Will Princess have a new alcohol policy like Carnival

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

If this has already been posted, ignore, but I searched and didn't see anything. Has anyone heard if Princess will adopt a "all inclusive" alcohol policy like Carnival's "Cheers" program?

I just read about the one Carnival has, and I hope Princess doesn't follow suit. I went to princess.com and didn't see any changes to their alcohol policy, but thought I was ask here.

Thanks!

Hi folks,

If this has already been posted, ignore, but I searched and didn't see anything. Has anyone heard if Princess will adopt a "all inclusive" alcohol policy like Carnival's "Cheers" program?

I just read about the one Carnival has, and I hope Princess doesn't follow suit. I went to princess.com and didn't see any changes to their alcohol policy, but thought I was ask here.

Thanks!

I haven't heard anything about Princess considering such a program & doubt if it would be beneficial for Princess to add it. I've read about such programs on other cruise lines & would never purchase one of them. None of them would be cost effective for me & based on those I've met on Princess not for them either. Not only don't I drink that much alcohol but it's a lot of calories & I prefer to use my calories for tasty food instead. :p

Never say, "Never" but I don't think anything like this is coming soon. Carnival markets to a different age group and clientele. There are always exceptions but I've rarely seen any more than a very few people drinking heavily or partying in the same way as they do on Carnival. Princess has been offering a wine package on some ships which probably has more appeal to Princess passengers than an all-inclusive beverage package. Plus, Princess offers a soda and "ultimate" card (sticker) for non-alcoholic drinks already.

I looked into the Celebrity package and figured that it would be cost effective for me, because it also includes bottled water and specialty coffees. Not that I drink SO much, but over the course of a day with specialty coffees (or Bloody Mary's) in the morning, bottle water, a few beers in the afternoon, drinks before dinner, wine, and after dinner drinks, it would be a savings for me. However, my husband doesn't drink at all, so I would never buy a package that requires that ALL adults in the same cabin buy the same alcohol package, that would not be cost effective at all. That's the thing I like about the Celebrity package over the Carnival package.

Maybe I'm off base but after having sailed both the Ruby and Celebrity Solstice it seems to me clientele between the lines are similar. We purchased the all-inclusive drink package on Celebrity and seemed to have no trouble getting our money's worth. It's amazing how fast coffees, bottled waters, juices, cocktails before/after dinner and wine with dinner add up. Would I do it again? Not sure. But I certainly wouldn't mind having the option.

These all inclusive packages are great for some and a waste of money for others. Each of us must figure whether it will save us money.
I debated whether to get the package on my Celebrity cruise and was glad I didn't. I don't drink specialty coffees, don't drink bottled water, rarely have a mocktail, only occasionally have a glass of wine and maybe have one drink per night. It would have been a waste for me.

Never say, "Never" but I don't think anything like this is coming soon. Carnival markets to a different age group and clientele. There are always exceptions but I've rarely seen any more than a very few people drinking heavily or partying in the same way as they do on Carnival. Princess has been offering a wine package on some ships which probably has more appeal to Princess passengers than an all-inclusive beverage package. Plus, Princess offers a soda and "ultimate" card (sticker) for non-alcoholic drinks already.

I have not seen anything about this wine package on the Princess web site. What does it include/cost? As you mentioned, it is only on certain ships? Do you know which ones?

Thanks for any info,

Penny

I have not seen anything about this wine package on the Princess web site. What does it include/cost? As you mentioned, it is only on certain ships? Do you know which ones?

Thanks for any info,

Penny

There are two plans, gold and silver.

With the silver plan, you purchase 5/7/10 or 12 bottles of wine. Prince is $24/23/21 and 20 respectively. It allows you to pic any bottle of wine for $29 or less. The gold is similar with higher price and top of $45 (I think). Supposed to be available on all cruises of 10 days or more. However was not available on our three 12 day Crown Cruises in October.

I got the premium alcohol package on our last Celebrity cruise and felt it was well worth the cost...between specialty coffees, bottled water, soda, wine and the occasional cocktail, it wasn't hard to spend the $/day cost without over-indulging. DH had the regular alcohol package, and probably got his money's worth as well, and he doesn't drink that much at all, maybe a beer or two, a glass of wine with dinner, but likes his bottled water and coffees, and still we didn't feel we wasted our money.

