Checking in, Live, from the Mariner (Miami-Lima)

Mr Rumor

Greetings from the computer room, where the line of ipad and notebook computer toting passengers has been stretching out the door for the last 40 minutes. "I'm the most popular guy on the ship for the first three days, and on the fourth day everybody forgets about me," computer guy Zoran was overheard saying yesterday. Zoran, I still think you'll be popular on Day Four!

Terry Breen lived up to her billing as one of Regent's top lecturers. Speaking off the cuff she gave a very impressive introductory talk on South American, and Cartagena, in particular. Our transit of the Panama Canal will be her 79th!

So good getting to hear my favorite Regent trio, Nature Rhythm at our windblown lunch. Had only three requests this time and the guys punched them out in order. (It was my Day the Music Died medley--Oh Donna by Ritchie Valens, "Chantilly Lace" by the Big Bopper and anything Buddy Holly by Buddy--they those "Maybe Baby.")

Showed up early at the Port of Miami yesterday wondering how early we would be let on. The answer: 11:30 a.m.! We were the first to hit La Veranda at 12 on the dot, and got our favorite table on the Terrace. Another couple, doing the entire 72-day South America itinerary, took the table next to us and we wound up having a great chat about family, work, life, and cruising. I was reminded why we are back on Regent for our fifth cruise--the great folks we meet!

Very much enjoyed Setti Mare last night. Quite similar actually to the old La Veranda dinner concept, except you're served various tasty appetizers (my fave, the fried mini meatballs) before hitting the somewhat-downsized appetizer bar yourself. Again we were among the first to arrive. By 7:30 the restaurant was full, and by the time we left, 8:05, there were five parties on the waiting list.

Oh oh I just got a five minutes remaining warning (??) so I'm signing off now! Sorry for any typos.

Rich

Thank you so much for your review.

My wife and I did the total circumnavigation of this cruise last year and loved every second of the 72 days.

Terry is wonderful, as a speaker and person, she is very knowledgable.

We have just finished a cruise from Istanbul to singapore on Voyager (46 days) and the most entertaining speaker was Terry Bishop who I believe may be on board for this cruise. Would love to know who the Captain is and Cruise Director.

We look forward to your daily reviews.

Thanks, Wes and Tom. Yep, Tom, Ginny and I are delighted with Terry, who will be onboard for the entire 72 days. She sure puts in the time for Regent--eight months a year.

By the way we have 170 SA circumnavigators, and the ship is at capacity for this first leg. I must have really wanted to do this cruise--a week before we set sail (New Year's Eve) I slipped on a piece of ice and hurt my wrist. Luckily, x-rays were negative, so it is just a painful sprain, and I've been wearing a splint since (a bit of an adventure typing with it). Then, Regent dared to tempt me to throw in the towel and cancel two days later by offering a full refund plus either a handsome credit toward a future cruise, or a smaller sum in cash. But so glad we decided to chance things and do the cruise. Wrist is slowly getting better, and we're off to a great start. . . despite my just overhearing Zoran tell another passenger we're headed for rough seas tonight and tomorrow.

Hi ededmd and glorygaf. Cruise director is Jamie Logan and the captain is Daniel Green. Had a very quick hello with both at the hallway dash earlier this evening, very well attended on Deck Eight. Was expecting the Captain's Reception tonight, but instead it is scheduled for tomorrow. Ginny and I will have to do our own mad dash tomorrow from the theater to Signatures, where we have a 6:30 reservation!

So glad you are reporting for us! George and I did the first segment last year and loved it. Jamie is a great CD, and capt green outstanding as well. You will have a wonderful cruise, and I shall enjoy reliving ours through your eyes.

Thanks, Rachel!

As Elvis might have said, there's good rockin' on the Mariner tonight. I don't know what impressed me more about celebrated Russia born comedian Yakov Smirnoff's show--his material or the fact he appeared oblivious to the motion. Alas, my DW didn't fare as well, even with her patch. She's resting comfortably back in the room, which I should be doing, considering we're springing ahead one hour tonight. Terry introductory lecture on the Panama Canal tomorrow followed by American BBQ deck lunch. Gnight all.

Pls keep up the trip report, looking forward reading more. We plan to be on this trip next year, so we are very interested.

Yakov Smirnoff "I always have reservations, but then I go anyway" was a great comedian...didn't even know he was still performing.

Mr. Rumor

Thank you for your reporting. We get on in Rio and are getting ready to start packing! It sounds like a great crew that you have - sorry about the rough seas but I always think it adds a little adventure but not great for your DW.

Quote of the morning:

"Life is a series of experiences--connected by credit card statements."--David Levene, Signature Travel Network host for this cruise. (David was a VP for the Royal Viking Line in the '70s and '80s, the cruise line I worked for just out of journalism school--small world!)

Franzr, Jakov had lots of good lines, even some spoken off the cuff during a Q and A segment with the audience. My wife asked him to comment on all the willowy, slender Russian girls we spotted on the streets of St. Petersburg. His reply: "They were always there--you just couldn't see them behind the big, fat ones!"

Patti22, do get started on your packing early--you won't regret it!

