'Silversea announces new shorter voyages'

57 varieties

I seem to remember that Silversea had some 4-5 night cruises in the Caribbean several years ago. I thought they were like an introductory cruise to entice new clients and show them the brand. Things did not work out from a timing stand point, but we definitely would have taken one to see what luxury cruising was all about.

Our first Silversea cruise was aboard the Silver Explorer (then the PA II) in June of 2010 to the Arctic. The very long term, pay fully in advance fare was incredible (cheaper to go to the Arctic than Churchill to see Polar Bears). We loved the Silversea small ship experience and expedition cruising in general. We will be back aboard the Silver Explorer in May for the Portsmouth to Greenock cruise as she works her way back to the arctic.

Since the Arctic cruise, we have since been to the Galapagos and the Antarctic. We love the expedition cruise experience. It is definitely a grwowing segment of the industry and attracts a diffierent type of customer. If Silversea can attract some of those clients to their traditional ships as well, it is a real win-win for them.

We love the expedition cruise experience. It is definitely a grwowing segment of the industry and attracts a diffierent type of customer. If Silversea can attract some of those clients to their traditional ships as well, it is a real win-win for them.

That strategy worked very well with us... PAII got us started, and we've been on the Cloud and Wind 4 times since then. We like both types of cruise.

Mixed feelings about the shorter cruises - though I agree that 10 days or longer is optimal, we can't do that as often as we'd like. Having shorter options may make it easier to cruise more frequently. We shall see!

That strategy worked very well with us... PAII got us started, and we've been on the Cloud and Wind 4 times since then

Us too JP, PAII got us hooked, since then we have been on the Shadow, Wind and Cloud. But we are returning to expedition cruising with our next 4 all on the Explorer. We will never go on the Spirit - too big for us. Hopefully the destinations we pick will make it harder to split the cruise.

Ann

I can't imagine how SS will enforce a second muster requirement on guests like us whose original 10-day was split in two and our port time is 18 hours.

The split occurs in Hamburg where we arrive at 8:00a and don't depart until 2:00a the next morning. I know we're planning a full day of private touring, including Lübeck, and probably won't be back aboard until very, very late in the evening (10p or 11p). They can't force us to be back aboard by 6:00p, for example, to attend a safety briefing can they?

We experienced this on a recent cruise.We received a letter to our suite from Reception saying no need to attend.The day after we received a letter from the Captain saying a special muster had been arranged for 10.30 am due to our non attendance the previous evening.The penalty for non attendance would be disembarkation at the next port (we were 32 days away from planned disembarkaion).We politely enquired of reception who apologised for sending out the first letter.It would appear that the incompetent Betteridge has now invented 4 day cruises coupled with enforced musters every 4 days the alternative being eviction.What a way to run a luxury cruise line which has in the past enjoyed an average of 70% repeat clients on most of its voyages'

We experienced this on a recent cruise.We received a letter to our suite from Reception saying no need to attend.The day after we received a letter from the Captain saying a special muster had been arranged for 10.30 am due to our non attendance the previous evening.The penalty for non attendance would be disembarkation at the next port (we were 32 days away from planned disembarkaion).We politely enquired of reception who apologised for sending out the first letter.It would appear that the incompetent Betteridge has now invented 4 day cruises coupled with enforced musters every 4 days the alternative being eviction.What a way to run a luxury cruise line which has in the past enjoyed an average of 70% repeat clients on most of its voyages'

The disconcerting thing is that they never appear to learn and not repeat previous errors.

So how many obligatory musters were you expecting in the following 32 days having received the eviction notice?:D

It would be interesting to know those who are on all of the world cruise if they have to attend each drill.

We were recently on three back to backs and we also got a letter from the captain stating we must attend all. Those boearding late or who did not attend , had to attend a smaller, but less formal drill the following morning. We have managed all these years with only one muster, why change because of the Concordia incident.

Also we now have to sign that form to say we have no coughs, colds etc. In past recent years we had our temperature taken upon boarding, prior to that nothinghis really progress??

Thanks to Greygypsey's eagle eyes, we just found out that Silversea unilaterally shortened our 16 day Spirit fall crossing this November by one day. Therefore, instead of disembarking (from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale; 9-25 Nov, the new shortened itinerary is BCN to FLL; 9-24 Nov). Not happy. 16 day itinerary we booked included Gibralter, UK as a port, the new shortened itinerary no longer includes Gibralter.

