Family Emergency Onboard Need Help Please

ddy123

We were on Eclipse last month, we tendered into St. Thomas.

There was a guy who RAN the shuttle busses who also works at the fire station. He was a SUPER guy, and very very trustworthy.

Part of me wonders if you are able to get there and ask him for help what would happen.

When he drove us around, he showed us a "hostile" type thing... its part of the U.S and said that sometimes when people come to the island and don't have a place to stay they will allow them to stay there... ????? May be worth googling ??

I know, when we dealt with him... he couldn't do enough for us.

His name was Raymond... and like I said, he runs the shuttle program (taxi's taking people to the beaches or whatever) and was SUPER trustworthy.

Good Luck... prayers and thoughts to you all!

Chass

You're lucky. When mom was evac'd off the ship to Ft Lauderdale for surgery, it was right before the Super Bowl, and our room at the hotel went from $229 a night to $899 a night the week of Super Bowl. Despite the fact that the hotel management knew that we were there for mom's emergency hip replacement, they would not budge and there were no other rooms available. Heck, the Hampton Inn was charging $499 a night during Super Bowl.

Honestly, I would have gone on EVERY hotel website available to sing from the rooftops about how brutal they were under the circumstances. I understand if you couldn't provide medical proof about the situation, but if you could, they should have been WAY more accommodating.

I think that when places who rely on good reviews act poorly its worth the time to tell others about your experience.

Just my opinion of course..

All,

I am stil in St. Thomas. Dad is currently stable but his state on the ship was dire so your prayers are absolutely working. He is undergoing many tests and our priority is to determine that he is well enough to fly.

The cruiseline has been absolutely fantastic. And the nurses at the hospital have helped me to keep my sanity. I will say that things are very different here than in a mainland based U.S. hospital in terms of the spped of tests being performed and then read for results. Extremely frustrating.

My parents did have insurance thank goodnes so we are covered there.

Again thank you so very much for your concerns and especially your prayers. My father smiled when I told him we had prayers happening all around the world for him.

What a nice surprise to log in and see your post! I am so happy to hear your father is hanging in there... will continue to keep him and the rest of your family in my thoughts and prayers. Remember to take care of yourself, too... from someone who has "been there, done that"... ;)

All,

I so appreciated your prayers and words of encouragement these last few days. I wanted to happily let you know that both my Dad and my Mom are safely home sleeping in their own bed. Given my Dad's state on the ship, we are so incredibly blessed that this is the case. I flew from St Thomas back home with them today. Tomorrow I head home myself to my very supportive husband and two teenage girls who will be getting extra hugs and kisses from me.

Thank you again for your assistance and support.

All,

I so appreciated your prayers and words of encouragement these last few days. I wanted to happily let you know that both my Dad and my Mom are safely home sleeping in their own bed. Given my Dad's state on the ship, we are so incredibly blessed that this is the case. I flew from St Thomas back home with them today. Tomorrow I head home myself to my very supportive husband and two teenage girls who will be getting extra hugs and kisses from me.

Oh, that is wonderful news. I'm sure it was a super stressful time, especially being so far from home. Thank heaven for a happy outcome!;)

It brought tears to my eyes! So glad for a happy ending. What a special daughter to fly down and help with transition to get him home safely. Makes one realize insurance is a good thing.

Many blessings for continued recovery.

All,

My parents did have insurance thank goodnes so we are covered there.

I'm assuming that you're referring to the cruise care insurance here. I don't know the age of your parents, but wanted to let you know that if they have it, Medicare is accepted in St. Thomas since it is a US Territory. I don't know about commercial insurance, but you may want to check that as well in the event the insurance they have does not cover everything.

My best wishes for your father's full recovery.

All,

So happy to hear all turned out well. Please keep us posted.

I'm assuming that you're referring to the cruise care insurance here. I don't know the age of your parents, but wanted to let you know that if they have it, Medicare is accepted in St. Thomas since it is a US Territory. I don't know about commercial insurance, but you may want to check that as well in the event the insurance they have does not cover everything.

My best wishes for your father's full recovery.

More good news. I assume Medicare is accepted in St. Thomas, St. Croix, and Puerto Rico. Have I missed other places in the Caribbean?

DDY123, Welcome Home to you and your parents. Please write again.

jls

All,

That's wonderful news!

Just read your post this morning. We lived almost ten years in the US Virgin Islands, and I am glad your family did not have a bad experience.

Hospitals there may fly the US flag but the level of care in the USVI is not the same at all. Most residents immediately go to Puerto Rico, Miami, or to towns near relatives when anything major comes up.

The reality of travel of course is you may end up in a foreign hospital, but it is a false sense if security to think all will be comparable in the USVI. Just want others to be aware.

Archived