Where are the Nearest FREE Wi-Fi Hotspots in HAL Ports

Crew News

Since many cruisers have tablets/IPads/netbooks/PCs, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to identify the nearest FREE Wi-Fi hotspots where HAL ships dock (world-wide).

A Port name with approximate distance to, and a description of, the location you have discovered would be most helpful.

Example: Barbados: 300 yards (depending on where docked) - Inside Port of Entry building

Good idea - perhaps we can make this a sticky at the top of the page.

My usual proceedure is to ask the crew before I leave the ship - they always know where to go (unless it is a new port perhaps).

DaveOKC

Thanks for the link Dave, that's an excellent site. And we usually ask the crew as well.

Someone posted on the Costa Maya site that there was free wifi at Diamonds International. You just have to go inside and ask them for the password.

This is not from personal experience, so perhaps someone who stops there in the near future could verify.

Grand Turk: In front of a store called Froot something just through the duty free shop at the port.

San Juan: In front of the Starbucks (the wifi comes from somewhere else but I found it at Starbucks) about 200 meters North of the port.

Tallin, Estonia: From the deck of your cruise ship, whichever side faces the port. You can pick up the city's free wi fi; no password needed, high-speed connection.

At least it was when we were there in May, 2011.

Earlier this month, McDonald's in Papeete, Tahiti--the wi fi was not free at McDonalds per the crew; not sure they even had public wi fi.

There are already free apps that will let anyone interested in free wi-fi where to find it.

I'm not for making yet another sticky at the top of the page. People don't pay attention to them as it is and they just cut down on the number of thread that show.

:) Just about any Mcdonald"s in the world

I always thought this, however, Italy seemed to be the exception. We visited three cruise port Mcd's and each one said due to international terrorism, they couldn't give free wifi access to anyone without an Italian cell phone number to register with. However, we could get free wifi other places- guess it was probably a McD's corporate policy in Italy....at least in Sept/Oct 2012.

Keep in mind that although some port areas have wireless, these wireless sites may be oversubscribed, ie inaccessible or very, very slow because of too many users or too many users taking up bandwidth via Skype.

We often skip these and head to a bar or cafe nearby.

There are already free apps that will let anyone interested in free wi-fi where to find it.

I'm not for making yet another sticky at the top of the page. People don't pay attention to them as it is and they just cut down on the number of thread that show.

You may not like it but others might. When you says apps I'm guessing you mean on a phone. I do not have a fancy phone nor do I want one. I don't want to be one of those people who can't get their face out of a phone.

It isn't rocket science that anyone using a smart phone or tablet who wants free wifi would have apps. For those wanting to lug a laptop or netbook off the ship in search of free wifi hopefully they have the sense to check out websites such as http://www.wififreespot.com/ before they leave home. If they don't, having (yet another) sticky on the HAL page isn't going to help them.

You may not like it but others might. When you says apps I'm guessing you mean on a phone. I do not have a fancy phone nor do I want one. I don't want to be one of those people who can't get their face out of a phone.

I'm with Loreen!!

I do have one of those Fancy Phones, HOWEVER....I DO NOT want all that crap on my phone as it costs me money every time one is used, plus they take up so much battery usage that you have to charge your phone all the freak-ing time:(. The only reason I got the phone I have is so that I can see the screen by enlarging the font and the touch screen technology, I removed all but 2 apps on it.

I would love to have a printout before I go on a cruise that tells me where I can find Free WI-Fi.

I think Crew News has hit on an idea that would benefit so many who come to these boards, not just HAL, but every Cruise Line who wants to use the capability of their phone(s) and other electronic devices.

Nothing says it has to be a sticky, though that would make it so much easier. It could be like on the Disabled Cruise Travel Board where someone ALWAYS keep the "Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!" Very near the top of the threads. Heck, he could even make it into a page on his web site and everyone could go there, though many people just on the HAL board itself, prefer not to click on a link because they are afraid of viruses or worms.........

Look at the stickies we have now... We could merge the 2 stickies regarding As You Wish Dining into one. And How long do we have to see the sticky regarding Veendam failing 1 inspection, way back in Augus or September............That would give us at least one less sticky, even if the hosts see fit to create a new one with Crew News' Wi-Fi thread.