Good morning Brimary - hope you are both well. Regrettably your comments appear consistent with the confused way in which Silversea appears to be heading. We are very concerned at the way in which M/s Betteridge seems to be influencing the Owners but are not surprised given her history. She appears to have a totally corporate Background in a Company that has itself lost much of its kudos over the years - maybe she is intending to do likewise with Silversea ? Her title is President of the Americas, but clearly she is responsible for Silversea Global Policy ?

Whilst we have far fewer loyalty days than you, we too have been very happy with Silversea over many years - indeed we have 9 future Cruises ( some back to back ) booked. However if this chaos continues and severely impacts upon the shipboard experience ( in our opinion Landside efficiency has been dire for years ) we will be forced to reconsider our future with the Line. The introduction of Weddings at Sea, Wine Groups, Incentive Groups, Taster Cruises etc is not our interpretation of Luxury and does not seem to provide too much distinction from the Mass Market Lines.

If the Owners want to remain true to their roots, firm action is now required to stop the rot before long standing Venetian Members quietly move away.

Thanks to Greygypsey's eagle eyes, we just found out that Silversea unilaterally shortened our 16 day Spirit fall crossing this November by one day. Therefore, instead of disembarking (from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale; 9-25 Nov, the new shortened itinerary is BCN to FLL; 9-24 Nov). Not happy. 16 day itinerary we booked included Gibralter, UK as a port, the new shortened itinerary no longer includes Gibralter.

Wes, did the price of the cruise decrease proportionally to make up for the missing day? It sounds highly irregular for a cruise line to shorten a voyage like that. And a shame about Gibraltar; we drove there as a day trip from Marbella a few years ago, and it's great. Sorry you're missing it.

Hi Jean-Paul, my bad, made a mistake clicking on the 2014 Fall Spirit TA (15 day--no Gibraltar) vs the 2013 Fall Spirit TA (still 16 days w/Gibraltar).

I saw that, after it was too late to edit my comment... Much better for you, though. Enjoy climbing the rock; the view is excellent!

Spain%2520Trip-031.jpgSpain%2520Trip-045.jpg

Not that it matters much as we only have only sailed on Silversea twice. but, we cancelled our September, 2013 cruise and booked one on Regent. The stories I've heard/read recently about Silversea made us question whether the sailing we had booked would be as good as our previous ones. It is sad as we really enjoyed Silversea:(

A sad state of affairs for all loyal SS clients.Hope the owners act re Betteridge so we can have our SS back as it was prior to her arrival.Mayflower ...hope you are both fit and healthy and that some of our future bookings for 13 and 14 coincide with yours.

President of americas is not the high and mighty position some might think. Responsible for marketing surveys, gift cards and hiring staff in north america. I would not hang her for heavyweight decisions like ships movement/itineraries.

RachaelC and Cashipman, we are on the April crossing as well, continuing to Monte Carlo. I doubt this change will have any tangible impact on us other than some muster drill announcements, etc. While I'm all for flexibility, one of the best parts of cruising is meeting the other guests, and I hope this doesn't change the atmosphere on board.

Travelcat2, we also cancelled a recent Silversea cruise (2012) and will probably cancel our 2013 booking. Nothing booked beyond that. I realize the "new" Silversea still works for many people, and we'll see what happens in the years ahead. But for us, now, Silversea isn't what it used to be and I'm not comfortable paying high fares for an unpredictable experience. We're planning to move our $$$$ over to Crystal.

Travelcat2, we also cancelled a recent Silversea cruise (2012) and will probably cancel our 2013 booking. Nothing booked beyond that. I realize the "new" Silversea still works for many people, and we'll see what happens in the years ahead. But for us, now, Silversea isn't what it used to be and I'm not comfortable paying high fares for an unpredictable experience. We're planning to move our $$$$ over to Crystal.

I'm sorry to hear that Seafairer -- I've been looking forward to meeting you sometime - and perhaps it will happen yet. As of now - I'm sticking. Anxious to experience refurbished Cloud and see old friends on the TA in April. I will be dreadfully disappointed if I am dreadfully disappointed.

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

As of now - I'm sticking. Anxious to experience refurbished Cloud and see old friends on the TA in April. I will be dreadfully disappointed if I am dreadfully disappointed.

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Hoping you report in either way. :)

I'm starting to feel the same way Seafairer. My next trip is on Crystal but after that I've got 25 days on the Wind and I'm starting to get a bit concerned as to where this 6 star cruiseline is heading.

I do not like these short voyages so I'm finding little of interest to me in the SS itineraries.

Cheers

Jennifer

Archived