heritage wharf in bermuda

crabbyjack

Stop a second. Unless I'm missing something, this concerns a FERRY strike (and likely short term);

it has nothing to do with the dock construction - please don't panic the newbies.

Thank you JDarch, Bermuda needs all the tourist they can, they are struggling and all the comments in the newspaper does not help with Tourism, I have moved to this Island a couple of years ago and I see the struggle this Island has... yes Bermuda is not perfect in no way , but what Country is.... Bermuda is an amazing country, so dont let everything you read discourage you from visiting this beautiful Island.... Overall, the new government is doing alot to help with tourism and the tourists....

When we were in Bermuda several years ago I saw what appeared to be a large ferry in a dry dock situation at the dockyard. Isn't there another ferry (the Bermudian I think) with a large passenger capacity in bermuda already? If so is it out of commission or is it usable?

This USA today article of March 13 is pretty clear.

It's only Heritage Wharf, not King's Wharf that is undergoing construction. There are two Wharfs at the Navy Shipyards and one additional Cruise dock in Hamilton.

So check where your ship is scheduled to berth, and whether there are any other ships in port that day - if not your ship can use King's Wharf.

This USA today article of March 13 is pretty clear.

It's only Heritage Wharf, not King's Wharf that is undergoing construction. There are two Wharfs at the Navy Shipyards and one additional Cruise dock in Hamilton.

None of the regular cruise ships can fit into Hamilton, only the smaller occassional luxury lines.

So check where your ship is scheduled to berth, and whether there are any other ships in port that day - if not your ship can use King's Wharf.

Not quite as simple since the schedule is pretty tight. Chances of another ship not being in port the same time are pretty slim.

http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2013%20Cruise%20Ship%20Schedule.pdf

We aren't due into Bermuda until July 28th but I have already looked and I think it was the Summit that is supposed to be at King's Wharf the same three days we are scheduled for Heritage Wharf. I am thinking the construction will be all done by the end of July. If not, there are going to be a lot of passengers on the Breakaway that will not be happy sailors and on the Dawn as well.

We aren't due into Bermuda until July 28th but I have already looked and I think it was the Summit that is supposed to be at King's Wharf the same three days we are scheduled for Heritage Wharf. I am thinking the construction will be all done by the end of July. If not, there are going to be a lot of passengers on the Breakaway that will not be happy sailors and on the Dawn as well.

If it's not done by then, something's seriously gone awry. You should be more than okay.

islegroove,

Knowing that the push is on on the island, is work being done to the Heritage wharf on the weekends? Just wondering. Hopefully the wharf will be done for our May 12 docking. It should be ready because it would only be three more days and the Breakaway will be there.

Anyway tell them to hurry it up and get her done or when we dock at kings wharf the first day we will lock the lines and then the Explorer of the Seas will have to tender the next day. First come... etc. And just to be clear I am NOT suggesting that we pull a"carnival" on them

Does anyone know if they have actually started the work on Heritage Wharf? (islegroove?) I've seen several recent articles referencing the amount of money it's going to cost, what percent of the workforce will be Bermudian, how April and early May cruise ships may have to do some tendering, how supplies had arrived to the island, ..... but I still haven't seen anything that says the construction has begun.

We are on the May 26th sailing of the Breakaway (so in Bermuda May 29th - 31st). I know that Bermuda says it will be finished in time for Breakaway's first arrival on May 15th, but I'm starting to get a little worried. Back in December when people were talking about this, it seemed like there was plenty of time to get it done, but now we're at the end of March and I'm less optimistic. I guess, in addition to when the work begins, the other relevant factor is how long it is expected to take. Have they (Bermuda government or the selected contractor) said?

I've never been to Bermuda but have heard great things and am really looking forward to this trip. Docking and being able to come and go as I please is my preference, but anchoring and tendering would be an ok option too. As long as there isn't an itinerary change that took us to FL/Bahamas, I'll be a happy cruiser!

