Saint Petersburg: Maps , pictures and information.

Yes , we sure did . We hope to fly again this year on Victory Day . We made a mistake last time when we tried to fly on this helicopter - A police one !

Hi scubacruiser,

I'll be visiting again in August/September - will fly in again (make the most of my visa while it is still valid). When are you planning on visiting again? Still so much to see. :) Actually, I am treating my niece to a Baltic cruise for her birthday (June) but we will only be in St. Pete for 3 days from the cruise ship & my niece will not have a visa. So, actually, I will enter Russia twice in 2015. :D

Definitely want to experience the helicopter (Sept)- view the city from an entirely different perspective. No reservations are needed? Just show up on either Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks!

Edited by dogs4fun

Hi scubacruiser,

I'll be visiting again in August/September - will fly in again (make the most of my visa while it is still valid). When are you planning on visiting again? Still so much to see. :) Actually, I am treating my niece to a Baltic cruise for her birthday (June) but we will only be in St. Pete for 3 days from the cruise ship & my niece will not have a visa. So, actually, I will enter Russia twice in 2015. :D

Definitely want to experience the helicopter (Sept)- view the city from an entirely different perspective. No reservations are needed? Just show up on either Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks!

Two trips that sounds great dogs4fun ! We hope to fly on Victory Day this year . Yes , you just show up and make sure that you bring your passport and 3000 R . They usually begin flying after noon ( after the cannon fires ) . Here's a map of the flight route .

fbd6f3b4-a472-464e-bf3c-3fb00e66f971_zpsu9lu2hhg.jpg

And a link with information and a phone number .

http://www.baltairlines.ru/en/pages/72/

If you haven't seen the other videos yet , here's :

Part 2 - Liftoff and circle the fortress .

Part 3 - Smolny , Palace Square , Hermitage and St. Isaac's Cathedral .

Part 4 - Rostral Columns , Neva River and landing at the fortress .

Two trips that sounds great dogs4fun ! We hope to fly on Victory Day this year . Yes , you just show up and make sure that you bring your passport and 3000 R . They usually begin flying after noon ( after the cannon fires ) . Here's a map of the flight route .

fbd6f3b4-a472-464e-bf3c-3fb00e66f971_zpsu9lu2hhg.jpg

And a link with information and a phone number .

http://www.baltairlines.ru/en/pages/72/

If you haven't seen the other videos yet , here's :

Part 2 - Liftoff and circle the fortress .

Part 3 - Smolny , Palace Square , Hermitage and St. Isaac's Cathedral .

Part 4 - Rostral Columns , Neva River and landing at the fortress .

Thanks! :)

Hey Scuba...x2,

I just read all 14 pages of this thread, and it brought back a few memories from my trip last year. And it makes me wonder what I missed. We went last year on Legend of the seas in June. We picked a 3 day/2 night SPB as our target ship for our Baltic cruise. We were celebrating our 30th so we went all out and did a 52 day voyage of most of Northern Europe. I would like to suggest for anyone doing an open jaw to include a free stop over in Iceland. It is so nice to go to a country where they put the bankers who screwed up the world into jail. But I digress, we spent a few days in CPH before ship left. Some how I had found that DenRus was the tour group to choose, so we did. There was an Italian couple who lived by the last minute to do things, and ended up with an excursion from the ship. At the end they walked around the city, they were able to leave the excursion. Our tour vehicle was a 15 passenger van with 4 couples. A British couple and 3 from Canada. Since we liked the folkloric dance on board we booked through the ship a similar product in the town. Well we had a 24 voice mens choir (Russian Army) and a 24 person dance troop and a 12 pc musical support. WOW, I guess white nights is a good time to be in SPB. As for vest in Hermitage, I had a Scott E-vest on with many pockets. So my wife and I rolled up our weather shells and stuffed them in the back pocket. I think that the tour groups pay the extra for sticker that says we CAN take photos any where. We did get to the Faberge egg display, but were not able/allowed to take any photos. It was a diff type of security, as it was big men in all corners watching for any camera movement. As opposed to every where else was elderly women. BTW, one of the guy's camera was "accidentally" beeping* and shooting in the Topaz room. :-)

Thanks for the memories,

B

PS sometimes shore excursions are not the worst. Just back from 38 day trip to Oz. Left 2 weeks after breaking ankle, and shore excursions were about the max I could do.

