Why are Med. cruises so costly?

jveevers

Finally I have full details of med. cruises 2014.

It is a long way to go so no point doing a 7 day cruise.

Looking at Equinox 12 nights , August 12th, Barcelona return.

Costing is , including taxes and prepaid grats, Aqua class 2 , $7516.46 which equates to $626.37 per night (or day).

I did 2 Carribean in Jan/Feb 2013, on Eclipse, Aqua Class 2.

The 14 night was $350- per night

The 7 night was $420- per night.

Both booked over 12 months prior to sailing.

I just had a look at the same 14 day Carribean for Jan 2014 that i did in Jan 2013 and it costs to $6008- , Aqua 2, Tax and Grats included, which is $429- per night.

I wonder why the huge difference between Carribean 2013 $350/$420-, Carribean 2014 $429- per night , compared to $626- per night for med. 2014. Almost 50% more for a med cruise.

i can think of 2 possibilities - costs for the cruiseline, such as fuel costs and port charges, and simply the basic economic influence, supply and demand.

I think supply and demand the most influencial on pricing. You can see this as prices rise after the first weeks after publishing them, then intermittent sales to drum up interest, then lower if the cruise is under sold closer to sail date.

your options include to keep looking for sale for your chosen cruise to see if the price drops, or if ports are the predominant reason for wanting this specific cruise, consider lowering your cabin class, or (gasp) book on another cruise line if the price is significantly better.

Also, the comparison with Caribbean is a poor example. Caribbean cruises are always cheaper due to the massive amount of competition there.

That said, as you can see even Caribbean cruises are up 20% more this year, which is a lot in a single year.

The Med is expensive? I hate to think what Northern Europe will then cost.

Also, as someone mentioned, the Med cruises are very port intensive and the different ports (and countries) can probably charge a lot more for their services. Supply and demand. If every ship wants to dock in Venice, they can charge more, I guess.

Cruises are still a premium happening over here in Europe and people are willing to pay it. The competition is still not as big as in the States.

And, unlike some people predict over and over again, the peak isn´t reached yet. Celebrity´s presence this year in Europe is the biggest ever. Simply because the average revenue is doing so good besides some marketing activities such as 1,2,3go...

I wonder why the huge difference between Carribean 2013 $350/$420-, Carribean 2014 $429- per night , compared to $626- per night for med. 2014. Almost 50% more for a med cruise.

It's very simple: Price is dictated by supply and demand.

Caribbean cruises operate year round. If you want to go, you can go virtually any time. During the winter, the vast majority of ships are in the Caribbean, so supply is higher. Demand is also lower in the winter because kids are in school. Hence, high supply + lower demand = relatively low prices for Caribbean cruises in Jan and Feb, when you went.

On the other hand, Med cruises are generally only offered during the summer, and even then, cruise lines don't send all their ships over to Europe; some stay in the Caribbean, some go to Alaska, some do Canada/New England sailings, so the supply for Med cruises is much lower than supply for Caribbean cruises overall. Demand is higher because kids are out of school in the summer so it's prime family vacation time. Low supply + high demand = high prices for Med cruises in the summer.

You are choosing peak time as well for Europeans to vacation. We are on sailing this May on an 11 day Adriatic cruise, and only paying $4200 for the two of us in an aft sky suite. Your airfares will also be peak price in August.

I have been watching the prices and I am amazed how much they have gone up. In May 2011, I booked a balcony 10 night out of Rome on Celebrity Equinox for Nov 2011. Cost before port taxes was $899 per person. Our airfare was $999 per person with British Airways out of Lax. We got such a deal, and had the best trip - watching to see if we can get another trip to Northern Europe, but so far, way too much.

Med cruises have always been more expensive. Others have mentioned the reasons for this. We have done 2 Med cruises, one in Concierge and one in Aqua.

I would like to add that, in my opinion, Aqua Class on a 12 day Med cruise is not worth it. Really, the only difference is dining in Blu. (all other amenities are really available to other classes). It is a lot of extra money for dining.