If Princess offered a package, we'd probably take it, if for nothing more than peace of mind and not getting a surprise the last night of the cruise...you know what you're spending on drinks before you even step on the ship!

JMHO:)

I got the premium alcohol package on our last Celebrity cruise and felt it was well worth the cost...between specialty coffees, bottled water, soda, wine and the occasional cocktail, it wasn't hard to spend the $/day cost without over-indulging. DH had the regular alcohol package, and probably got his money's worth as well, and he doesn't drink that much at all, maybe a beer or two, a glass of wine with dinner, but likes his bottled water and coffees, and still we didn't feel we wasted our money.

If Princess offered a package, we'd probably take it, if for nothing more than peace of mind and not getting a surprise the last night of the cruise...you know what you're spending on drinks before you even step on the ship!

JMHO:)

I totally agree! Having purchased the Celebrity package on a recent Caribbean cruise, we saw how we saved money and we were happy knowing that everything was paid up front.

For those people who say "I would never spend that amount of money!"..well great for you....but when we are on vacation, we like our fancy coffees, bottled water, OJ, umbrella drinks at the pool, pre-dinner cocktail, wine at dinner and drinks at the lounge later...it doesn't take long to add up! Oh, did I mention champagne at sailaway? each to his own! I wouldn't buy the package on a port-intensive tour (like the Mediterranean cruise we are taking next summer) but for a carribean holiday, sure.

I would buy the package for sure and would not need to smuggle beer on board.Just tours and drinks we spend about $1500.00 on a 10 or 14 day cruise.Water,cokes,Speciality coffee's,buckets of beer during sea days,drinks for dinner,before,after at the shows,in our room,on the balcony,sail away drinks,Caribbean night party.We are on vacation,so we don't cut back.:eek:

I hope Princess decides to add a drink package similar to Celebrity's offerings. I've done the Premium package twice on Celebrity, and thoroughly felt I received a great return on my investment. I'm on holiday, and that includes enjoying/indulging in adult beverages. And contrary to what's been said, there are plenty of other fellow Princess passengers that have the same attitude. I've become great friends with quite a few of them. :D

Tony

Cruise ships make a big profit on beverages, particularly alcohol. The reality is that while a package might make sense for some, they're counting on "slippage," where people buy the package but don't use the full value. The more slippage, the bigger the profit. They're not offering the package because they're being nice. Consider this when buying your next all-inclusive package. :)

Maybe I'm off base but after having sailed both the Ruby and Celebrity Solstice it seems to me clientele between the lines are similar. We purchased the all-inclusive drink package on Celebrity and seemed to have no trouble getting our money's worth. It's amazing how fast coffees, bottled waters, juices, cocktails before/after dinner and wine with dinner add up. Would I do it again? Not sure. But I certainly wouldn't mind having the option.

Your analysis is good. It's more than just booze. Add up all of the non alcoholic drinks and water and it begins to look valuable to many people. Nice to not worry about the bill at the end of your cruise or signing checks.

I will bet Princess offers it soon as more and more lines are offering it ie. X, RCL, CCL amongst others. Competition will dictate their next move.

I will bet Princess offers it soon as more and more lines are offering it ie. X, RCL, CCL amongst others. Competition will dictate their next move.

How much of the competition includes soda, bottled water and juices in their all inclusive alcoholic packages?

I must admit, if I hadn't already booked the may sailing out of Southampton on the crown, the "free" booze adverts constantly flashing at the top and bottom of this page would have been enough for me to seriously consider trying celebrity. But I don't really want to loose my deposit to switch, so ill stick with princess this time :)

Least ill make the dizzy heights of platinum come the Royal TA!

I debated whether to get the package on my Celebrity cruise and was glad I didn't. I don't drink specialty coffees, don't drink bottled water, rarely have a mocktail, only occasionally have a glass of wine and maybe have one drink per night. It would have been a waste for me.

I'm going to be on the Summit. I usually purchase the ultimate package on Princess because I can order non carbonated soft drinks like juice. The Celebrity package would be $14 a day plus gratuity and in doesn't even include smoothies or mocktails. I purchase the drink package on Princess which is 1/2 the price of Celebrity's only because Princess does not offer anything other than iced tea which is worse than their coffee. Do you know what Celebrity offers in the way of included beverages? From what I have been reading on the Celebrity board it appears that all beverages in general are more than what Princess charges so their non alcoholic plan may work for me.

Archived