The 10 people you will meet on your cruise

bordercollie

This has been great people-watching on paper!

As a newbie in here, I think this very well-written thread includes great tips from every perspective. Best thread I've read so far, and should be read from its beginning.

Seems to me that a cruise is designed for mingling with the cultural soup that is us. There are all kinds of people out there, including each type mentioned already.

And as to that one admitted extreme - the elevators -

I say, just expect to visit every floor when you get on. No stress, no disappointments. Make it a game. Bet quarters for how many floors, more women than men, etc.

I plan to have a great cruise. We all do.

Tip -don't judge people or call them lazy or tired just becuase you can't see their ailment. Some of us do need to use the elevator for just a flight or 2 of stairs at times and it won't be outwardly obvious. I have fibromyalgia. I also have been suffering for the last year from everything from bursitis in my hip to sciatic nerve pain. While when I walk it isn't obvious, the fact that my knee and half my leg is numb has caused me to just collapse unexpectedly on more than one occasion when doing things such as using stairs and scared a few people (including myself). I appear to be perfectly fine outwardly until you see me fall to the ground in front of you for no apparent reason.

you got that right!

On a sea day, four young boys had confiscated one of the elevators. Push all the buttons. Sit on the floor so people had to step around or over them. Nobody said anything to them. I decided to act. Wearing my cell phone, I pressed the ring tone. It got their attention. I then spoke into phone to no one. "Security here. We have a problem on elevator 2". As soon as the door opened, they were gone. As a group, everytime they saw me on the Lido deck, they went the other way. I find my fun anyway I can. ;)

On a sea day, four young boys had confiscated one of the elevators. Push all the buttons. Sit on the floor so people had to step around or over them.

I would have stepped right on them.

Like you, I will not tolerate little snots under any circumstance.

I decided to act. Wearing my cell phone, I pressed the ring tone. It got their attention. I then spoke into phone to no one. "Security here. We have a problem on elevator 2". As soon as the door opened, they were gone.

Love it!

• 3 weeks later...
And your point about tips!!!! YES, the daily tip is enough. It's what the cruise lines have come up with that they feel is a reasonable amount of money for their employees based on the level of service and expectation they provide. If you want to give more, great. I think you should also tip other people you deal with then, too. You go into McDonalds and buy stuff of the dollar menu, make sure you tip the cashier who's making minimum wage at least $5, and also the cook in back actually making the food. It's only fair and reasonable, by your own argument. If you make a call to a place of business, make sure you give the person on the end of the line your social security number and credit card number so that you can make sure they get a tip for that service as well.

I am a host and server in a restaurant and I completely disagree. For you to claim that the company has decided what is fair is upsetting. No matter how much they consider is fair, someone will think it's too much and complain which eventually brings it down. It's how our society is nowadays. To make the customer happy the company is forced to do what they can to keep them as repeat customers.

Also, tipped employees don't make a typical minimum wage. For some reason the government has let companies get away with letting the guests pay our wages. When I host, I make $8.65 an hour. When I serve, I make $2.13 an hour. The kitchen staff average $18 an hour! (That includes people who make salads, do dishes, and make bread and they don't have to try to put a smile on their face when someone is insulting them.) My $2.13 goes solely to taxes. I don't make a paycheck. I make what my guests think is "fair" whether it be (more often than not) less than 10% or the very generous 15+%. People don't realize that tipped employees don't make nearly as much as they think we do. It's actually upsetting when you've gone above and beyond for a guest and actually bond with them and they leave you $2 on a $30 check. :(

I've never worked on a cruise ship before, so I don't know EXACTLY how their wages work, but I would assume that it's quite similar and that they also feel that they work hard for little reward.

End rant.

Also kudos to the original post. I laughed because I understood that it was meant to be funny and true at the same time. People these days are rude, self-entitled, and have no sense of humor. (Ok, so not end rant.) Thanks for the laugh! :D

I cannot resist posting... I am not sure what number cruiser this is, but we call it the the UOC (unfortunate outfit choice) (and that is an acronym for the person who felt all americans come up with abbreviations...)

It is the lady of size in the bright pink stretch pants, or the gentleman with the solar overhang stomach in the speedo, or the lady of a certain age who CAN wear a bikini but her skin still stretches like the 60 year old she is...

