Checking in, Live, from the Mariner (Miami-Lima)

Mr Rumor

Thanks for sharing the link to the Sea/Albatross video, winemanvisalia--look forward to viewing it when I have a fast internet connection once again (in other words, when I return home).

Threechicks, I'm paying closer attention to the name tags now, and am finding a number of bar waiters are Balinese. Met a Kadek at the pool deck lunch today, in fact. Thanks for the info.

Learned tonight at the Sea Seas Society cocktail party that approximately two thirds of the passengers, 470 in total, are repeaters. Captain Green's talk was centered on the beginnings and history of the present Regent line. He's done his homework! Nature Rhythm capped off the party with one of its specialties, a cover of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

I've been meaning to mention that radio talk show host and columnist Dennis Prager is leading a group on this cruise. I spotted him nearby at Signatures tonight, holding court at a table for eight. I understand he led last Friday's Sabbath service.

At Signatures, halibut was very nice and not overwhelmed by the mild pistachio sauce. Tahitian creme brulee, Signatures' most popular dessert, was excellent, as usual. However, I still wish for a return to the rich, creamy mushroom soup recipe I enjoyed so much at Signatures (and I think La Veranda?) circa 2010. The present, thinner version seems here to stay. The foam topping ("Just milk," a waiter noted) didn't add anything, plus the promised "candied garlic" was missing.

Viva La Vida in just under an hour in the Constellation Theater!

Rich

A quick note before turning in. The Panama Canal's live web cams can be found at:

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/multimedia/index.html

The Mariner will commence its transit though the Gatun Locks at approximately 7:30 a.m. ship's time (which I believe is Eastern Standard Time). Transit of the Miraflores Locks is scheduled to begin around 3:25 p.m.

Extra credit for anyone who posts a screen shot!

Rich

Really like your posts. We are just off the Mariner..Rio to Miami Cruise.

Glad we missed the rough seas.. We loved Lindsey Allen. Hope she is able to perform.

We are also RVL Fans.. We were on the Sun when she hit the reef entering the Gulf of Aquaba in 1996. What an adventure that was.

Good catch, Kiwi Kruzer. I spotted Island princess behing Mariner, but the bridge-cams made great pictures.

You are very welcome. Thanks for the Gatun captures. Due to time difference we miss that part of the transit . When we awake , the ships are usually exiting Miraflores locks and entering the Pacific.

Greetings from the at-capacity computer room, where everyone is no doubt e-mailing friends and loved ones about our incredible experience today.

We entered Gatun Locks right on time, 7:30 a.m. Our Panama Canal adventure officially ended eight hours and fifteen minutes later when the Mariner sailed under the Bridge of the Americas, and into the Pacific.

We had great weather--sunny, partly cloudy, and, of course, hot. People were enjoying the experience from a variety of vantage points, the Observation Lounge (best seats were gone by 6 a.m.), decks, suites, Compass Rose, La Veranda, etc.

During our transit, especially as we neared Miraflores Locks, we got a great view of the massive construction project that is under way. The Panama Canal will be expanding with new, wider locks, wide enough at 180 feet to accommodate the biggest shipts afloat. An important feature of the new locks will be a reservoir system that will prevent water from being lost during the process. Presently, 52 million gallons of water are lost at sea for each ship that transits the canal.

The new locks are still officially scheduled to open next year, the 100th anniversary of the canal, but the Panama official who provided commentary said the opening could be delayed.

I attempted to post a brief report this a.m. after we exited Gatun and see now that it went poof. So I'll end for now, in the hope that I will be successful in getting this post up.

Rich

P.S. Thanks, Tom and Kiwi Kruzer for the captures. We were neck and neck with the Island Princess for a while, but won in the end going away!