*camera beeps when in focus

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Scuba...x2,

I just read all 14 pages of this thread, and it brought back a few memories from my trip last year. And it makes me wonder what I missed. We went last year on Legend of the seas in June. We picked a 3 day/2 night SPB as our target ship for our Baltic cruise. We were celebrating our 30th so we went all out and did a 52 day voyage of most of Northern Europe. I would like to suggest for anyone doing an open jaw to include a free stop over in Iceland. It is so nice to go to a country where they put the bankers who screwed up the world into jail. But I digress, we spent a few days in CPH before ship left. Some how I had found that DenRus was the tour group to choose, so we did. There was an Italian couple who lived by the last minute to do things, and ended up with an excursion from the ship. At the end they walked around the city, they were able to leave the excursion. Our tour vehicle was a 15 passenger van with 4 couples. A British couple and 3 from Canada. Since we liked the folkloric dance on board we booked through the ship a similar product in the town. Well we had a 24 voice mens choir (Russian Army) and a 24 person dance troop and a 12 pc musical support. WOW, I guess white nights is a good time to be in SPB. As for vest in Hermitage, I had a Scott E-vest on with many pockets. So my wife and I rolled up our weather shells and stuffed them in the back pocket. I think that the tour groups pay the extra for sticker that says we CAN take photos any where. We did get to the Faberge egg display, but were not able/allowed to take any photos. It was a diff type of security, as it was big men in all corners watching for any camera movement. As opposed to every where else was elderly women. BTW, one of the guy's camera was "accidentally" beeping* and shooting in the Topaz room. :-)

Thanks for the memories,

B

PS sometimes shore excursions are not the worst. Just back from 38 day trip to Oz. Left 2 weeks after breaking ankle, and shore excursions were about the max I could do.

*camera beeps when in focus

We're glad that you enjoyed your visit to St. Petersburg - It's one of our favorite ports (cities ) . There's a lot to see and do there and some new things also like the Faberge Museum .

• 2 weeks later...

When visiting St. Petersburg , you may want to try some ethnic food . One of our favorites is Kilikia , and it features great Armenian food at a cheap price .

Kamatz Matzoun (yogurt meatballs) - delish

b10c78d3-aad9-4fe4-a6bb-499f189b9aa3_zps62pvip4e.jpg

Kharcho - Georgian lamb soup

ec581aa0-e304-42bc-aaf2-59293295dc63_zpss7btq8zo.jpg

Greek Salad

6f5f661c-1c8a-44b8-882a-5593dd83901b_zpscxuyodhx.jpg

Chicken Kabobs with wild rice

9a522f98-4594-4d40-957f-daff73254977_zpso6rxbqed.jpg

Three Bears beer

e8ad296a-adc3-4333-bb08-24258a99aaf9_zpsj3nskoof.jpg

Here's a link to their menu , in English , with pictures . :)

http://kilikia.spb.ru/menyu

• 2 weeks later...

I have just spent the better part of 3 hours on your thread! What a treasure trove you've provided us! I will be going back to St Petersburg this July and was looking for some new and exciting things to do this time and you've given me lots of ideas! Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures and bringing back some very fond memories from our last trip!

• 2 weeks later...
I have just spent the better part of 3 hours on your thread! What a treasure trove you've provided us! I will be going back to St Petersburg this July and was looking for some new and exciting things to do this time and you've given me lots of ideas! Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures and bringing back some very fond memories from our last trip!

Thanks bronwen , we're glad to be of some help ! We have just completed a TA and are scheduled to fly into St.Pete tomorrow for Victory Day on Saturday . We will be testing the waters , so to speak , to see how things are . We will try to answer any questions that people may have - when we're not out taking photos . And a full report when we return ! :) :D

Thank you so very much for all the photos. We are going in May 2016, for St. Petersburg we plan on the 2 day Princess shore excursion. If time permits maybe the Ballet in the evening but will so much to do & see may be just worn out.

Loved this review again thanks, Laura

Hi Scuba,

Just found your thread of St. P.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. We will be going in July and I have been agonizing on how to best spend the time.

We will be on a cruise and can't do a DIY, at least not this first time.

We have hired a private car for the day...we have more than a day, but want to use the private car to best advantage.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thank you so very much for all the photos. We are going in May 2016, for St. Petersburg we plan on the 2 day Princess shore excursion. If time permits maybe the Ballet in the evening but will so much to do & see may be just worn out.

Loved this review again thanks, Laura

Sounds great ! Yes , you will probably be worn out , but you'll remember it forever ! We are tired every night but having a great time here in St. Pete making memories , so - we'll sleep later ! ;)

We will be in StP 3 weeks from today and I am enjoying this thread. I hope scubacruiser gets back on here before we go. I love his pictures and reviews.

