heritage wharf in bermuda

crabbyjack

islegroove, is this just a guess or do you have insider Bermuda information? :) We are going on the Dawn June 7th, so you would think that we have a shot at being okay?

If the government is telling the truth about Heritage Wharf being ready for the Breakaway's arrival on May 15, then your June 7 cruise on the Dawn won't have a problem.

My guess is that islegroove is counting the number of occasions on which both Heritage and Kings Wharves are scheduled to be occupied prior to May 15.

Yes I am not fond of the idea of tendering. We will be on the May 10 sailing of the Dawn to Bermuda. If I am reading the article right the construction on Heritage Wharf will work around the docking of the cruise ships there. I appreciate islegroove's updates and I too will be watching what happens with the docking of the Riviera. When we are scheduled to dock at HW on the 12th of May, Kings Wharf will be free so I think that we could dock there for one day and then will have to move to make way for the EOS which will dock there the next day. At any rate it truely is a wait and see situation but I trust islegroove will keep us posted. Also I if I understand correctly next update after the cruise season to Bermuda is over Kings Wharf will be updated but haven't read about that recently.

If the government is telling the truth about Heritage Wharf being ready for the Breakaway's arrival on May 15, then your June 7 cruise on the Dawn won't have a problem.

My guess is that islegroove is counting the number of occasions on which both Heritage and Kings Wharves are scheduled to be occupied prior to May 15.

What you have to realize is that at this point the government has almost nothing to do with this, now it is in the hands of the construction company. The project was started wayyyyyy late and if you read at comments, most bermudians don't expect it to be finished on time. However, we are staying positive, no other way around that.

What you have to realize is that at this point the government has almost nothing to do with this, now it is in the hands of the construction company. The project was started wayyyyyy late and if you read at comments, most bermudians don't expect it to be finished on time. However, we are staying positive, no other way around that.

I realize the government as little or no control over it at this time, but it is the government that issues the press releases about the status of the project and it is the government that has had conversations with the cruise lines about contingency plans (tendering passengers) in the event the project is not completed on time. The government is saying the project will be complete by May 15, so they are admitting it won't be ready in time for the early season instances of when both Heritage Wharf and Kings Wharf are scheduled to be occupied, and there's no way to ignore that reality.

I realize the government as little or no control over it at this time, but it is the government that issues the press releases about the status of the project and it is the government that has had conversations with the cruise lines about contingency plans (tendering passengers) in the event the project is not completed on time. The government is saying the project will be complete by May 15, so they are admitting it won't be ready in time for the early season instances of when both Heritage Wharf and Kings Wharf are scheduled to be occupied, and there's no way to ignore that reality.

Yup, I think the big deal here is Breakaway, they must be betting everything they have to clear that first schedule cruise. My friend is going at the end of december and he knows that he will have to tender. Hopefully they clear that May 15 deadline.

Correct... according to Government's cruise ship schedule there are six visits (which is on the government website). Four tenders, one cancellation as of today.

I don't see mention of Emerald Princess. We are to be there on April 29, our itinerary only says "West End." Can we hope to dock?

I don't see your ship on the port schedule: http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2013%20Cruise%20Ship%20Schedule%20Dec%2018.pdf

Of course it could have accidentally been omitted.

If you are there on April 29 you may have to tender in because Explorer of the Seas will be docked at Kings Wharf.

I don't see your ship on the port schedule: http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2013%20Cruise%20Ship%20Schedule%20Dec%2018.pdf

Of course it could have accidentally been omitted.

If you are there on April 29 you may have to tender in because Explorer of the Seas will be docked at Kings Wharf.

The Princess has cancelled its trip: http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Emerald-Princess-cancels-Bermuda-visit/24/270/64478

Thanks, I was just on the Princess board and saw this notice posted. Oh well, we love sea days, but some folks may be stir crazy by the time we get to Cobh, Ireland. Maybe we'll route more south and drop in on the Azores. So glad I was on Bermuda some years ago.

"The cancellation is a big blow to the island's economy that will now miss out on hundreds of thousands of dollars in fees, taxes and passenger expenses."

Maybe that will get the Bermudians to get the work done in time before any more of these happen. That is just refering to a one day cancellation. Imagine if NCL backed out for a few cruises.

I was just thinking....does the island still get the same amount of fees and taxes if the boat drops anchor rather than actually docking? Njhorseman probably knows!

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/Default/Homepage-Article-Rotator/Article/Emerald-Princess-cancels-Bermuda-visit--Update-1-/-3/1288/64478

The Bermuda Government put out a press release this afternoon.