I often ask my daughters (30 and 33) if my outfit is age appropriate. They will tell me the truth. My husband is sweet enough to tell me that I shouldn't wear a bathing suit with a skirt because I am not old enough. He needs glasses but won't wear them. ;)

Tip -don't judge people or call them lazy or tired just becuase you can't see their ailment. Some of us do need to use the elevator for just a flight or 2 of stairs at times and it won't be outwardly obvious. I have fibromyalgia. I also have been suffering for the last year from everything from bursitis in my hip to sciatic nerve pain. While when I walk it isn't obvious, the fact that my knee and half my leg is numb has caused me to just collapse unexpectedly on more than one occasion when doing things such as using stairs and scared a few people (including myself). I appear to be perfectly fine outwardly until you see me fall to the ground in front of you for no apparent reason.

Or my healthy husband that was in a car accident resulting in his hip socket being shattered. :mad: surgery, therapy, yes he can walk but he is still building his muscle back. They had to completely CUT through his muscle and he was not allowed to be weight bearing until bone healed.

I don't think the original poster ment to offend anyone and ment it as purly fun. At one point in my few cruses I have meet all of those people (n have probably been them LOL).

# Whatever - who could forget the cruse director? How can one person be AAAALLLL over the ship at what feels like ONE TIME!!

Some folks are still amazed that people of color cruise too...

I have had some folks give me the look like....."Why aren't you still in the Bahamas...?" I do not mind the look, but the ogle (sp?) because I am my 2nd grade staring eyes contest undefeated champ and I will win. However, I am used to being looked at like an exhibit in other circumstances.....a cruise is no different. Once the alcohol flows...we are all the same color.

I've only been on 2 cruises *so far* but thankfully, I can't say I've met too many of these people. There weren't very many children or teens on either cruise we took, probably due to school being in session when we sailed, so I have not witnessed bad parenting or teen gangs running about the ship. I haven't read the thread yet, but here's my 2 cents.

#2 it wasn't a roving pack of teenagers. We were leaving a lounge after a show, and of course everyone gets up at once and you're taking baby steps to leave with a crowd. Suddenly, I was rammed in the back of the legs by an elderly man in a wheel chair. When I stepped aside, he proceeded to ram several more people in front of us. I guess he had the right of way, even though no one saw him coming.

The "extremely tired"? Dude, chill. You have no idea what that person may be dealing with. To look at me, I look like a perfectly healthy, active early 40 something. Most days, I can walk just fine and may climb several flights of stairs. However, I have a vertebra that slid forward 140mm. Had that fused during 13 hours on the operating table. Now I have the vertebra above it sliding with a torn disc and a large cyst on my spinal cord that is impinging the 5th nerve root, severe spinal stenosis and my facet joints are grinding bone on bone. I've also had a knee reconstruction and I still have surgical screws in both feet. Can't tell by looking at me, but some days I can barely walk....especially after several port days of walking all day and only taking stairs for several days. Yes, there are some days I will take the elevator one flight. It may be the only way I can get there. Don't judge, because you have no idea!

Ok, now that I've read the thread....ouch! OP got piled on! I realize most of this was in jest. I'll forgive you for #9 as long as you promise to never ever ever judge the elevator riders again ;) Although I'll bet you'll often think of this thread when you see them lol

I thought of another incident I thought was rude, however, it's a debated topic on CC. Who gets the table? The person who sees the empty table, sets their stuff down on it to stake their claim, then goes to fill their plate.....or the people who get their plates, then wander around and around in circles trying to find an empty table? We were sitting eating lunch. The buffet was not completely packed, but packed enough it might be difficult for a large group to find a table together. So this large group comes in - at least 10 - and they're all excited to find an empty 10 top so they can sit together. They also had a couple of little ones. So they set their stuff down, jackets on the chairs, shopping bags and glasses and drinks on the table, and they all take off to get their food. This table was obviously taken, no ambiguity. A couple comes along with their plates full and shoves the stuff off a couple of seats and sits down at the 10 top. Ithink a couple could have found 2 seats that weren't taken. So members of this group come back one by one and confront the couple "couldn't you see this table was taken?" "You moved our stuff!" They were angry, but didn't cause much of a scene as they gathered their stuff and went off to find somewhere else to sit, leaving the couple alone at their 10 top. Now, if it was me and my family, we would have sat down anyway, surrounded the couple and crowded them out, stared them down, and made them uncomfortable. It normally wouldn't be a big deal to me, but it was the fact that this large family could have sat together but couldn't after giving up teir table, and the couple could have found another table with 2 vacant seats.

