Live from the Sapphire Princess 14 Day R/T to Hawaii March 9, 2011

Woobstr112G

Good evening from the Sapphire Princess. Today is our first full sea day as we head toward Hilo. Today was a wonderful day just relaxing and doing what you please. I had breakfast in Sabatinis which was fantastic. Service was off the charts good and the eggs benedict was very tasty.]

Bob, we just got off the Sapphire on 3/9 before you boarded. We loved our Sabatini mornings. Please tell all of the terrific Sabatini's staff (Alice, George, Elena, Gabriel) that Doreen and Kevin miss then. Have a wonderful cruise.

Bob, have a great trip. I'll be closely following your daily reports as two years from now (on my 60'th birthday), I've already told my partner that I want to be on a Princess ship on the way to Hawaii. Not that I want time to pass quickly, but I can hardly wait.

DW had a medical issue that almost caused to miss the cruise. She improved enough, litterally at the last minute, that allowed us to go.....:):):)

Bob

Hi Bob. Sorry that Holli wasn't feeling well, and glad to hear that she is doing better.

Thanks for doing the "live", and have a great and safe cruise.

Howard (MGnut)

Have a great cruise! I'm very interested in your thoughts on the Hawaiian Cultural Program that the Sapphire has. Especially since you've already done this cruise on the Golden. So you know how great Elua's Hawaii program is.

We just got off this cruise 3/9. unfortunately, it's hard to live up to ELUA and their music! I didn't participate this time, but there were Uke classes, and having seen the final show, it appears it was very successful. But, there were no hula dancers to join the uke players. in fact, I'm not sure they presented Hula classes.

my main issue with the Sapphire Hawaiian program, there was very little or NO Hawaiian music playing anywhere on the ship. We sat in the Piazza daily for several hours and listened to jazz and a string quartet (who were excellent!)... but never heard a Hawaiian tune played... EVER!!

I asked the Uke instructor and he assured me that Hawaiian music was playing throughout the ship on the way over and while in port. Not sure where he heard it... but as I stated, It wasn't playing in the Piazza, in comparison to the Golden, where Hawaiian music is playing ALL the time in between the various stage performers and ELUA.

I also heard people complaining that there was no music or band playing during the day in the Neptune pool area like there used to be. Only MUTS!

Don't get me wrong... we totally enjoyed the ship and the cruise... and as from the music... I had IZ on my IPod and enjoyed every Hawaiian beat!!!

As far as the weather goes, upon departure, the Captain said the seas would be rough out of Los Angeles but would calm and be as such all the way to Hawaii. True to his word, they were a bit bumpy soon after clearing the breakwater and didn't clear up till yesterday morning. The weather was clear and the temps were a just little cool. yesterday the weather was great as sjys were clear and temps were fine. Today, the seas are like glass with a few more clouds with the temops being great as well.

Take Care All.....:):):)

Bob

Sounds wonderful! I'm jealous!:)

We just got off this cruise 3/9. unfortunately, it's hard to live up to ELUA and their music! I didn't participate this time, but there were Uke classes, and having seen the final show, it appears it was very successful. But, there were no hula dancers to join the uke players. in fact, I'm not sure they presented Hula classes.

my main issue with the Sapphire Hawaiian program, there was very little or NO Hawaiian music playing anywhere on the ship. We sat in the Piazza daily for several hours and listened to jazz and a string quartet (who were excellent!)... but never heard a Hawaiian tune played... EVER!!

I asked the Uke instructor and he assured me that Hawaiian music was playing throughout the ship on the way over and while in port. Not sure where he heard it... but as I stated, It wasn't playing in the Piazza, in comparison to the Golden, where Hawaiian music is playing ALL the time in between the various stage performers and ELUA.

I also heard people complaining that there was no music or band playing during the day in the Neptune pool area like there used to be. Only MUTS!

Don't get me wrong... we totally enjoyed the ship and the cruise... and as from the music... I had IZ on my IPod and enjoyed every Hawaiian beat!!!

Mikjr, not sure how you missed the hula classes, but they definitely had them on our sailing. They also had numerous lei-making classes. There were lots of Hawaiian themed activities.

Mikjr, not sure how you missed the hula classes, but they definitely had them on our sailing. They also had numerous lei-making classes. There were lots of Hawaiian themed activities.

I knew there were lei classes, guess I missed the hula classes. did the dancers have a show also?

We were on this cruise November 24 - December 8, 2012. We had your Vista Suite also - D738 - a great place on the ship, we loved it. We also had Fernando as our Room Steward, he was great!

We had a Renewal of Vows Ceremony officiated by Captain Carlton followed by an Ultimate Balcony Dinner later in the evening - was wondeerful.

If you think of it, please tell Alice that Mr. and Mrs. Tyra say hello. She was absolutely the greatest. We will probably never see her again, and surely will miss her on future cruises.