Government responds

The Department of Marine and Ports can confirm that the Emerald Princess has cancelled their April 29th visit to Bermuda. The Department can confirm that the four cruise visits expected to be impacted by the works at Heritage Wharf are still on schedule. These include the Riviera, scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, April 11, which will anchor at Grassy Bay with passengers tendered to Dockyard. The MSC Poesia, scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, April 16, will arrive at 1pm, anchor in the Great Sound and disembark passengers to Dockyard. She will then dock at Kings Wharf at 5pm after the Explorer of the Seas leaves. She will overnight and leave on the April 18th as scheduled. It is anticipated that the tendering impact will be minimal and only be one way. The Department of Marine and Ports is still working with Norwegian Cruise Lines’ agents to finalise berthing and tendering arrangements in the event that Heritage Wharf if not available for the Norwegian Dawn’s visits on May 5th and 12th. In the event that the Wharf is not finished, there will still be options for the Dawn to come along side King’s Wharf for parts of her visit once other ships leave.

A spokesman said: “We have tendered many times in the past, including NCL ships, and while it is not our first option, we have handled it successfully. It should also be pointed out that tendering is fairly common in the cruise industry in other jurisdictions. We have coordinated the tendering procedures with the cruise lines and they are satisfied that we will provide a quality experience for their guests.”

IMHO, I wouldn't base your opinion of "most Bermudians" on the rants in their comment sections. After following the Bermie papers over time, I've found their comment sections are like those found on the U.S. news sites: they add little accurate info, but lots of whining, bitching, and irrelevant political arguments. Jes' sayin'...

IMHO, I wouldn't base your opinion of "most Bermudians" on the rants in their comment sections. After following the Bermie papers over time, I've found their comment sections are like those found on the U.S. news sites: they add little accurate info, but lots of whining, bitching, and irrelevant political arguments. Jes' sayin'...

Unfortunately, that is so true.

Hi Gene, they are working on it. There is a push to get it done.

Unfortunately, today, union members in the Marine and Ports Department have downed tools because they are bringing in a boat to help tender passengers.

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/Default/Homepage-Article-Rotator/Article/Ferries-stopped-for-union-meeting/-3/1288/64501

The Department of Marine and Ports can confirm that the Emerald Princess has cancelled their April 29th visit to Bermuda. The Department can confirm that the four cruise visits expected to be impacted by the works at Heritage Wharf are still on schedule. These include the Riviera, scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, April 11, which will anchor at Grassy Bay with passengers tendered to Dockyard. The MSC Poesia, scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, April 16, will arrive at 1pm, anchor in the Great Sound and disembark passengers to Dockyard. She will then dock at Kings Wharf at 5pm after the Explorer of the Seas leaves. She will overnight and leave on the April 18th as scheduled. It is anticipated that the tendering impact will be minimal and only be one way. The Department of Marine and Ports is still working with Norwegian Cruise Lines’ agents to finalise berthing and tendering arrangements in the event that Heritage Wharf if not available for the Norwegian Dawn’s visits on May 5th and 12th. In the event that the Wharf is not finished, there will still be options for the Dawn to come along side King’s Wharf for parts of her visit once other ships leave.

A spokesman said: “We have tendered many times in the past, including NCL ships, and while it is not our first option, we have handled it successfully. It should also be pointed out that tendering is fairly common in the cruise industry in other jurisdictions. We have coordinated the tendering procedures with the cruise lines and they are satisfied that we will provide a quality experience for their guests.”

Hi Gene, they are working on it. There is a push to get it done.

Unfortunately, today, union members in the Marine and Ports Department have downed tools because they are bringing in a boat to help tender passengers.

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/Default/Homepage-Article-Rotator/Article/Ferries-stopped-for-union-meeting/-3/1288/64501

According to the article, the issue is about the boat they're leasing to provide the dedicated Dockyard - St. George's ferry service during the cruise season. It's a separate issue from the Heritage Wharf construction project and the need to tender passengers from ships that will not be able to dock until construction is completed.

Here's another article from the Royal Gazette. http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130314/NEWS/703149911

According to the article, the issue is about the boat they're leasing to provide the dedicated Dockyard - St. George's ferry service during the cruise season. It's a separate issue from the Heritage Wharf construction project and the need to tender passengers from ships that will not be able to dock until construction is completed.

Here's another article from the Royal Gazette. http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130314/NEWS/703149911

If it's not one thing, it's another. I know there are supposed to be 10 more buses for Dockyard with the extra passengers on the Breakaway to help alleviate the congestion.

Stop a second. Unless I'm missing something, this concerns a FERRY strike (and likely short term);

it has nothing to do with the dock construction - please don't panic the newbies.

Archived