Summit Review - 1/12/2013 Sailing

The Flying Pirate

Hopefully you have enjoyed the review and the pictures. I do have the Celebrity Today Newspapers from the cruise. I know some people enjoy reading them. If there is interest I can scan and post them.

All told in 7 days the Summit cruised 1147 Nautical Miles and visited 5 ports of call. It was a busy week, if I had any complaints it was that the ship made too many stops. But each of the ports were excellent I would have a hard time choosing which one to skip!

We enjoyed the Summit. Each trip is a bit of an adventure, and that adds to the experience. If anyone has questions I will be happy to try and answer them.

Great review- thanks so much for sharing it!

We sailed on the Summit before her refit, and we're booked on her again this summer to Bermuda, and your detailed review just brought back so many wonderful memories as well as new things we look forward to trying- like Qsine.

Hopefully you have enjoyed the review and the pictures. I do have the Celebrity Today Newspapers from the cruise. I know some people enjoy reading them. If there is interest I can scan and post them.

All told in 7 days the Summit cruised 1147 Nautical Miles and visited 5 ports of call. It was a busy week, if I had any complaints it was that the ship made too many stops. But each of the ports were excellent I would have a hard time choosing which one to skip!

We enjoyed the Summit. Each trip is a bit of an adventure, and that adds to the experience. If anyone has questions I will be happy to try and answer them.

Super review

Thanks a lot....

May i know what camera you used to take those underwater shots ? There are pretty nice...

Thanks again

Thank you so much for the detailed review and wonderful photos! We are on the Summit next month (opposite itinerary), and your review helped me decide about Qsine (yes if the kids enjoy the kids club!).

I have to know what kind of camera you use. My photos never look that good!

IMG_4303_zps8883f515.jpg

The Summit as seen from Paradise Point, St Thomas.

So loving this pic, we were on the same sailing and if you could zoom in you would see us here on Deck 11, soaking up sun and rum drinks on our last day on board. A nice memory as we are like sitting ducks here in the NE waiting for a major snow storm :D

Most of the above water shots were shot with a Canon Rebel T3i, 18 MP digital SLR. The underwater shots were taken with my old Canon Powershot A720 IS in an underwater housing I bought online. It is a little 8 MP point and shoot camera that has an underwater mode, which adjusts the levels to take some of the blue out and bring back the natural colors.

The Rebel T3i usually just has a 18mm to 55mm lens on it, although some of the shots, like the close up of Summit were taken with a 55mm - 250 mm telephoto.

Most of the above water shots were shot with a Canon Rebel T3i, 18 MP digital SLR. The underwater shots were taken with my old Canon Powershot A720 IS in an underwater housing I bought online. It is a little 8 MP point and shoot camera that has an underwater mode, which adjusts the levels to take some of the blue out and bring back the natural colors.

The Rebel T3i usually just has a 18mm to 55mm lens on it, although some of the shots, like the close up of Summit were taken with a 55mm - 250 mm telephoto.

Thanks so much for the review. We are on the Summit in April. It is our first Celebrity Cruise (Diamond on RCCL) and I have been freaking out reading some of the latest reviews. Sounds like you went expecting to have a good time and that is what you had. We are of the same mind set.

Question about the rain forest--we are in San Juan for the whole day before our cruise but do want to go to El Morro. Is there time for both in one day?

Karen

Thanks so much for the review. We are on the Summit in April. It is our first Celebrity Cruise (Diamond on RCCL) and I have been freaking out reading some of the latest reviews. Sounds like you went expecting to have a good time and that is what you had. We are of the same mind set.

Question about the rain forest--we are in San Juan for the whole day before our cruise but do want to go to El Morro. Is there time for both in one day?

Karen

Yes I have read some of the bad reviews as I was working on mine and was confused, like we were even on the same ship. But that is typical on here. That is why I put the disclaimer at the beginning that we are not typical cruisers. You guys will enjoy the ship, the Captains Club Cocktail party is much nicer than the Diamond Event on RCCL ships.

To answer your question, yes it should be possible to do both. I would suggest booking the Rainforest tour in the morning. We did it the day we departed but you could do it the day you sail. The tour had us to the airport by 1:30, so it was probably back to the ship by 2. From the ship you could get a taxi that will take you to El Morro. The "other" main fort in San Juan, Castillo de San Cristóbal is worth checking out as well, although El Morro is better known. They are only about a mile apart. Castillo de San Cristóbal was used in the filming of one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Using Taxis you should be able to see at least one of the forts before you sail. The nice thing is out of San Juan, the ships sail late. We were scheduled to sail at 8 or 8:30. I don't remember which since we were delayed by US Customs. They had a computer glitch and none of the ships were allowed to leave until it was resolved.

Wow, what a great review with such awesome photos! We sail the same itinerary on Summit in just two weeks so this was great to read and get your perspective. My hubbie and brother-in-law will be diving in St. Maarten and I'm hoping to snorkel wherever. I'd also like to try some standup paddleboarding on one of the stops...did you see any places that offered that?

Thanks for the time to post this fantastic review

Cathy

Great Review! Very informative. I am glad you had a great cruise/vacation. :D

Sounds like you spent a lot of time out at the Aft Bar...did you happen to see these bartenders? Kenroy, Patrick, or Michael? We'd love to recconect w/ them in May on the Summit.

patrick.jpg.e7916fcd431976040adf1d4b7f705fe8.jpg

aftgang.jpg.3e96fadb5a8ea676ebd54f3f65f87290.jpg

Archived