We love sea days and this itinerary is wonderful, as you can see, we have done it three times.

Glad your wife is better and enjoy "our" suite!;)

Cheryl

We absolutely loved listening to Elua in the Piazza and on deck. I still can't believe the person who started a thread complaining about all the Hawaiian music on the Golden. Hubby even bought a CD of Hawaiian music composed and performed by Larry Rivera, an icon on Kauai, while we were doing the Hollywood and Waterfalls tour on that island in December. And it's hard not to just feel the emotion every time I hear Izzy singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

8549365418_913ee081a9.jpg

Good morning from the Sapphire Princess. Today is our second full sea day as we head to beautiful Hawaii. I just got done with a quick workout in the gym. The gym was a little different than the gyms on my recently traveled Princess ships (Emerald/Ruby). What I mean by different is while both gyms are half-moon shaped, on the Emerald/Ruby the hardwood floor is in the middle to the rear of all the equipment. The Sapphire gym has a divider in the middle. To the left is the hardwood floor with additional treadmills. One interesting thing I noticed about the elliptical machines is there might be an issue using them for people of any height. Reason being is the ceiling is rather low. I noted that all the cardio equipment with the exception of one treadmill and one elliptical machine appeared to be in good working order.

Today is our first formal night. I’m looking forward to getting dressed up as soon as I solve an issue with my rental tux. Being that our room steward is top notch, I’m sure the issue will be fixed. For the morning, not sure what I’ll do. I might just play it by ear.

Today’s movie offerings are Princess Ka’iulani (MUTS) at 10:00am; Hawaii (MUTS) above and beneath at 11:45am; Billy Joel concert (MUTS) at 12:45pm; Bon Jovi (MUTS) at 2:00pm; Mamma Mia (MUTS) at 3:00pm; Take that Live concert (MUTS) at 5:00pm; The Bourne Legacy (MUTS) at 7:00pm.

They do have a Hawaiian cultural program on board. There are also numerous Scholarship at sea lectures on a number of subjects.

Well, that’s all for now. Off to decide what I want for breakfast after I track down our room steward regarding the tux issue. I’ll check back later to see if anyone has any questions.

Take Care All…..:):):)

Bob

I'm glad you're able to go. I'm sure the sea breezes will help your wife.

If you hadn't seen "Princess Ka’iulani," it is a lovely movie about the waning days of the Hawaiian kingdom.

Thanks for that information. I know Elua would be hard to beat, but I thought there might be another Island band that Princess would bring onboard for the Hawaii sailings. That's too bad. I think I'll stick with the Golden (or Star next season) next time I sail to Hawaii. Elua just brings so much to the experience.

A belated Bon Voyage, Bob and Holli. Denny and I just returned from a week in Vegas and found your "Live From". Thanks for taking the time to post your latest adventure. We did this same itinerary on the Sapphire last year. Loved the ship and the crew were fantastic. Wishing you and Holli warm, sunny days and smooth sailing! We're looking forward to more of your "Live From" installments!

Jan

Just had to comment, I also love IZ and listen when I go or when I just need a little of the Hawaiian feeling.

And it's hard not to just feel the emotion every time I hear Izzy singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

Dave from Elua does an excellent version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" too. We bought the CD while on board 2 years ago, and I still get emotional every time I hear it.

Bob I am glad Holli was well enough to make the trip. Looks like you are off to a fun sail to Hawaii. Nothing like having favorable seas. What do you always say? Fair winds and a following sea.

Greg, my DH and I just got off the Hawaii sailing before Bob and his wife embarked. The Randy Heddon Quartet was very good. They really engaged the guests and packed the Wheelehouse every night. The dancefloor was full whenever they were onstage. Hope the are still on board when you sail

Doreen: Thanks so much for the info. Lets hope they will be on the ship, one month

away.

Greg

Hi Bob,

I hope Holli is feeling better. We are sorry we missed you on Saturday. It was our first BVE and we had a great time. We came by your suite, but we understand now why you weren't there. I'm curious if the small plastic container was still at your door when you got there? I had made some homemade fudge and thought you and Holli might enjoy a little treat in your cabin. I look forward to hearing about the rest of your trip as Tammy and I were on the Sapphire this time last year. But we sailed on the 10th, we really love this particular cruise. Good luck and be safe. Kathy

Good evening from the beautiful Sapphire Princess. Holli and I just returned from the evening show after our late seating traditional dining. The production show was called “Do You Wanna Dance.” I’m not a big fan of production shows, but this one was fairly good. The female singers were great. The male singers were just so so. The highlight of the evening was at the end when the cruise director gives his or her little talk. Our CD Billy Hygate gave his talk but also did a mini stand up routine that was downright funny. Billy has been with Princess 30 years and still has the enthusiasm of a 20 year old. He is a definite asset to the ship.

