heritage wharf in bermuda

crabbyjack

A little birdie.

Apparently if it is safe enough for the Breakaway to Dock, then it's safe enough for the Dawn to dock.

The construction crews will have to work on the days when neither ship is in port.

I hope that it's true!!

A little birdie.

Apparently if it is safe enough for the Breakaway to Dock, then it's safe enough for the Dawn to dock.

The construction crews will have to work on the days when neither ship is in port.

That is also great news as they will not be working on it while we are docked. Construction noise can be rally annoying when you are trying to enjoy a drink in your balcony.

That is also great news as they will not be working on it while we are docked. Construction noise can be rally annoying when you are trying to enjoy a drink in your balcony.

Haha - so true! BTW the weather down in Dockyard is terrible right now and it doesn't look good for tomorrow. Weather forecast for tomorrow: A cold front moving in from the northwest will begin to introduce showers and a chance of thunder overnight tonight. As the front moves through it will bring more widespread rain and showers and a chance of thunder through midday Tuesday. As the front then moves off to our east, high pressure will build in from the west bringing mainly fair to fine conditions for the rest of the week.

Webcam http://www.portbermudawebcam.com/

Haha - so true! BTW the weather down in Dockyard is terrible right now and it doesn't look good for tomorrow. Weather forecast for tomorrow: A cold front moving in from the northwest will begin to introduce showers and a chance of thunder overnight tonight. As the front moves through it will bring more widespread rain and showers and a chance of thunder through midday Tuesday. As the front then moves off to our east, high pressure will build in from the west bringing mainly fair to fine conditions for the rest of the week.

Webcam http://www.portbermudawebcam.com/

Hmmmmm, hopefully it won't interfere with the construction.

I just saw the cam, and the tenders are all over the place.

A little birdie.

Since the Dawn is in port from Sunday morning through Tuesday afternoon and the Breakaway is there from Wednesday morning through Friday afternoon, that doesn't leave much time (Friday night, all day Saturday and Tuesday night) for working on the wharf.

I'd like to know how it's safe to dock when they're still pouring concrete for some of the mooring dolphins. Concrete needs time to cure before it can be put under load.

I just want to add to my last post that I hope none of you will be tendering. Hopefully Heritage Wharf will be completed, and you will dock. We made the best of it; at least we had perfect weather.

Couldn't access the Royal Gazette link above, but I found this one below in today's online edition:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130513/NEWS04/705139947

Also found this one at the Bermuda Sun site:

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/Default/Latest-News/Article/Workers--pressing-hard--to-get-Heritage-Wharf-ready-for-Breakaway/-3/1297/66393

The Bermuda Sun also has numerous links to older articles about the wharf.

Since the Dawn is in port from Sunday morning through Tuesday afternoon and the Breakaway is there from Wednesday morning through Friday afternoon, that doesn't leave much time (Friday night, all day Saturday and Tuesday night) for working on the wharf.

I'd like to know how it's safe to dock when they're still pouring concrete for some of the mooring dolphins. Concrete needs time to cure before it can be put under load.

Good question about the moorings, but that's the plan. That want to make show everything is in place for the big show they have in place for Wednesday morning.

You're right it doesn;t leave much time to work, but the articles state they are pouring the central dolphins - not the ends before Wednesday... they'll still need to be filled.

I just want to add to my last post that I hope none of you will be tendering. Hopefully Heritage Wharf will be completed, and you will dock. We made the best of it; at least we had perfect weather.

Yeah I'd MUCH rather have perfect beach weather and tender rather than crappy weather and be docked. Junky weather hands-down makes or breaks a cruise vacation for us, I will admit it.

Hey if you look now there's a great live zoomed shot of the crew working on the north dolphin at Heritage right now. Looks like a very busy group of about 15 to 20 guys...

I guess you know its crunch time when the port webcam is now focused on providing live video coverage of the 11th hour construction work!

more like the apparently-Bermuda-doesn't-want-our-business-that-badly way :rolleyes:
. More likely that this type of overtime and extra large workforce is prohibitively expensive and is only to be done because it HAS to be to get it done in time for tomorrow.

. More likely that this type of overtime and extra large workforce is prohibitively expensive and is only to be done because it HAS to be to get it done in time for tomorrow.

But still, that is their problem. Never should have come down to the wire, and now that it has it is on them 100%, no legitimate excuse no matter how you slice it.

The Breakaway this season will mean over $5 million in taxes to Bermuda!

Exactly, and with that said one would think that they wouldn't have had this thing done a LONG time ago, bureaucracy or not.

Exactly, and with that said one would think that they wouldn't have had this thing done a LONG time ago, bureaucracy or not.

They are spending over $23 million to repair and strengthen the pier to welcome the Breakaway and all her passengers $5 million in taxes is not really that big a deal. This is a small crown colony with only 65,000 people. With the change over in government in December it is not a surprise that this came down to the wire.

She's docked at the pier. Everyone that was worried about tendering can breathe a sigh of relief. We even cleared out the ugly weather (1.27 inches of rain fell here yesterday), just for you ;);

SummitB2_zps07783aab.png

Archived