I've only been on 2 cruises *so far* but thankfully, I can't say I've met too many of these people. There weren't very many children or teens on either cruise we took, probably due to school being in session when we sailed, so I have not witnessed bad parenting or teen gangs running about the ship. I haven't read the thread yet, but here's my 2 cents.

#2 it wasn't a roving pack of teenagers. We were leaving a lounge after a show, and of course everyone gets up at once and you're taking baby steps to leave with a crowd. Suddenly, I was rammed in the back of the legs by an elderly man in a wheel chair. When I stepped aside, he proceeded to ram several more people in front of us. I guess he had the right of way, even though no one saw him coming.

The "extremely tired"? Dude, chill. You have no idea what that person may be dealing with. To look at me, I look like a perfectly healthy, active early 40 something. Most days, I can walk just fine and may climb several flights of stairs. However, I have a vertebra that slid forward 140mm. Had that fused during 13 hours on the operating table. Now I have the vertebra above it sliding with a torn disc and a large cyst on my spinal cord that is impinging the 5th nerve root, severe spinal stenosis and my facet joints are grinding bone on bone. I've also had a knee reconstruction and I still have surgical screws in both feet. Can't tell by looking at me, but some days I can barely walk....especially after several port days of walking all day and only taking stairs for several days. Yes, there are some days I will take the elevator one flight. It may be the only way I can get there. Don't judge, because you have no idea!

Like you, I appear to look normal, but I have moderate spinal stenosis. I will be getting another epidural injection a couple of weeks before cruising. I can't stand longer than five minutes. It is such a debilitating disease. The numbness in my leg and foot is insane and some days I can barely walk.

I share your sentiments about how people should not judge, because they no idea.

My list:

1. The Cabin Steward who will make sure my cabin is always clean and I have everything I need.
  2. The waiter/waiteress who always makes sure I like what I am eating and if I don't suggests some else.
  3. The person who has been on more cruises than I have and can tell me what places in ports are a "must see."
  4. The young teenager at the elevator what holds the door open for me when they see me running to get on before the door closes.
  5. The bar tender who after the second day knows what my favorite drink is and how I like it.
  6. The person at the Customer Service desk who will remove a charge, I didn't make, from my seapass account without questioning me.
  7. The person in the front of me in buffet line who will turn and let me cut when they can't make up their mind what they want to eat.
  8. The pool crew who walk around the decks and takes them to stop and asks everyone if everything is going OK and if they need anything.
  9. The parents who hold their kids back and have them wait until the elevator is emptied before getting on themselves.
  10. The people who aren't on an early excursion and are in no rush to get off the ship first.

My list:

1. The Cabin Steward who will make sure my cabin is always clean and I have everything I need.
  2. The waiter/waiteress who always makes sure I like what I am eating and if I don't suggests some else.
  3. The person who has been on more cruises than I have and can tell me what places in ports are a "must see."
  4. The young teenager at the elevator what holds the door open for me when they see me running to get on before the door closes.
  5. The bar tender who after the second day knows what my favorite drink is and how I like it.
  6. The person at the Customer Service desk who will remove a charge, I didn't make, from my seapass account without questioning me.
  7. The person in the front of me in buffet line who will turn and let me cut when they can't make up their mind what they want to eat.
  8. The pool crew who walk around the decks and takes them to stop and asks everyone if everything is going OK and if they need anything.
  9. The parents who hold their kids back and have them wait until the elevator is emptied before getting on themselves.
  10. The people who aren't on an early excursion and are in no rush to get off the ship first.

Thank you Ladycruiser for your lovely list....I have met these people on my past cruises too, and they are a delight....these are the people who catch my attention and my heart....

#11. People who list every cruise they've been on / going on underneath their name on this forum. Or their status within their cruise line's loyalty program (eg. diamond or whatever) :p. It's like some international pissing match over who's got the biggest.... itinerary. :D

I promise not to descend to this level of narcissism.

Hi Jono 70,

Agree 100%..... aint necessary! And also takes up a lot of space on the Posting board. Please desist.

"The Line Cutter"

These people will cut you in line.... wherever a line may appear.... At the Buffet, Waiting to get off the ship, etc. They have no shame... It's their world, we're just squirrels trying to get a nut.