With apologies to Bill Haley and the Comets, we've been rocking around the clock. Got the numbers from Captain Green's noon address: Very rough seas (6-7), 12-15 foot tall waves, wind at 50 knots. We're slowed to 15 knots, which means we'll be an hour or two late to our first port, Willemstad. DW had another rough morning, now has rebounded a bit due to kind attention in La Veranda (fresh ginger tea, green apple). We still thought it wise to reschedule our Signatures dinner. Looking forward to the captain's reception tonight and hearing the captain speak.

Curious as to the makeup (nationality wise) of our full house? I was! We're largely American, 484, followed by:

71 Canada

58 United Kingdom

25 Australia

15 Germany

6 France

2 Israel

2 Norway

2 Russia

2 South Africa

1 Denmark

1 Ireland

1 Mexico

1 Sweden

Finally (for now), I heard from Executive Chef Jonathan Smid that he will be trying a French bistro concept for a few nights in La Veranda/Setti Mare, starting on January 15. He explained that "French bistro food is near and dear to my heart, and I like to mix things up." I think Ginny and I can tolerate that type of mix-up just fine!

Ciao for now,

Rich

Quote of the evening: "You are authorized to charge this weather to your onboard experience"--Chief Purser Ernesto Reyes, at the captain's reception.

Rachel, I wonder how George would have liked a January, 1974 TA I did aboard the then brand-new Royal Viking Sea (had to get the ship to the Caribbean for its first slate of cruises). Hit a monster storm that bent the Sea's nose back. We were slowed to three knots at one point and the captain was so worried that he had the Sea pointed to Casablanca one day instead of our destination, Ft. Lauderdale. Still we arrived in Florida only one or two days late, and the 100 or so British passengers (stiff upper lippers, all) had a story to tell for the rest of their lives.

Unfortunately, our evening's headliner, Lindsey Alley, who had been scheduled to make her cruise ship debut, fell victim to the motion, and Jamie's two other backup Showtime ideas didn't pan out, so we're getting a movie instead in the Constellation Theater.

gdlamberth, I hope you'll give posting one more shot. The internet connection is slowest on sea days, during the day, when dozens of people are trying to log on at the same time. You might try the evening, on a port day.

I tried to post a 10 line item twice and it timed out so I think I'm done for his trip. Way too hard. Sorry all.

Please copy and paste from Word to minimize your frustrations (and time loss). Look forward to your thoughts if you have the fortitude. :)

Quote of the morning:

"Life is a series of experiences--connected by credit card statements."--David Levene, Signature Travel Network host for this cruise.

Love this! Fortunately with Regent most all of the experience is pre-paid!

Please copy and paste from Word to minimize your frustrations (and time loss). Look forward to your thoughts if you have the fortitude. :)

I have looked for Word on the Voyager on our last two cruises...... it seems to have either disappeared or is hiding. Kindly advise how to access Word.

I have looked for Word on the Voyager on our last two cruises...... it seems to have either disappeared or is hiding. Kindly advise how to access Word.

On silversea, I just wrote the draft on my iPad, then copied and pasted my post when I went online as I didn't have free Internet. You should be able to do this on any iPad or computer.

Mr Rumor/Rich

Enjoying your commentary so far, keep it up! We all love traveling along vicariously at all times of the year, but especially in the winter! I have loved my South America segments, and of course we all know that Terry Breen is the best for this area of the world.

Not wanting to hear this!

I tried to post a 10 line item twice and it timed out so I think I'm done for his trip. Way too hard. Sorry all.

USNA72

"Big Red Boat" Bahamas 1995

Destiny Caribbean 1996

Elation Mexico 1998

RSSC Mariner Caribbean 2002

RSSC Navigator Alaska 2002

RSSC Navigator TransCanal 2003

Paul Gauguin Tahiti 2004 B2B

RSSC Voyager Baltic Aug 2004

RCCL Mariner of the Seas Caribbean 2005

RSSC Mariner Auckland to LA 2005

RSSC Voyager Monte Carlo to Dover 2006

Paul Gauguin Papeete-Fiji 2007

RSSC Navigator Athens to Monte Carlo B2B2B

Silver Cloud Norwegian Fjords CPH-CPH 2010

RSSC Voyager Barcelona to Dubai 2011

If Word is not available (the Microsoft Office suite / starter pack is not installed or has been removed), "Notepad" will do. It is available on the most rudimentary set-ups.

Go to the start icon then "All Programs" then "Accessories" then you will find "Notepad" - (for reference, in the same subsection which you can access a calculator).

News is good! Seas now rated Moderate (4). . . and Curacao is dead ahead! We're due to dock at 2, with all tours still on.

Spotted our first younguns at La Veranda--two boys aged about 12-13, dining with their folks. I really wasn't expecting to see any, given the time of the year. Lucky kids!

Speaking of kids, our La Veranda waiter, Gennaro from Sorrento, has a two-month-old boy who he can't wait to see (along with his wife and 12 year old). He'll have that chance in a couple of weeks, when his contract is up. As an early partying gift to Ginny and me he gave us his recipe for limoncello:

combine:

10 lemon skins

1 liter, alcohol

1 liter, sugar

let sit for 20 days (25 is "even stronger," he said)

boil, then strain

chill

imbibe!

Archived