Diamonds International Help

dwoz2012

We were in St. Thomas and we wanted to upgrade my wife's diamond. We went to DI and got a 1.50 ct 88 facet stone. we get home and have it apprised for insurance. well here is how it panned out at st Thomas. Traded her diamond in $5500 trade value, and a ring that she bought from DI on a earlier cruise $1500 TV. and paid $8,000 for the new diamond. So we are into the new diamond $14,500. Now this brings me to the appraisal ...$10,000. So I feel that we have been taken by a store that is backed by the cruise line. If anyone has information that could help us get this fixed let me know. We just started this and we will be contacting the cruise line tomorrow.

I've mentionedd on other posts that buying jewelry in the Caribbean is not a good idea and people get all offended.....THIS is the reason!

The problem that you have is that the cruise line doesn't care and won't stand behind you (even though you filled out all that paperwork and the buying person recommended that you go to DI). Your credit card won't help you since the receipt shows exactly what you got, so there is no fraud involved. DI will call it "buyers remorse" and won't be of any help. They may tell you that if you go to any of the DI stores (all of whom you will have to pay a fortune to get to), they will "work with you". Unfortunately you have a long road to go down and you may and may not have any success.

My suggestion: use social media. Post your problem on Twitter and Facebook....post frequently, but stick to the facts. Don't be too disparaging as that is slander.....just state the facts and say you expect someone to contact you. Unfortunately, if you Google DI scams, you'll see that they've scammed LOTS of people.

I don't think the cruiseline will do anything for you. They just "recommend" certain stores because they get a kickback. Did you get an appraisal from DI that stated the precise size, color, cut and clarity of the diamond you purchased? Generally, a stone should appraise for about twice it's sale price. This does not mean you could ever sell it for that amount or even the amount you paid for it.

Too late now, but as a warning to others - the days of getting a bargain on jewelry in the islands are long past. Unless its something unique that can't be purchased elsewhere, buy it from a reputable jeweler at home or at the very least have some concrete knowledge of the value of various stones before you go.

To the OP - unless you have something in writing that states the "4 Cs" of the stone you purchased and it is not, I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on unless you also have something in writing saying it is guaranteed to appraise at a certain sum by a certified appraiser. Please come back and let us know how things go. I believe DI has a branch in NYC.

You need to check the guarentee that you got. The one I looked at the other day was very specific about whose appraisal they will accept. The cruise line should be able to give you the info if you do not have it.

You need to get an GIA Appraisal from an independent appraiser. The problem is most work for insurance companies or jewelry stores/companies.

Where do you find an independent GIA Appraiser?

Without that appraisal, you could have a hard fight.

The appraisal has to come from an independent GIA appraiser that is not affiliated with a retail establishment. Most times, their appraisals are even less than retail places. All appraisers have books that they use, so they won't be too far off. Look in the phone book or do a Google search. Many operate out of their home and make most of their money from vacation purchases (my neighbor is one of those!!!)

OP, you need to tell DI that you want your original stone back. You send the new one back (certified) andalusite have the entire purchase negated. DI won't cooperate. The cruise line won't help. You need to be viva lent with your paperwork, keep records of everyone you speak with - it will take months of hard work to get this resolved. It CAN be done, but it is long and difficult.....how much is your time worth?

Edited by CaroleSS

'Ya know what?

Presumably your wife loves her new ring. You both chose it together while enjoying a fabulous cruise and have happy memories of the fun choosing it, the romance of the moment, the lovely cruise........

Forget whether you got exactly your dollars worth according to one very subjective opinion by one jeweler who may or may not have an agenda.

Seeing it isn't likely you are going to have a lot of chance for recovery in this situation, let her enjoy the ring, wear it proudly and fondly and move on. The more you fret and fuss about it, the less pleasure she will have from her new ring.

Maybe you'll return to the store some day and face to face you can chat with them at that time.

In the meantime, be well, have a happy marriage and enjoy her pretty new ring.

JMO....

Edited by sail7seas

We were in St. Thomas and we wanted to upgrade my wife's diamond. We went to DI and got a 1.50 ct 88 facet stone. we get home and have it apprised for insurance. well here is how it panned out at st Thomas. Traded her diamond in $5500 trade value, and a ring that she bought from DI on a earlier cruise $1500 TV. and paid $8,000 for the new diamond. So we are into the new diamond $14,500. Now this brings me to the appraisal ...$10,000. So I feel that we have been taken by a store that is backed by the cruise line. If anyone has information that could help us get this fixed let me know. We just started this and we will be contacting the cruise line tomorrow.

The price of jewelry is horribly marked up. People pay too much for jewelry all the time. You should only deal with a reputable jeweler where you live, or an online company, such as Bluenile.com. Most appraisals people get aren't worth the paper on which they are written.

1. The cruise line has nothing to do with this

2. You state you got $5500 trade in value for her old ring. What did you pay for it? Perhaps DI inflated the value of this old ring to make you feel good?

3. What was the other ring really worth? What did you actually pay for it?

You need to add the actual purchase prices of these two rings to what you paid for the new one to get what the new diamond "cost" you.