The Med cruise is very port intensive and the MDR or, as we chose to do after a very long day touring Rome or Florence or Monte Carlo, was not to even change and go to the buffet or Bistro On 5 or even a specialty restaurant (which we did on sea days) for dinner. In Venice was it was an overnighter, we ate in Port.

Also, often, our lunches were late (started eating 2PM or later) we did not feel like a big MDR (or Blu) dinner.

You can save a lot of money by opting for something other than Aqua.

I have been watching the prices and I am amazed how much they have gone up. In May 2011, I booked a balcony 10 night out of Rome on Celebrity Equinox for Nov 2011. Cost before port taxes was $899 per person. Our airfare was $999 per person with British Airways out of Lax. We got such a deal, and had the best trip - watching to see if we can get another trip to Northern Europe, but so far, way too much.

We were on that one too. That was an amazing price because it was one of two extra sailings Celebrity built in, pushing the TA to Nov 28 instead of Nov 7. They didn't seem to sell well and were discounted. Yes, I agree with you that it would be nice to see a similar bargain for Northern Europe. Don't think it's going to happen though.

We had a great deal last year, and have seen a few since. What makes it expensive for us (Canada) is the flights etc....we would take more European cruises than hitherto but for the additional (usually substantial) cost of air....

Have you seen the prices for transatlantic cruises eastbound. The 2014 prices are more than double 2013. An incredible increase.

Strangely, the 2014 westbound prices are lower than 2013 in some cases.

European cruises are not always expensive. We are going on a 12 nite Baltic cruise in August,2013 and paying $220/nite for a balcony on Carnival. Now, before everyone tells me how bad Carnival is, we've been on a 12 nite Med. cruise last year on Carnival and it was great. Carnival is not as nice as Celebrity but it is close; good food, fair entertainment, and good service. Also, Europe is about sightseeing, not so much the ship like in the Caribbean.

Wasn't there some call with an X exec that mentioned he thought their product had been under-priced? We booked a Med sail for Oct. 2013 early on - the price has now been raised but the 123 promo added (but in the end I think we got a better price as we are not paying for drinks we may or may not consume). IMO this is all marketing to get us ready for higher prices. Esp. for those of us in North America, increased cruise prices PLUS the ever increasing TA air, X better target their marketing to get the Europeans on board. We sailed on Azamara three times but now have been priced off their ships. I have about 2 more Celebrity sails that I am hoping to do but after that, I'm back to European land trips or "stay and see the USA".

Wasn't there some call with an X exec that mentioned he thought their product had been under-priced?

That's what I see happening too. With info during 2012 that the new chief of Celebrity feels prices need to raise, we have seen a substantial price increase from 2013 to 2014. Got a fair deal for this November when the TA's first came out last year, but will not book for 2014 with huge price increases.................

i can think of 2 possibilities - costs for the cruiseline, such as fuel costs and port charges, and simply the basic economic influence, supply and demand.

We went on a 12 day med cruise this past October. The price for October 2014 is double what we paid for the same cabin. I can understand an increase due to fuel but double is a significant increase.

I find some of the price increases to be fair while others are outrageous.

Usually prices will compete. In Europe, most cruises have increased fares due to increases in provisioning and fuel. It is more costly to provision a ship in Europe. Food prices and fuel prices are much more expensive. Also, even in the Caribbean, costs have increased compared with previous years. I did an 11 night Med cruise last fall for $1299 pp+ taxes for a veranda cabin. This year, the same cruise is almost double. I was lucky to book when the prices were low....and when the cruise line was trying to fill the unbooked berths. If you have the pleasure to wait past the final payment date, you may find some price reductions if the ship has lots of empty berths. Times are tough. Many people are out of work. Lots of people who used to take cruises are not traveling. Prices will fluctuate depending on supply + demand. If cabins sell well, prices will go up. IF cabins do not book, prices will drop. If the ship sails with an empty cabin, the cruise line makes nothing.

