CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

There were no exceptions made for the Americans on the Concordia. They were all issued new passports in Rome before they were repatriated. It was not a pleasant experience by all accounts.

Concordia was not on a closed-loop itinerary. Everyone aboard would have had a passport. Given the circumstances many, if not most of these passports would have been lost or seriously damaged. That is why they required new passports before being repatriated.

There is paperwork involved in replacing a lost or damaged passport. It is unavoidable and unfortunately it takes time, especially when a single embassy is trying to process several hundred such requests at the same time.

"Gerry Cahill, president and C.E.O. of Carnival Cruise Lines, spoke further on the topic with the Miami Herald and revealed more about the review process and future improvements. His message: Low fares aside, Carnival will not "skimp" on safety."

Really!!! Mr. Cahill then went on to say that building redundant systems on cruise ships may be to expensive, but they would consider it if other cruise ships did it.

I though that Carnival, being the biggest was supposed to be an innovator.

Individuals who run Carnival should realize that while they have the right and certainly make money, the safety of their passengers come first.

AMEN 2 Dat!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many people like to cause fear. The ones without passports will get home. They may have to be at teh end of the line to enter the US behind the passengers with passports, but they will get home.

As for the situation in a whole and so close to the Triumph: yikes, not good.

They reported what they were told. You reported what they "told" you. That doesn't make YOU wrong.

But actually the job of a reporter is SUPPOSED to be to dig out the facts not merely report what they are "told" - at least it was in the olden days ;) - needs to go back that I think. We get entertainment with a smattering of news - when we need real news. Journalism is a dying art.

The cheerleaders say the stranded ones "are in a Paradise!".

CNN says: The experience on the Carnival Dream became something of a nightmare for some passengers Wednesday when power went off, some toilets stopped working, and no one was allowed to get off the vessel -- despite the fact that the ship was docked at Philipsburg, St. Maarten, in the eastern Caribbean.

Lets hear it, CCL Cheerleaders. We are waiting...

I'll bite. They are NOW allowed off the ship. To cite the article you referenced but apparently didn't read:

Kris Anderson, a passenger on the ship and reporter for CNN affiliate WREG, said Thursday passengers have been told they will be allowed off the ship to enjoy the island while flight arrangements are made.

and

But Thursday afternoon, Carnival told CNN that based on conversations with the ship's management team, a look at service logs "and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom.

What did you expect the Captain to do? Let everyone off onto the island for an undetermined time? What if they repair took two hours and then she was ready to sail? Again..in the same article

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Ryan Doss said Carnival's original decision to keep passengers on board was "for accountability purposes. The last thing we want to do is have someone get left behind in St. Maarten by accident."

This isn't a nightmare; it's an inconvenience. Does it suck? Yes. But, St, Maarten is a tropical island, not inner-city Detroit, for crying out loud. Relax

According to Carnival the problem was with the emergency backup generator, which was discovered during routine maintenance. They are not allowed to sail because of safety regulations concerning this equipment. They now have 9 days to fix it and sail back to Port Canaveral.

We are sailing on the 23rd on the Dream and at this point I am not worried. if the ship is still in St. Martin by the middle of next week then I will be worried.

The issue becomes can the problem be fixed without going into dry dock, and at this point I doubt anyone knows.

I am not suggesting they are in a paradise. Carnival cheerleader MissKIA did.

They are spending the day in St. Martin. Is this a slum? No, it is what many people would consider PARADISE!

What is your problem? Get over it!

To quote the poster above me:

Kris Anderson, a passenger on the ship and reporter for CNN affiliate WREG, said Thursday passengers have been told they will be allowed off the ship to enjoy the island while flight arrangements are made.

Concordia was not on a closed-loop itinerary. Everyone aboard would have had a passport. Given the circumstances many, if not most of these passports would have been lost or seriously damaged. That is why they required new passports before being repatriated.

There is paperwork involved in replacing a lost or stolen passport. It is unavoidable and unfortunately it takes time, especially when a single embassy is trying to process several hundred such requests at the same time.

There were 126 Americans on board who lived. I was responding to the person who was claiming that people were allowed to fly home without a passport, which in the case of the Americans was not true, and in the case of most of the Europeans, was moot as they weren't required to fly.

Actually, if you read the latest updates, Carnival states that the malfunction ocurred during "planned routine maintenance". This is sounding more and more to me as a problem with closing the emergency switchboard circuit breaker, and keeping it closed. Ships are required to start the emergency generator weekly for testing, and to "place it on line", in other words to actually power the emergency circuits (which on a day to day basis are powered by the main switchboard instead) to confirm the automatic start up and operation of the emergency generator. This is usually done close to midday in port (when pax count onboard is very low as there is a momentary loss of power, about 45 seconds).

So it seems that during this planned preventative maintenance (which is a SOLAS as well as USCG regulation), and the only time that the automation can be tested, the equipment failed. Glad to know it did during testing, not when needed.

While Carnival's problems may indeed stem back to improper maintenance from cost cutting, etc, I can't say. What I can say is that from 37 years experience on ships that this kind of failure during testing is not at all uncommon. Despite most cruise ships carrying millions of dollars of spare parts onboard (and yes to the poster who asked, there is an engineering department onboard), you cannot have one of everything, and obviously they don't have the part needed, and are flying it or a technician from the equipment manufacturer in to fix it.

I know this thread will have grown by at least two pages while I've been typing this, but hopefully those who are interested can find it!

Worth a repeat..thanks for always clearing things up chengkp75; and I started from the bottom up reading...and got to yours in a half hour....not too bad. You help us understand what most likely happened and lend such clarity. Thank you very much.

sarah

You go to a restaurant and your salad and entree are fine but there is a cockroach in your cake. The first 2/3 of your meal was fine but a good restaurant will not charge you for the entire meal.

You are absolutely right Mark. But the planted Carnival Cheerleaders WILL NOT acknowledge this. They would argue that the cockroach was entertaining, crunchy, tasty, and full of protein, and you are full of hate and greed if you want a full refund.

If someone is aware of this situation, it's not ignorance. :D

I'm booked on Dream for July, and have no intentions of canceling. I'll take the chance and will count on no major issues - maybe we'll have issues, but the odds are certainly in my favor that we won't.

I am a numbers guy. I look at trends, swings, percentages and movement on a daily basis. If you look at Carnival alone, your probability of having an issue is low. But an issue happening on Carnival vs a competitor is now becoming a considerable difference.

I wonder how the people that drove to the port feel about having to fly home? Many of these people drive because they have real fear of flying. Also they cruise because they feel it is a safe alternative to see diiferent parts of the world. Just sayin..........

Yet, some are already trying to make CNN the enemy.

Oh come on. CNN was so FOS during the Triumph incident with their embellishments and lies that were proven mostly false when the passengers got off.

Oh come on. CNN was so FOS during the Triumph incident with their embellishments and lies that were proven mostly false when the passengers got off.

What specific lies did CNN tell? Because outside of a few cheerleading "Everything was wonderful! Why were people complaining?" type responses, according to passengers, most of what they said was completely correct.

Archived