Jelly fish?

PoppyMac

My daughter is suddenly worried about jelly fish and getting stung. Is this a problem at any ports more than others..or an issue at all? Growing up my little brother got stung off the coast of CA. I dont want my daughter to obsess over a minor or non issue! Thanks!

Don't worry about it. Yes they are out there but I've been a diver for over 40 years and never been stung and I've had hundreds within view on one vacation but nowhere you are likely to be. I made a dive just to see them specifically. The only place I really pay attention is in Austrailia. The box jellyfish down there kill not just sting. Even if stung a healthy dose of vinager neutralizes it almost immediatly and she won't be left scared for life. Please convince her not to worry in the least about this and just enjoy herself.

Take this opportunity take this fear and turn it into an educational experience. This is what we did with my son when he was young and developed an irrational fear of contacting poison oak & ivy. In the age before the internet, we brought him to the library to show him several books about camping and hiking so he could know what to look out for so he could avoid it. The books also told him what to do if he even thinks he may of touched some to prevent the rash.

Not every species of jellyfish stings and not all stings are super painful. Yes there are stringing jellyfish to found where ever there is warm salt water, but he chance of getting stung when no jelly bloom is occurring is very slight. Where these blooms happen and when is somewhat seasonal and can be researched. Vinegar is the best remedy with beaches that are monitored by the locals (in other words the at fee beaches) will have this readily available for quick application.

Thanks..I am not sure where this suddenly came from..but this morning I found out her Dad is going to Austrailia for a month in a few weeks..and I think the subject came up in his trip planning.

Sea lice sound gross! lol..I am not mentioning those to her! She gets wierd about little bugs and stuff! lol

I will reassure her about the jelly fish. :)

Archived