This was the first time we tried the dining room and I have to say the service was outstanding. Our waiter Virgil from the Philippians did everything under the sun to make sure we enjoyed our meal. The head waiter also came by several times to ensure that all our needs were being attended to.

Tonight was our first formal night. I enjoyed, as always getting dressed up in my tux. When I tried on my rental tux this afternoon, I realized that I had forgotten to order shoes along with the tux. No worries though as our room steward told me I could order them at the passenger services desk. I saw a good number of fellow passengers decked out in suits, tuxes, and evening gowns. I also saw a number of military dress uniforms as well as kilts. Tonight was also the champagne waterfall. The waterfall was in green to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

During the day I worked out in the gym in the morning. After that, I had breakfast in Sabatini’s which was once again great. The staff really goes the extra mile to make it a great experience.

Overall, today was another great sea day. Tomorrow is our third full day at sea as we head toward Hawaii. Haven’t finalized any plans yet so might just play it by ear. Oh, one last thing, the trio that plays in the wheel house has a very loyal following. The wheelhouse was packed and the dance floor was always full. I’ll do my best to try and find out if they will be on the ship in April.

That’s all for now. Hope all are well…..:):):)

Bob

Hi Bob,

I hope Holli is feeling better. We are sorry we missed you on Saturday. It was our first BVE and we had a great time. We came by your suite, but we understand now why you weren't there. I'm curious if the small plastic container was still at your door when you got there? I had made some homemade fudge and thought you and Holli might enjoy a little treat in your cabin. I look forward to hearing about the rest of your trip as Tammy and I were on the Sapphire this time last year. But we sailed on the 10th, we really love this particular cruise. Good luck and be safe. Kathy

We are sorry that we wern't on the ship when you were here. Thank you for the fudge. It was very tasty.....:):):)

Bob

8551236655_5702817cd8.jpg

A very good morning to all from the Sapphire Princess. Today is our third full sea day while heading for Hilo. It’s just before 0700 and I’m sitting on my balcony as I type this. The weather is a tad cool and the seas are just a little rougher than yesterday.

Today, Holli and I plan to have breakfast in Sabbatini’s. After that she wants to rest up a bit, I will probably head to the gym and I also might try out the thermal suite as well. At 1200 Holli & I along with SIL & BIL are going to partake in the pub lunch. The pub lunch will be held in one of the dining rooms instead of the wheelhouse bar. I don’t know if this change is fleet wide, but in previous sailings, the pub lunch was always held in the wheelhouse bar.

After dinner last night and before the show, we wandered into Facets. Boy what a mistake that was as Holli fell in love with a Tanzanite bracelet. If I purchase it, one god thing will be it will be stamped as “US Goods Returning” and thereby be duty exempt.

Today’s movie offerings are Blue Hawaii (MUTS) at 10:00am; Hawaii: above and beneath (MUTS) at 1145; Coldplay Live 2012 (MUTS) at 12:15pm; Dirty Dancing (MUTS) at 3:00pm; Genesis Live (MUTS) at 5:00pm; Premium Rush (MUTS) at 7:15pm & 10:00pm.

The Princess Theater will offer The Amazing comedy & Funny Magic of Lorenzo Clark at 7:00pm, 8:15pm, and 10:15pm.

In the Piazza there will be musical melodies between 12:15pm and 2:15pm, Champagne Hoopla at 2:15pm, afternoon melodies at 3:00pm, Juggler David Aiken at 4:30pm, and evening melodies between 5:00pm and 9:00pm.

There is also an ice carving demonstration at Neptune’s pool as well as several Hawaiian activities through scholarship at sea.

Looks like there is something for everyone to do today.

Hope all are well…..:):):)

Bob

At 1200 Holli & I along with SIL & BIL are going to partake in the pub lunch. The pub lunch will be held in one of the dining rooms instead of the wheelhouse bar. I don’t know if this change is fleet wide, but in previous sailings, the pub lunch was always held in the wheelhouse bar.
Bob, You must have been sailing on the Crown, Emerald or Ruby.

• On the Golden and Star (and presumably the Grand) the Pub Lunch is held in the Crown Grill.
  • On the Island and the Coral the Pub Lunch is held in the Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse.
  • On the Sapphire (and presumably the Diamond) the Pub Lunch is held in the Savoy DR.

I am enjoying reliving our recent Sapphire cruise thru your live postings.

We had a great time and the service, to us, was wonderful.

I am pleased to read that you are enjoying your cruise and appreciate you taking time to post.

Glad you're having such a good time, and I hope your wife is feeling better every day. If you do buy the bracelet, photos appreciated . . . I like sunrises and all that nature stuff, but I really, really like jewelry!

we are also on board the Sapphire for this sailing, the Pub Lunch has been hosted in the Savoy Dining Room the last couple of years. Seems to be getting more and more popular, quite a line to get in and not as enjoyable the way they pack people in.

Archived