My dad Don and his friend Dottie(from South Orange, NJ) are sailing with you so i was so happy to hear how its going. We just got off the Windstar this past saturday having transited the canal on the 7th and it was indeed a thrilling experience. Like Rich, we sailed north to south starting at Gatun locks and exiting on the Pacific side. Hope the rest of your cruise is absolutely wonderful! Cheers, Julie

According to our guest commentator, the Mariner's transit tab was just shy of $300,000, due and payable 48 hours in advance, no credit cards accepted!

Regent pax didn't qualify for a "Senior Discount"?

If I recall correctly, the cost to sail through the Suez Canal is almost the same amount of money. I think it is good for Regent passengers to know a little about the expenses that Regent incurs. It is also interesting that Regent needs to give "gifts" to the people at some ports in addition to inviting them onboard for breakfast and lunch. They really need to stay in their good graces or it could take hours to get the ship cleared.

Thanks for the kind words, Patti22 and yogagal47, and comment, TC2, and the chuckle, TedC. Don't think the Panamanians are into discounts these days, given the estimated $6 billion cost of the new locks, which will take about a decade to recoup. They do expect transits to increase from the present 35-40 a day to more than 50 when the new locks are operational.

Captain Green was exultant in his late afternoon report from the Bridge: "It looked very close (in the locks), but we never touched anything!" The Island Princess didn't fare quite as well, judging by the nasty scuff marks. Their paint crew will be very busy at the next port stop.

Internet was again painfully slow tonight, but stubborn me decided to take one more shot at a nightcap post, and made it through to the site with relative ease on the third try. Now hopefully Post Quick Reply will work!

Sea today tomorrow as we sail to Manta. The captain predicts calm seas.

Rich

Wonder how General Manager Michael Coghlan fills his day? Well it starts early of course, about 6, when he reads the night reports. "This usually determines how my day is going to go," he explains. He's not one to beckon others to his office, so he then embarks on his daily tour (kinda like we exercisers doing laps on Deck 12), visiting every key spot on the Mariner from the bridge to the engine room. "In a perfect world I'm out of work--I'm basically a troubleshooter," he says, adding that he has a special interest in mentoring the younger staff--"Their success in my success."

Michael has spent a quarter of a century at sea, also spanning stints at Cunard and Silversea. He sailed with Oceania before joining Regent in 2008. The Mariner is the 11th ship he has worked on--"and the largest," he notes. No surprise then that he has a special love for the smaller Navigator ("I'm around quicker"), but admires the Mariner for its handling of rough seas ("more stable") and the Voyager for, among other things, its larger suites. He noted that the Navigator and Voyager were built in the same Genoa shipyard (Mariotti) as the newest Silversea ships.

Being General Manager, Michael has his hands on lots of interesting numbers, and he was happy to share a few. There are exactly 683 guests on this cruise, and 448 crew members. The crew is made up of 41 nationalities. The Philippines is best represented with 150 members, followed by 70 Indonesians (hmmmm, I wonder what the breakdown of Wayans, Mades, Nyomans and Ketuts might be), 50 Indians, 21 British and 12 Italians. There are also nine Americans and four, including Michael, from Canada.

And as you can imagine, we eat a lot of food. Michael can put his hands on those numbers, too, so stay tuned for those.

Rich

Thanks, Wes. By the way, I'm finding that early a.m. (before 7:30) is the best time to check e-mails and post, better than late at night. I'm thinking that's when crew members are busy e-mailing to and Skyping with their families.

I'm getting my early morning case of "happy feet," so I'm off to Deck 12 now for some fast walking.

Rich, those new locks must have been fascinating to see. I think we will try to do a Panama canal cruise after they open, just to have the experience Did you stop at the Gatun lake? When we went through that is where we got the helicopter for the flight over the locks...

Glad things are going well. Look forward to your next report! Best to both of you

Gerry

Thank you for your wonderful reports. We don't join until Rio, but are loving everything you are telling us.

I think the French Bistro concept is outstanding. We really like eating in the Sette Mari because it was always quicker than CR. The French Bistro really peaks our appetites!

WE hope everything continues to go well for you!

Archived