Thanks Teabag , we just got our internet working here in St. Pete and we 've been really busy touring DIY mostly . Early train to Moscow tomorrow , so we're getting ready for bed here . Back to St. Pete after midnight on Sunday , but we'll be glad to answer questions - when we have signal . Readers may like to look at our thread about Moscow found here :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1927687

Hi Scuba,

Just found your thread of St. P.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. We will be going in July and I have been agonizing on how to best spend the time.

We will be on a cruise and can't do a DIY, at least not this first time.

We have hired a private car for the day...we have more than a day, but want to use the private car to best advantage.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thanks Spinnaker . Most people prefer to maximize their time on their first visit by using a private tour . For us - smaller is better . Better interactions , maximum flexibility and choice of sites . The new superstar for us in St. Pete, so far has been the Faberge Museum . No need to go to Moscow to see Imperial Easter Eggs and a massive collection of all things Faberge . We went after 6 PM so we didn't have to pay the extra $ 250 for the mandatory English guide that is usually charged , during the day time . Our audio guide cost just $ 5 and the museum was almost deserted , allowing us maximum freedom and privacy . :) :D

• 2 weeks later...
We're back from an amazing 12 day stay in St. Petersburg and Moscow . Wow how some things have changed ! ;)

For the better I hope! We are getting very excited for our visit. Looking forward to your updates.

For the better I hope! We are getting very excited for our visit. Looking forward to your updates.

Yeah , mostly for the good ! We always get excited when we go there . Have you set an itinerary yet ? The time there goes very fast so plan well and enjoy !

8afa69a1-c736-469d-9966-4fa9b7544b29_zpsqymgnowd.jpg

• 1 year later...

014a0bca-3ab9-419a-8842-06be5fd65b6d_zpszlpflqjn.jpg

St. Issac's Cathedral was in the news this week when a protest erupted there . Hundreds of people were protesting the transfer of ownership from being a government museum to becoming a Russian Orthodox Church . The story below is from TASS .

st%20issacs_zpsuz4thuoc.jpg

Hundreds Protest Giving St. Isaac Cathedral To Russian Orthodox Church

January 14, 2017

Protest against the transfer of the St. Isaac's Cathedral to the Russian Orthodox Church in St. Petersburg.

Protest against the transfer of the St. Isaac's Cathedral to the Russian Orthodox Church in St. Petersburg.

Print

Several hundred people rallied outside a St. Petersburg landmark cathedral on January 13 to protest plans to give it to the Russian Orthodox Church.

The local governor this week announced the city was transferring the iconic St. Isaac's Cathedral to the Orthodox Church, sparking a rash of protests in the former imperial city.

Protesters flocked to Isaakiyevskaya Square near St. Isaac's to protest the move on the evening of January 13. The cathedral is a UNESCO World Heritage site and has been an important museum since Russia's 1917 Bolshevik Revolution. More than 3.5 million tourists visit it every year.

"The Church should know its place!" one placard read.

Police confiscated one poster but did not otherwise block the protest.

TASS reported that activists have gathered as many as 160,000 signatures on a petition to revoke the local government's decision to give away the cathedral.

The signatures include people from Moscow, Yekaterinburg, and Krasnodar as well as St. Petersburg, TASS said.

The church takeover of the landmark is part of a growing trend toward social conservatism in Russia. President Vladimir Putin has appealed to traditional values and urged citizens to eschew Western liberalism.

Based on reporting by AP and TASS

8cc26aad-520d-430c-a004-caf618db51a8_zpsxkxcuqb5.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Wow - I had no idea. I wonder if this will impact visits to St. Isaac's in the near future & whether or not services will be held in the cathedral on a regular basis. How about climbing up to the colonnade - wonder if we will still be able to do that?

There is also story on the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/13/plan-to-hand-control-of-st-petersburg-cathedral-to-church-sparks-outcry

Edited by dogs4fun

The cathedral was always owned by the church until the revolution and most churches and cathedrals have been returned to the church over many years. Kazan Cathedral for example had been returned years ago. St Isaac was expected eventually to return to the church, and had been delayed by the old governor and the current governor delayed it once but suddenly decided to return it. Kazan is still open to the public but few visitors even know they can just walk in without paying for a ticket. The big question is how would the church handle the demand from visitors,their other cathedrals are seldom visited by tourists. A protest might work however, although it DOES belong to the church based on policies in place long before the current administration.

Several years ago, the Gazprom natural gas company,one of the largest companies in Russia got permits to build a gigantic tower office building across the Neva River from Smolny Convent which sparked protests. The company spent many millions of dollars on site preparation and had major political clout. The protests including petitions and eventually the historical preservation organizations and citizen groups won, and Gazprom gave up and are building one across the river from the Marine Facade cruise ship terminals. It is all by itself and looks huge from a distance.