Close to the sail date, prices adjust to fill the ship. For many years, I always booked far in advance. I had to pay attention to work schedules and school vacations. I usually paid top dollar. Kids are grown and I am retired. Now I can wait for the good deals. They are out there. If you are patient, you can book an inexpensive vacation. Be flexible and you will be pleasantly surprised with the options that are available.

Another option is to book a less expensive cabin. Suites and verandas are nice options that can add a lot to your cruise fare. On my next cruise I decided to book a GTY ocean view. I like verandas. However, by choosing a ocean view instead of a veranda, I will save a lot of money. Maybe I'll get an upgrade. I can always hope. Regardless, I will still be on a cruise.

Well, we live in Europe and are going to cruise the Caribbean next year where the prices are much better. One observation which always amuses me is that the cruises through the Norwegian fjords, which are spectacular, tends to be cheaper than other parts of Europe. Yet, Norway is one of THE most expensive countries in Europe.

Finally I have full details of med. cruises 2014.

It is a long way to go so no point doing a 7 day cruise.

Looking at Equinox 12 nights , August 12th, Barcelona return.

Costing is , including taxes and prepaid grats, Aqua class 2 , $7516.46 which equates to $626.37 per night (or day).

I did 2 Carribean in Jan/Feb 2013, on Eclipse, Aqua Class 2.

The 14 night was $350- per night

The 7 night was $420- per night.

Both booked over 12 months prior to sailing.

I just had a look at the same 14 day Carribean for Jan 2014 that i did in Jan 2013 and it costs to $6008- , Aqua 2, Tax and Grats included, which is $429- per night.

Do you have to come in August? It's the most expensive month in Europe as virtually every country is on school holidays (supply and demand). Believe me, if I could travel earlier or later in the season, I would. As another poster stated, airfare will also be at it's highest. Even sailing a month later will probably be cheaper ;).

They charge more because they can! But, there are also some terrific bargains that can be found in Europe, especially for those that can wait until inside the final payment period. I am going to now post an exact example of 2 Celebrity Silhouette Cruises we took last Oct/Nov in Europe/Middle East.

14 night cost us 1536 less a 90pp credit or $103 per person/day (total cost including all taxes) for a balcony guarantee

11 night cost us $1350 less a $72 credit or $116 per person/day (total cost including all taxes) for a balcony guarantee.

What I posted is the true total cost (not including gratuities) per person/day. We often advise folks when trying to calculate the real cost of a cruise to simply take the total cost (net of any OBCs) and divide by the number of days.

I might add that they were both great itineraries (we did them back to back) at a cost per day of less then a decent hotel.

Celebrity makes things a bit more complicated with their 1-2-3 promotion. It is amazing to us that if a cruise line increases the price of a passenger day by $50 and then gives you a $44 amenity...there are many folks who think its a great deal. Last year a favorite TA offered us the choice of a $200 OBC or prepaid gratuities on a 14 day cruise. The value of the per paid gratuities was exactly $350 so we asked the TA if anyone ever took the alternative $200 OBC. She told me that nearly half her clients would take the lesser credit....even when she advised them the pre-paid gratuities were a better deal. Go figure.

Hank

It pays to wait for sales, especially with the Mediterranean itineraries.

I booked AQ on the Equinox, 12 nights Barcelona to Barcelona for about $3000 a few months prior to sailing after it went on special.

That's about $235 per night for two ( though its for me sailing solo with single supplement ).

We booked our Med cruise a year ago. We were able to take advantage of a promo that popped up in July (balcony for inside pricing) $1749 pp (before taxes) = $145 per day/pp We are now after final and the cheapest balcony is $2598 = $216.15 per day/pp. I have not yet been sorry for booking early:)

It's very simple. The so called great promotions are not free. It's exactly what I expected to see when they started with the promotions.

I'll say. The Reflection 10 night cruise is $500 more pp (Aqua) than the exact same cruise on the Equinox last year, and that's with pre-paid gratuities and the drink package. I'd rather have the three price drops we got last year that took our fare from $5100 to $3500 (including gratuities and insurance).

Archived