right, most people do splurge while on vacation (the girls I travelled with are all skinny dance teachers!) LOL and I splurge some too. I didnt mean to sound judgemental I just read the cruise critic review of the Breeze and that was the description of Guys Burgers - 80/20 slabs of beef, buttered buns, mayo, bacon, etc.

Archived