Joanie

What's wrong with the link Dave directed us to? Seems easy, check it before you leave, print out the ones specific to your ports. Adding another sticky at the top of the forum is counter-productive - there are too many now and mostly ignored.

What's wrong with the link Dave directed us to? Seems easy, check it before you leave, print out the ones specific to your ports. Adding another sticky at the top of the forum is counter-productive - there are too many now and mostly ignored.

I agree. Eight stickies at the top of the page is way too many IMO. The last thing we need is another sticky. Get rid of some, but don't add more in their place.

I have found the quoted website to be down a LOT and not overly helpful. I just don't understand why the thread is a problem. Use it or don't. Maybe it's because I'm not a genius:rolleyes:.

I think we could do without the dining stickies now.

I'm with Loreen!!

I do have one of those Fancy Phones, HOWEVER....I DO NOT want all that crap on my phone as it costs me money every time one is used, plus they take up so much battery usage that you have to charge your phone all the freak-ing time:(. The only reason I got the phone I have is so that I can see the screen by enlarging the font and the touch screen technology, I removed all but 2 apps on it.

I would love to have a printout before I go on a cruise that tells me where I can find Free WI-Fi.

I think Crew News has hit on an idea that would benefit so many who come to these boards, not just HAL, but every Cruise Line who wants to use the capability of their phone(s) and other electronic devices.

Nothing says it has to be a sticky, though that would make it so much easier. It could be like on the Disabled Cruise Travel Board where someone ALWAYS keep the "Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!" Very near the top of the threads. Heck, he could even make it into a page on his web site and everyone could go there, though many people just on the HAL board itself, prefer not to click on a link because they are afraid of viruses or worms.........

Look at the stickies we have now... We could merge the 2 stickies regarding As You Wish Dining into one. And How long do we have to see the sticky regarding Veendam failing 1 inspection, way back in Augus or September............That would give us at least one less sticky, even if the hosts see fit to create a new one with Crew News' Wi-Fi thread.

Joanie

Joanie, I mostly agree with you with a few caveats.

I fully agree that there are too many stickies here, and the 2 proposed for elimination/merging are appropriate suggestions. I think the wifi thread idea is a good one, but don't think it belongs on the HAL forum. While HAL, especially the Elegant Explorer, have a few seldom visited ports, most of them are of widespread interest, and access (and contributions) should be exposed to all cruisers. I'm not quite sure where the thread should be, although there's a forum something like "Tips for saving on a cruise" which seems like it could be a candidate.

I would also propose that the thread be expanded from free wifi to include good cheap wifi. I think of Nassau as an example. When I was there on the Monarch, I never thought of the straw market. I'll be there again on the Carnival Pride and will have a look, although I doubt it would be a good working environment. I did stop there in McDonalds and it had free wifi but it was very slow. My first choice would be the Nassau Public Library. Wifi there was not free but I thought $3 for most of a day of good coverage was a real find. I'd like to see sites like that included as well as truly free ones.

Joanie, if a thread was established somewhere outside the HAL forum, would you be willing to include a link to it in your signature?

Roy

Joanie, I mostly agree with you with a few caveats.

I fully agree that there are too many stickies here, and the 2 proposed for elimination/merging are appropriate suggestions. I think the wifi thread idea is a good one, but don't think it belongs on the HAL forum. While HAL, especially the Elegant Explorer, have a few seldom visited ports, most of them are of widespread interest, and access (and contributions) should be exposed to all cruisers. I'm not quite sure where the thread should be, although there's a forum something like "Tips for saving on a cruise" which seems like it could be a candidate.

I would also propose that the thread be expanded from free wifi to include good cheap wifi. I think of Nassau as an example. When I was there on the Monarch, I never thought of the straw market. I'll be there again on the Carnival Pride and will have a look, although I doubt it would be a good working environment. I did stop there in McDonalds and it had free wifi but it was very slow. My first choice would be the Nassau Public Library. Wifi there was not free but I thought $3 for most of a day of good coverage was a real find. I'd like to see sites like that included as well as truly free ones.

Joanie, if a thread was established somewhere outside the HAL forum, would you be willing to include a link to it in your signature?

Roy

good suggestions!

Archived