heritage wharf in bermuda

crabbyjack

Any news of the Heritage Wharf progress is good news. Seems as though the Government has recognized the importance of "gettin er done"! I go to the two papers web site every day and didn't see these articles earlier today. Thanks for the updates.

"[Mr. Burgess] said under the PLP government Bermudians and Bermudian equipment were used to complete the Heritage Wharf project..."

Considering the questionable quality, and HUGE cost over-run the first project had, this guy has alot of brass!

SbtS...I saw on another thread that you said the Dawn (if tendered) would definately tender into Dockyard. How do you know that this is the case? I thought I have read of the Dawn tendering into Hamilton at times when having to anchor at sea. I was just wondering if you had some concrete information that alluded to that fact or if it was merely a guess.

Thanks as always!

SbtS...I saw on another thread that you said the Dawn (if tendered) would definately tender into Dockyard. How do you know that this is the case? I thought I have read of the Dawn tendering into Hamilton at times when having to anchor at sea. I was just wondering if you had some concrete information that alluded to that fact or if it was merely a guess.

Thanks as always!

I though I had read it in one of the news articles; now I'll have to re-read all the Heritage Wharf articles to find the blurb, thanks :rolleyes:. Maybe, I was the only one that read it.

SBtS

I though I had read it in one of the news articles; now I'll have to re-read all the Heritage Wharf articles to find the blurb, thanks :rolleyes:. Maybe, I was the only one that read it.

SBtS

I think I saw that too. I was thinking where in dockyard tenders would tie up ?? In Hamilton there was room on the wall for multiple lifeboats Plus the Bermudian.

I haven't seen anything more recent than what I cited in post #172, which said they were still working with NCL on tendering arrangements for the Dawn should Heritage Wharf not be ready for its first two visits. I haven't seen anything specific about what those arrangements might be. They did say that the Dawn could tie up at Kings Wharf on days when it was not being used by other ships.

I know njhorseman would post immediately when there is an update, but I was wondering if anyone had any updates? It has been a while since I heard anything about the wharf?

There was a picture published with a Royal Gazette article a few days ago that shows construction work under way, but none of the press sources have published any updates on the progress of the work. Perhaps one of our posters from Bermuda can add some insight. My guess is we're not going to hear anything substantive from the government until the project gets close to completion, or unless it becomes obvious the May 15 deadline isn't going to be met.

I sent an email to the Bermuda Sun to the effect that it would be great if they had a weekly columnist to cover the progress and the events at the Dockyard and even suggested a dockyard cam would be great. Never heard back! Someone on Bermuda should lobby for the job! I've been under the impression that tourism is important and with a new government hoping that was going to happen.

The Ministry of Public Works continues to say that the Norwegian Breakaway will be able to dock at Heritage Wharf on its maiden voyage to Bermuda...BUT...read this article carefully, because they admit that there will still be additional work being done on the wharf for some time thereafter:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130407/NEWS/704079999

...It is intended that the all piling works be completed prior to the arrival of the ship. However the public should expect to see further works continuing after this date as the dock is further upgraded for progressively higher design wind speeds.

“By midseason we will have a structure that will be competent for moored vessels in wind speeds of a sustained 45 knots. To reach this level of strength we need to complete concreting works to two additional mooring dolphin structures, one to the north and one to the south of the main dock,” the Minister said. “These structures also allow clean unobstructed lines for the mooring ropes of the larger vessels. In addition we will be installing important safety upgrades to the dock, providing deck furniture in the form of safety railings and ladder access to the water for recovery of persons in the event of any accidents.”...

The Ministry of Public Works continues to say that the Norwegian Breakaway will be able to dock at Heritage Wharf on its maiden voyage to Bermuda...BUT...read this article carefully, because they admit that there will still be additional work being done on the wharf for some time thereafter:

"...It is intended that the all piling works be completed prior to the arrival of the ship. However the public should expect to see further works continuing after this date as the dock is further upgraded for progressively higher design wind speeds.

“By midseason we will have a structure that will be competent for moored vessels in wind speeds of a sustained 45 knots. To reach this level of strength we need to complete concreting works to two additional mooring dolphin structures, one to the north and one to the south of the main dock,” the Minister said”...

...BUT... after all is said and done, they're saying it will be ready for the Breakaway's arrival.

What - are you an ousted PLP member? ;)

...BUT... after all is said and done, they're saying it will be ready for the Breakaway's arrival.

What - are you an ousted PLP member? ;)

LOL...they have a funny definition of "ready"...apparently it means "ready but not really finished and strong enough to secure the ship in high winds".

I do not know if this helps but I just got my e docs for June 7th-June 14th 2013 and it states we are going to Kings Warf not Heritage Warf.

If you're on NCL, your edocs are wrong...as is everything published by NCL about their docking location in Bermuda. NCL ships have docked at Heritage Wharf since it opened several years ago,

There is a person called Radio on the Explorer of the Seas now docked in Bermuda that you might want to follow. I will link here but he does a live review while he is on board and his pictures are really well done esp the docking of the EOS and progress on Heritage Wharf. You will have to go to page 12 or 13 to see the HW

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1822384&page=14

or you could go to the Royal Caribbean area on the CC boards and look for Live from Explorer of the Seas by Radio.

link here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1822384

• 2 weeks later...
If you're on NCL, your edocs are wrong...as is everything published by NCL about their docking location in Bermuda. NCL ships have docked at Heritage Wharf since it opened several years ago,

Just printed my edocs and it also says Kings Wharf for May 17th Boston to Bermuda. This is my 4th time first we went to St. George and the rest Heritage Wharf. Guess I never looked too close to them in the past. Just glad to be there! Any more word on repairs?

Just printed my edocs and it also says Kings Wharf for May 17th Boston to Bermuda. This is my 4th time first we went to St. George and the rest Heritage Wharf. Guess I never looked too close to them in the past. Just glad to be there! Any more word on repairs?

They're working on Heritage Wharf. If you believe their promise that the Breakaway will be able to dock there on May 15, then your cruise will be able to dock. However, the government finally admitted that there will be additional construction taking place at Heritage Wharf for some time after May 15, so there may be some additional noise and disruption caused by the construction while you're docked.

They're working on Heritage Wharf. If you believe their promise that the Breakaway will be able to dock there on May 15, then your cruise will be able to dock. However, the government finally admitted that there will be additional construction taking place at Heritage Wharf for some time after May 15, so there may be some additional noise and disruption caused by the construction while you're docked.

I am not sure if that is good or bad, I guess it is good that would get to dock. But I have docked near construction in Jamaica and it is not a pretty sight at all with all the noise and such. Being docked next to a loud environment for 3 days would be less than ideal. Lets hope that the noise will be minimal.

NCL, please let us know the docking status of the Dawn for May 3 and May 10. We understand that the Breakaway docking is of great importance, but we feel our cruise is important as well. We leave next Friday for Bermuda.We are only asking that passengers be informed. Thank you.

this link has the first two Dawn visits in May anchoring in Grassy Point.

http://www.marineandports.bm/

I do know that the 2nd sailing of the Dawn that Kings Wharf will be available to dock for one day before the Explorer of the Seas comes the next day. I sure would like to hear and see (on the dockyard cam) the piles being driven this week but I guess the weather isn't cooperating.

Archived