So there is a good chance that non-religious will protest and eventually win out. If the church receives their cathedral back, how it would handle visitors would be a problem they would have to work out. As with Kazan Cathedral, St Isaac would probably only be used on special religious events so would be open to the public as often or more than now.

The other church that is in discussions is not so clear cut, Church on Spilled Blood. That was never really a church until relatively recently, being built as a memorial fully funded by the royal family. Services where held there until closed in the 30s due to falling in to disrepair. After the war it was restored, a process that took over 27 years but was never consecrated as a church. It is administered by St Isaac Cathedral museum admin. If that one is transferred to the church, they might run into legal battles because it never belonged to the Orthodox Church. A major protest would be mounted if the governor gave it away.

People will still be able to see churches that are working churches but there would be a dress code, no shorts and women would need a scarf. Many such churches offer a wrap to cover shorts as visitors would walk in. You can visit hundreds churches for free in St Petersburg, some have very pleasant choirs and they have the unique bell ringing patterns that signal messages to the parishioners. The St Isaac Cathedral Colonnade would probably not be open however which would mean the great view access would be restricted. There are about 300 narrow steps to reach the first level so it not recommended for general tourists anyway. Every year a few tourists have heart attacks when climbing, not realising it is a quite strenuous climb.

There are a lot of questions unanswered. The cathedral does have services now. The church taking over will change a lot. They announced the staff of 400 will be reduced to 40 which means it can't be kept in as good of condition and the continuous restoration processes will end. If the church follows with their tradition with other returned churches non-Orthodox will be allowed in and there will be no charge. That is fine in the winter but in summer 8000 or more people a day visit, most of those on organized tours with prearranged entry times, led by guides who passed exams conducted by the museum.

Without qualified guides or licenses the experience will be much different. The other cathedrals which are open to the public free have very few visitors because there is little information provided and in those that have posters with information it is solely information related to Orthodoxy and not the history, architecture and art contained. If 8000 or more a day try to enter, typical for a summer day, the church really will have to limit access since there will be no organized groups or coordinated entry times.

Kazan Cathedral is right on the main street and passed by thousands of people per hour in the summer but very few enter, most never learn they can enter since it is not publicized by the church.

There is still discussions regarding Church in Spilled Blood returning to the Church but there is much less validity to the claim since it was only part of the church for a limited period of its history. It was a private memorial paid for by the Tsar's family.

As it is, few attend services in St Isaac because few people live in the neighborhood and for the fact that more churches are open than worshipers. A lot of people are members of the church but not many attend any services, mostly elderly and they attend in residential neighborhoods. The city center has a large number of churches but the outlying residential districts have few churches, where most people live.

As it sits now, I would guess that only small private tours would offer St Isaac Cathedral and not larger group tours from the ship contractor. For cruise passengers, Church on Spilled Blood is the higher priority and most requested. If that one returns to the church, there will be more disruption in tours. Both of those are high maintenance locations so they are likely to not be maintained as well as they are now with restoration experts on staff.

• 2 months later...
Do you have any new information about this? As far as I understand St.Isaak Cathedral has been transferred after all, but I have had a look at some of the tours offered and St.Isaak still is listed in some of the itineraries.

Here is the most recent story :

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/referendum-proposed-over-st-isaacs-cathedral-57562

• 4 months later...

We will be returning to St Petersburg in 2018. I am looking at alternative Excursions, as we did the SPB 2day De luxe tour in 2015.

I have found information about a Celebrity half day tour to Pushkin, but am confused, as I think this is the Tsar's village and I am sure last time when we visited St Catherine's Palace we were told it was at the Tsar's village, but no nention was made of Pushkin. I don't really want to repeat anything we saw last time ( St Catherine's Palace)

Also, I would like to go to the Fabage Museum, but cannot find a short tour that includes this, except for an evening tour which is available to SPB customers.

Also, looking at the SPB site, I notice that nothing is yet available for next year. When will the tours be published?

Edited by upwarduk

Joe,

I have re read the whole thread and think I may use one of the tour companies listed. Unfortunately some of the links are broken e.g. Sputnik - no longer maybe? I wondered if it is possible to get a tour of Pushkin which features Alexandra Palace?

For our first visit to St. P about 10 years ago, I arranged a customized itinerary with Red October for 6 of us that included the Alexandra Palace, which we enjoyed. It's more of a hunting lodge, but very interesting.

Last year for our return to St. P, I also customized an itinerary for 6--with TJ Travel (as Red October seems to be under new mgmt. and unresponsive)--that included the new Faberge Museum, which is great. TJ was wonderful to work with and to tour with!

Best,

Mary-Lou