Tip- DONT CUT IN LINE!

Tip-If you have to tell someone not to cut in line, you are wasting your energy and breath, they are too stupid to care.

2: "The Young Runners"

These people will literally run you over. Usually roving packs of teenagers that run around all the decks (usually by the pool at night). You will probably see them starting to form into groups on night 2 or 3 of your cruise. Once unfamiliar teens have time to form a social order they will pick an alpha male or female to lead them on their runs.

There has been an occasional loud group of kids, but even during the summer months when there are lots on board, I find them pretty well mannered overall

3: "The Watch Forgetter"

These people... well... they don't wear a watch. They show up 10-15 minutes late to everything. Most notably, they will show up late to the nightly show and stand in your way while looking for a seat or their friends and family.

Tip- IF YOU ARE LATE TO THE SHOW, GO TO THE NEXT ONE!

Not nearly the issue for me, as the ones who sit in the middle of the row because they want to be center stage, then need to get out every 15 minutes.

4: "The Super Casual"

They will wear tank tops, t-shirts, sweatpants, track suits, bathing suits... Not usually a problem... but they will wear them EVERYWHERE... including to the nice dining venues.

Tip- BRING ATLEAST 1 NICE OUTFIT

One of my pet peeves. If you can't at least wear dress shirt/pants and a tie on FORMAL nights, eat in one of the other venues. I really blame the ships for not enforcing the MDR dress codes better.

5: "The Bad Parent"

These parents don't care what their child is doing, as long as the child isn't annoying them. They let their child play video games and listen to their ipods at restaurants, the show... etc....The bad parent will also let their child sit in the front row at the theatre even though they aren't supposed to. I suppose the bad parent also has something to do with number 2 also.

Tip- DON'T BE A BAD PARENT

Tip- Bad parents are too dumb to know it. They don't stop the kids because they think their behavior is fine. Where do you think the kids learned it from?

6: "The Cheap"

They won't tip.... ever. They feel their daily service charge is sufficient to tip everyone that serves them throughout the day.

Tip- BE GENEROUS. I PROMISE YOU WILL GET BETTER SERVICE. ALSO, IT FEELS GOOD.

We tip the recommended amounts, and usually extra to the cabin steward, main waiter, and assistant waiter. I don't feel I need to tip extra for a drink that has already had an 18% service charge added to it.

7: "The Loud Talker"

They talk very loud. They want everyone to hear what they say... It doesn't matter where they are. Their favorite location to ruin your nice night is at the dining venues.

Tip- QUIET DOWN!

Have never been disturbed by overly loud people in MDR.

8: "The Master and Commander"

These people treat the cruise staff like garbage. It's as if they feel the staff is privileged to clean their room, serve them drinks, etc.... They treat all cruise staffers with disdain.

Tip- YOU'RE NOT ANY BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE. THE STAFF BUST THEIR BUTT 70+ HOURS A WEEK TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A NICE VACATION. TREAT THEM WELL

Gauranteed it is not just the ships staff they treat this way. It is everyone who performs any service for them, any where.

9: "The extremely tired"

These people take the elevator at all costs. Going up or down 1 floor? Yup, and they are too tired to walk down 1 flight of stairs.

Tip- IF YOU'RE ONLY GOING UP OR DOWN 2 FLOORS, TAKE THE STAIRS

We usually take the stairs for three flights or less just because it is quicker, but as I have gotten older and acquired many of life's aches and pains, I don't judge the physical capability of others on outward appearance. There can be plenty of invisible heart or lung conditions, arthritis and joint pain, etc.

10: "The bucket man"

These people will order a bucket of beer.... and carry it with them everywhere. Is it really necesary to order a bucket of beer? Then take it to dinner, the show, etc...

Tip- ORDER ONE DRINK AT A TIME PLEASE

Maybe not necessary for me, but as long as the person is not obnoxiously drunk, or threatens me if I don't carry his bucket..who cares.

Did someone mention your CRUISE NEMESIS? The person you can't stand, but always run into. Then ends up on a cruise two years later.:eek:

Omg - you just brought back memories - this woman was AWFUL & I could not get away from her! I even ended up sitting next to her while waiting for our luggage at the end of the trip (she sat by me). My friends saw who I was sitting next to & they just busted out laughing. Everywhere I went there she was - I am a bit worried she will be on my next cruise ;-)

Archived