CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

I never saw one passport issue with the returning Triumph passengers amidst all the doom and gloom, but JH has alreay posted they are taking care of it for the passengers.

Didn't the Triumph leave from and return to the US? Different scenario here, no?

Didn't know that this thread was only open to past CCL cruisers.

I am here b/c what happens to CCL affects the whole industry since they are the largest cruise line.

And, FYI, I do not wish CCL ill.

Exactly. I don't cruise them, but that doesn't mean I don't have CCL stock in some of my funds. It's called a vested interest. Actually more vested than anyone who doesn't have a financial interest in the line, but only sails them every couple of years.

Sorry but it looks like the Passport issue is a non-issue.

As per John Healds Facebook post:

Some of you have been asking about passports and concerened about family members who traveled on the Carnival Dream without them. Let me assure you that we are currently interfacing with St. Maarten and U.S. authorities to work through that and do not anticipate any issues with guests re-entering the U.S. who do not have passports.

Thanks

Like I said, exceptions can be made just like they did for the people on the Costa Concordia.

I wonder if the test that they ran that caused the problem with the Dream was precipitated by the changes they are trying to implement. How ironic if that was the case.

No, this kind of testing has been required since before I started sailing 37 years ago.

I am very surprised that CCl has just announced only a partial refund for guests currently on the Carnival Dream in St Maarten.

The guests are going to have an difficult time getting back to Port Canaveral and I think we are looking at a growing outrage.

You have to realize, this just happened. Compensation quotes tend to change as the days go by, so it could happen in this case also.

I am very surprised that CCl has just announced only a partial refund for guests currently on the Carnival Dream in St Maarten.

The guests are going to have an difficult time getting back to Port Canaveral and I think we are looking at a growing outrage.

They got and paid for a 4 day cruise. Now they can book another one.

I think it is very fair. As someone stated they are being flown home on chartered flights and buses being provided to bring them to the cruise port to pick up their cars. The only nightmare I can think of would be to someone like me who would is afraid of flying. Almost to the point of getting panic attacks just thinking of going to an airport to pick somone off. Then having to fly home because the cruise ship I came on is no longer serviceable.

I think the only people that can decide if it's adequate enough, is those passengers whose cruise was affected. The rest of us weren't affected, so who are we to say if it's good (or not) enough?

You make entirely too much sense for those on this forum. Please change your behaviour accordingly.

I would think that the bottleneck will occur when passengers without passports have to go through immingration after landing in the US.

Since Carnival has to turn in a lsit of passengers to Homeland Security before the cruise sails, I would guess that the immigration workers at the airport could be given acopy of that list. I would hope they have separate lines for those with and without passports so passengers with the foresight to ahve passports do not get needlessly held up.

I agree that the bottleneck will be at MCO. And I also agree that those with passports should get priority. No reason for them to wait in line behind people that will take a lot longer to process.

I guess you would rather Carnival tries to sail with all of those passengers and have a repeat of the Triumph sailing... Kudos to Carnival for getting everyone back to MCO to either catch flights or shuttles to port. I am also wondering how ICE will handle the passengers who are traveling with no passport..... should be interesting...

I, too, think Carnival is being very proactive and fair in this situation. Now they need to get more proactive, if possible, in maintenance. I know this was caught during a routine check, just seems like more incidences are occurring. Maybe instead of 2.0 upgrades, generator upgrades should happen. Just my thoughts.

The cheerleaders say the stranded ones "are in a Paradise!".

CNN says: The experience on the Carnival Dream became something of a nightmare for some passengers Wednesday when power went off, some toilets stopped working, and no one was allowed to get off the vessel -- despite the fact that the ship was docked at Philipsburg, St. Maarten, in the eastern Caribbean.

Lets hear it, CCL Cheerleaders. We are waiting...

Why do poeple continue to fight on these boards like children on a playground? Are we not adults?

My family is on the Dream in May and we don't expect anything to change between now and then. People get delayed and have to change plans everyday at the airport. Your vacation is what you make it!!!!!!

CNN and others seem to freely use the term "nightmare" in relation to this event. I guess their definition of nightmare is when everything doesn't go exactly as one wants.

Dream was supposed to be at sea today. Yet at least one passenger happily complains about having to stay aboard this morning.

Majority of their vacation? So what do they do with the other part? Does their employers REFUND their vacation days they took? Answer: NO. Its wasted.

They got the majority of their vacation. That's my point. And to the one who said they are not allowed off the ship, yes they are, you are using old information. They are spending the day in St. Martin and being flown back to Orlando tomorrow.

I would be happy with that compensation, you wouldn't be. End of story.

Don't really understand why you are attacking me anyway. I was only about the 10th person to reply the same way and there is another thread going on with dozens of other people who agree with me, so chill out. Geeze. :rolleyes:

Didn't the Triumph leave from and return to the US? Different scenario here, no?

The Triumph left from one US port and arrived back at a different US port so the cruise was no longer a "closed loop" cruise. DHS still figured out how to handle it, as they will in the Dream's case.

If you are not reconsidering a Carnival cruise, or worried about your upcoming cruise, I admire your ignorance.

I am currently booked on the Dream, on the wrong side of the cancellation window. Had this happened last week, I would be canceling my cruise.

IMO......they deserve to be compensated for what they did not receive. They do not deserve to be compensated 100% for a trip where they made all of their ports.

I know it's easy for us to sit here and make judgement calls, but while they are not getting their full cruise, they are being compensated for what they did "not" get and are being flown home. The ship is now functioning with water, bathrooms, etc. and they have plenty of food.

While certainly not the ideal situation.......no one is suffering physical damage.

Inconvenient and upsetting "YES"........End of the World and I should be compensated for everything......."NO"

CNN and others seem to freely use the term "nightmare" in relation to this event. I guess their definition of nightmare is when everything doesn't go exactly as one wants.

Dream was supposed to be at sea today. Yet at least one passenger happily complains about having to stay aboard this morning.

Ummmm....carnival just released a statement saying that ONE public bathroom had a toilet overflow and ONE cabin had an incident with a toilet overflow. That doesn't sound like "human waste everywhere" in my book.

As per John Healds Facebook post:

Some of you have been asking about passports and concerened about family members who traveled on the Carnival Dream without them. Let me assure you that we are currently interfacing with St. Maarten and U.S. authorities to work through that and do not anticipate any issues with guests re-entering the U.S. who do not have passports.

Thanks

Sorry John, but that is a pretty weak statement. There is a HUGE difference between "do not anticipate" and "there won't be any". People need to know that there will NOT be a problem, not simply that you aren't "anticipating" any. If you weren't really anticipating a problem, you wouldn't be interfacing with the authorities.

I'm willing to bet that when the Dream left Port Canaveral for this cruise that nobody at Carnival "acticipated" this happening....yet, it did anyway.

4 in a row might actually be a nightmare for Carnival, but don't get caught up in nouns. It doesn't change the story.

I just noticed I have more posts that Ducklite on this thread, so I might have to reread for her to catch up. :p

Archived