Christmas Sailings

Northshorecruisers

I was just on HAL's site looking at sailings over Christmas. Many of them have ports on Dec 25th. Will anything be open/tours etc or will it basically just be the waste of a port?

I think it depends on the port and what you are looking to do. Certainly you can enjoy a beach day, go hiking, boating or snorkeling. Buildings and shops may close but nature is always open!

The Westerdam was in Grand Turk on Christmas Day this year.

Half of my party went on an excellent SCUBA excursion through HAL with a local dive shop. The other half of my party spent the day at Margaritaville, just at the end of the pier.

It may depend on where you go, but it's very possible that things will be open. Just call HAL and ask. That's what I did.

We have cruise on several Christmas cruises where we stop in a port that day and was totally surprise how many things were open. Hey if they want to make the money, they will be open. Lots of these place depend in a big way on cruise ship passengers spending money in their towns.

We are look too and I was just wondering if HAL does anything special for passengers over Christmas or New Years. I don't mean decorations or dinners, but if kids are on board will Club Hal or the line do anything out of the ordinary?

Sorry to ask here but didn't want to post another Christmas thread so soon after the season and people may be fed up with it. We missed Christmas this (last) year because my mum died Dec. 21 so we are looking for something extra special this year.

When we were in Grenada on Christmas Day, the ship still had excursions available. There were a few vendors open in the market area but lots of closed booths. On another cruise, we were in the Panama Canal on Christmas Day. All of the ship's regular excursions were available. They do not allow passengers who were not on the ship's excursions to get off the ship.

I would prefer to be at Sea on Christmas Day and if In port I think I would stay and enjoy the ameninties of the Ship. I certainly would not shop on Christmas. Right now I cannot get away on Christmas but my time will be a little more free when I retire in June.

We are look too and I was just wondering if HAL does anything special for passengers over Christmas or New Years. I don't mean decorations or dinners, but if kids are on board will Club Hal or the line do anything out of the ordinary?

We have been at HMC on Christmas when Santa parasailed onto the ship and handed out presents to the children. He then spent some time on the beach.

I'm sure we've been on another Christmas cruise when Santa visited; it wasn't as dramatic as when we were at HMC, but the bridge tracks his route and announces his arrival in the theater or other location so people can see him.

It's all very fun and festive. We don't have kids and enjoy Christmas cruises anyway!

The Westerdam was in Grand Turk on Christmas Day this year.

Half of my party went on an excellent SCUBA excursion through HAL with a local dive shop. The other half of my party spent the day at Margaritaville, just at the end of the pier.

It may depend on where you go, but it's very possible that things will be open. Just call HAL and ask. That's what I did.

This past Holiday Season, Eurodam was in Grand Turk on Dec. 24th, San Juan on Dec. 25th and Grand Cayman on Jan. 1st. Shore Excursions were offered for each of these ports and there were some local stores open.:rolleyes:

Prinsendam was also in San Juan on Christmas Day docked opposite Eurodam. New Year's Day, Eurodam was 1 of 4 ships that was anchored in Grand Cayman.

We have sailed on many Holiday Cruises and holidays were always sea days, however, this does seem to be changing.:confused: Maybe this is being offered as an option for those passengers who do not celebrate these holidays?

We have sailed on many Holiday Cruises and holidays were always sea days, however, this does seem to be changing.:confused: Maybe this is being offered as an option for those passengers who do not celebrate these holidays?

At the same time, though, it puts the local residents in the difficult position of enjoying their holiday or working. Not a choice most of us would want to make.

If the holiday were left a sea day, and the port visited some other time, the natives could have both a time of their own to celebrate AND a chance to make a living. Passengers would have the same amount of port time.

At the same time, though, it puts the local residents in the difficult position of enjoying their holiday or working. Not a choice most of us would want to make.

If the holiday were left a sea day, and the port visited some other time, the natives could have both a time of their own to celebrate AND a chance to make a living. Passengers would have the same amount of port time.

I totally agree with all of your points!

We didn't get off the ship in San Juan or Grand Cayman. We have been to San Juan dozens of times and were well aware that many places would be closed. Since we were tendering in Grand Cayman and it was New Year's Day, we decided to skip the island--but again, we have been here many times so it was not a difficult decision for us.

And New Year's Eve was a sea day--I can remember being in many a port on New Year's Eve but then having a sea day on New Year's Day.

Archived