I don't know what you can do to "get this fixed" or even what this means. I don't think there's anything you can do about this, unless DI has some sort of return policy.

Edited by 6rugrats

presumably your wife loves her new ring. You both chose it together while enjoying a fabulous cruise and have happy memories of the fun choosing it, the romance of the moment, the lovely cruise........

Forget whether you got exactly your dollars worth

+1.

Before I posted this, I was talking with me wife and told her the same thing. I told her that we will inform DI and the cruise line about us feeling that we have been taken. But, I think if you love the diamond then I do not care what we paid. We enjoy cruising and going to the local shops, and just being away with each other. I will keep you posted on the outcome. I will still be working without my wife knowing about it.

Before I posted this, I was talking with me wife and told her the same thing. I told her that we will inform DI and the cruise line about us feeling that we have been taken. But, I think if you love the diamond then I do not care what we paid. We enjoy cruising and going to the local shops, and just being away with each other. I will keep you posted on the outcome. I will still be working without my wife knowing about it.

Good attitude. As long as she's happy with it - after all, it wasn't purchased as an investment and you're not likely to make any sort of recovery.

And this is a surprise? And why would expect the cruise line to help? They were not the one who purchased jewels DI? Have you ever noticed that DI (and TI) only have stores located at cruise ports (where folks seem to let down their guard and buy without thinking). Sorry for your lost...but consider it a lesson learned.

Hank

My personal opinion is that anyone that buys a diamond anywere on planet earth has been taken.

The price of Diamonds is simply set by a cartel who controls the supply, distribution, etc. But as long as some folks get joy out of perpetuating the myth of their value there will be a market. :)

But we wonder if the so-called "appraisal" is even a bigger con. Think of it, the appraiser normally charges based on the value so they have an incentive to inflate the value. And the owner is happy when their appraisal is high. And the insurance company is even happier because the insurance premium is based on the appraised value. Oh....and the real clincher is that insurance companies do not often pay-off on the appraised value. They will give you the opportunity to replace the stolen/lost jewel, but it will be with something comparable which costs the insurer a fraction of the appraised value. The real value of your jewel is probably a lot less then the appraisal. In fact, try asking a jeweler how much they will pay for your appraised jewel.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The price of Diamonds is simply set by a cartel who controls the supply, distribution, etc. But as long as some folks get joy out of perpetuating the myth of their value there will be a market. :)

But we wonder if the so-called "appraisal" is even a bigger con. Think of it, the appraiser normally charges based on the value so they have an incentive to inflate the value. And the owner is happy when their appraisal is high. And the insurance company is even happier because the insurance premium is based on the appraised value. Oh....and the real clincher is that insurance companies do not often pay-off on the appraised value. They will give you the opportunity to replace the stolen/lost jewel, but it will be with something comparable which costs the insurer a fraction of the appraised value. The real value of your jewel is probably a lot less then the appraisal. In fact, try asking a jeweler how much they will pay for your appraised jewel.

Hank

Anything (of monetary value) is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. VERY subjective.

You state you got $5500 trade in value for her old ring. What did you pay for it? Perhaps DI inflated the value of this old ring to make you feel good?

This. Car dealers do this all the time with your trade-in. Do you think DI would have actually PAID you $5,500 for that diamond if you offered to sell it to them? I doubt it. (In fact, even legitimate appraisers will put in disclaimers that, while they believe the retail value of the stone to be $X, that does not mean they are offereing to buy it from you for that amount.)

You may not have been ripped off as badly as you think. Still, it's worth pursuing if only to make themm uncomfortable and give DI some well-deserved bad publicity.

Personally, after hearing all the horror stories about places like DI and other stores in the Caribbean, I would never purchase anything of value at those stores. Probably could have gotten a better deal at a local jewelry store. Unless you really know what you're doing, and you really know your stones, chances are fairly high that there could be a rip off.

I had a similar experience with D.I. ten years ago. Went as far as even contacting the NY office along with the cruise ship and unfortunately no results! I learned back then to

just love the piece of jewelry you are purchasing and expect not the same service you

would expect here in the States. The D.I. I had problems with was in Cozumel. I guess we all get caught up in the moment. Hope you are at least enjoying the new purchase.

If it's pretty and we like it and it's a couple a' hundred $$$$ or so, we'll buy it. Will NOT EVER EVER buy a piece of jewelry for that amount of $$$$$ anywhere in the Caribbean. If you are lucky enough to only pay the "what it's appraised for" value, you're doing well! Too many people we know who have bought high end stones in the Caribbean got taken.

Good luck.

Personally, any jewelry purchase of size will be made at home at a jeweler I trust. Not on some island where I can't easily return it.

I agree 1000%. You have to develop a relationship with your jeweler just as your accountant......sometimes one knows each other through a third party...me......:D

• 4 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation. I traded in my engagement ring diamond for $5500 in st Thomas. I paid an additional $6500 for a new diamond. Now I'm in it for $12,000. My diamond appraised for $5300. Conveniently for DI, they were off by 1 color and 1 clarity so DI said they are within the terms and conditions of their receipt and won't give me a refund. I am disputing this with my credit card. I don't know what else to do. Let me know how you are progressing in your fight. Thanks.