Carnival Breeze Grand Turk missed port cruise 10/04/12

emmacruises00

We were on the Carnival Breeze (sailing date 10/02/12) and we missed our first port, Grand Turk. We heard at 6:15 A.M. (from the bridge) that the seas and wind were too rough to dock, and we would have an additional day at sea. We had perfect weather, and very, very calm seas. We had heard that the Breeze had missed many ports in Europe, so we are wondering if the captain is just a little bit scared to dock in any kind of unusual conditions, and that's why the Breeze hasn't docked in so many ports? This was her first sailing to Grand Turk, so we were trying to decide what to make of it. We were also wondering if Holland America's Niew Amsterdam docked that day, because her captain might not be as scared as Breeze's?? Anyone else on this sailing have any comments? This was me 14th cruise, so we kind of know rough seas and all :D. Also, if anyone knows if the Niew Amsterdam docked, that would help too :). We are just curious, there's not anything we can do about it, but it was a big disappointment :(

Thanks!

Emma

And for N. Amsterdam's success or failure, you might want to ask on the Holland America board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

The Carnival board is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

Was at Grand Turk last December on N. Amsterdam last December, and happened to talk to the Captain that day. The dock location is a very narrow dredged channel, and it is very easy to see the issues that could happen there.

Considering the Breeze's first cruise from Miami was in late November and you sailed in October, I'm having a hard time understanding what you're talking about.

Do we have misinformation? Do we have a troll? Do we have a credibility issue?

Considering the Breeze's first cruise from Miami was in late November and you sailed in October, I'm having a hard time understanding what you're talking about.

The OP accidentally typed the wrong date...why are you making a big deal out of it? She corrected it in a post on the Carnival board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36398030&postcount=6

"and I meant to put in 12/02/12"

We were also wondering if Holland America's Niew Amsterdam docked that day, because her captain might not be as scared as Breeze's??

I think that without knowing all of the factors that were considered in the decision-making process the use of the word "scared" is irresponsible.

The OP accidentally typed the wrong date...why are you making a big deal out of it? She corrected it in a post on the Carnival board:

Thanks, njhorseman :) I don't get why accidentally typing in the wrong number is a huge deal :( . I just wanted to know out of plain curiosity, and now because I accidentally typed the wrong number, I'm a liar :( glad to see that there are some nice people on CC :)

By the way, since the approach to Grand Turk is a dredged channel any problems with depth, etc could have occurred days before the ship's arrival and current weather conditions such as wind speed and/or direction or wave height can be totally irrelevant. It could be a picture-postcard day but that doesn't mean the channel is safely passable to a ship as large as the Breeze.

Thanks, njhorseman :) I don't get why accidentally typing in the wrong number is a huge deal :( . I just wanted to know out of plain curiosity, and now because I accidentally typed the wrong number, I'm a liar :( glad to see that there are some nice people on CC :)

Thanks, although I'm pretty sure not everyone here would agree with your compliment...;)

There's nothing wrong with being scared, we were just curious. We just thought that he might be a little gun-shy because we didn't know how hard GT is to get through.

Emma, I was on Eurodam the same week you cruised and we missed Grand Turk also. But, we also missed a second port because of high winds that week. Has nothing to do with a Captain being scared, but of being careful of his ship and his passengers. I'd rather have a Captain who is careful rather than careless like the one who caused the Costa Concordia to sink.

I didn't read the post on the Carnival board. This is the "Ask A Cruise Question" board. Is one expected to search, filter, and read every board prior to replying to a post?

My apologies for not being so nice.

I didn't read the post on the Carnival board. This is the "Ask A Cruise Question" board. Is one expected to search, filter, and read every board prior to replying to a post?

My apologies for not being so nice.

No, one doesn't have to search every board. However, the OP had perhaps only a dozen posts at the time, and there's a simple feature that allows you to read all posts someone has made by going to their profile page. I found her post in 5 seconds using that feature.

I don't assume that every new poster is a troll just because one of their posts doesn't make sense at first.

No, one doesn't have to search every board. However, the OP had perhaps only a dozen posts at the time, and there's a simple feature that allows you to read all posts someone has made by going to their profile page. I found her post in 5 seconds using that feature.

I don't assume that every new poster is a troll just because one of their posts doesn't make sense at first.

and I don't look to see how many posts someone has in their history before I make decisions on the validity of their post.

I asked 3 simple questions. The very first question listed in priority was 1. Do we have misinformation? Now to some, that might be interpreted as,,, is there a mistake in the dates provided?

Yes,, 2nd question was,, Is this a troll? Fair question. I've seen trolls with thousands of posts. I've seen trolls who never will set foot on a certain cruisline for various reasons but will still post a message or a thread just to get their jollies.

Emma - I can't see how you think this post is "a huge deal" and is calling you a liar. It's saying you put incorrect information up there, which you did, and is asking why.

As for the captain, I think your best course of action would have been to stick your tongue out at him and shout "fraidy-cat" as he walked down the corridor.

Emma - I can't see how you think this post is "a huge deal" and is calling you a liar. It's saying you put incorrect information up there, which you did, and is asking why.

As for the captain, I think your best course of action would have been to stick your tongue out at him and shout "fraidy-cat" as he walked down the corridor.

Another poster who doesn't understand it's inappropriate to use terms like "troll", particularly when the real answer is there was a typo in the original post. :rolleyes:

The captain was NOT scared, he was being safe! We got on the Freedom November 24th and could not stop in Grand Turk because of high winds. The seas were not terribly rough but the wind speed was high and the ship could have been blown into the dock or could have been blown away from the one pier. It was safer not to try to dock!

Archived