Does anyone know if they have actually started the work on Heritage Wharf? (islegroove?) I've seen several recent articles referencing the amount of money it's going to cost, what percent of the workforce will be Bermudian, how April and early May cruise ships may have to do some tendering, how supplies had arrived to the island, ..... but I still haven't seen anything that says the construction has begun.

We are on the May 26th sailing of the Breakaway (so in Bermuda May 29th - 31st). I know that Bermuda says it will be finished in time for Breakaway's first arrival on May 15th, but I'm starting to get a little worried. Back in December when people were talking about this, it seemed like there was plenty of time to get it done, but now we're at the end of March and I'm less optimistic. I guess, in addition to when the work begins, the other relevant factor is how long it is expected to take. Have they (Bermuda government or the selected contractor) said?

I've never been to Bermuda but have heard great things and am really looking forward to this trip. Docking and being able to come and go as I please is my preference, but anchoring and tendering would be an ok option too. As long as there isn't an itinerary change that took us to FL/Bahamas, I'll be a happy cruiser!

Tenders may be preferred once the pile driver fires up . The noise from those things are deafening .:eek: Ships tied up at kings Wharf will be rattled all day with the non stop pounding .

Hi, yes they have started work on the wharf :-) I was going to post a photo as I thought a friend of mine had taken one earlier this week but he said he didn't go to Dockyard.

I was down there last weekend and saw the equipment on the dock, but didn't really examine what was going on.

Plus there is this tug on the island supposedly ferrying materials back and forth http://bermudasun.bm/Content/Event-Calendar/Business/Article/Tug-to-help-get-wharf-ready/16/28/64236

Just as a side note - Usually the Bermuda Sun runs a shipping column on Wednesdays that has updates on what is happening (there wasn't one for some reason this week).

Hi, yes they have started work on the wharf :-) I was going to post a photo as I thought a friend of mine had taken one earlier this week but he said he didn't go to Dockyard.

I was down there last weekend and saw the equipment on the dock, but didn't really examine what was going on.

Plus there is this tug on the island supposedly ferrying materials back and forth http://bermudasun.bm/Content/Event-Calendar/Business/Article/Tug-to-help-get-wharf-ready/16/28/64236

Just as a side note - Usually the Bermuda Sun runs a shipping column on Wednesdays that has updates on what is happening (there wasn't one for some reason this week).

Thank you for the update.

Help! My final payment is due within 48 hours and I was wondering if anyone had any updated information. Our sailing date is June 7th on the Dawn. I'm thinking that if we have to tender, the kinks should be worked out by then, right?

Word is that they will be ready for the Breakaway on May 15th. So far the only cruises that are affected are the two first weeks of May for NCL. We are arriving on the July 25th cruise on the Dawn. June 7th gives them a couple more weeks to get the work done. Keep your fingers crossed.

flowers 44,

The April sailing ships that use Heritage Wharf will have to tender but the first two May Dawn sailings are still undecided. The second (May 10) sailing of the Dawn, Kings Wharf will be available for the first (Sunday ) docking but will have to move for the Explorer of the Seas the next day if the Heritage Wharf is not ready. If HW is still not ready then the Dawn would have to tender on the 2nd and 3rd days.

Here's exactly what was reported about the Norwegian Dawn's first two visits in the Bermuda Sun on March 13:

http://bermudasun.bm/Content/Default/Homepage-Article-Rotator/Article/Exclusive_-Cruise-passengers-to-tender/-3/1288/64451

Government says Heritage Wharf will be completed in time for the inaugural trip of the Norwegian Breakaway on May 15.

The spokesman added: “The Department of Marine and Ports is still working with Norwegian Cruise Lines’ agents to finalise berthing and tendering arrangements in the event that Heritage Wharf if not available for the Norwegian Dawn’s visits on May 5th and 12th.

“In the event that the Wharf is not finished, there will still be options for the Dawn to come along side King’s Wharf for parts of her visit once other ships leave.“

The good news is that the Royal Gazette's virtually identical article actually has a photo showing construction in progress. http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130326/NEWS/703269915

Archived