Modern Luxury = Loud Music???

bobnjeff

Seems to be the new edict from Celebrity is that we need more loud music. I just returned from a March 23rd cruise on The Eclipse. LOUD music has replaced quiet background music in the dining areas. From Dawn until dusk and beyond. Elite breakfast in the Tuscan dining room loud Rock and Roll, more in the Ocean view restaurant and bar from breakfast and beyond. But worst of all it is now in the main Moon Light Sonata dining room too. UGH ENOUGH!!! Since when does background music need to drown out everything else. The type and level of music leads to louder and louder levels in these area. The Main dining room is already a noisy room with 1000+ people why add to it with loud music that forces everyone to talk even louder.

Modern Luxury to me means a relaxing spa like vacation, an oasis from the stresses of daily life. There is nothing relaxing about having to yell across the dining table at friends when having breakfast, lunch or dinner to be heard above the loud music and other guests trying to be head above it too. One night at dinner the noise was so much we left. I am not sure what Celebrity is trying to do here with this. We were on the Connie in Dec. and did not have this problem. Is it only on Caribbean cruises? Are others finding this on other ships in other locations? Even the waiters were complaining too. They have to live with it all the time plus have to try to hear the guests orders over all the noise.

Celebrity, PLEASE give us some quiet BACKGROUND music like in the indoor pool areas in the dining rooms. Thank you

We have found the same!

Things are changing and not for the better in our opinion.

I have had conversations with Mr. Bayley's office to no avail.

It's sad........no violinists at all on our TA....just loud music in the atrium and the sound travels all the way up.

It is not just Celebrity....Azamara has lost their harpists which we enjoyed very much.

Edited by takemewithyou

Oh no, we don't mind a bit of noise, but we don't like to have to shout to be heard. I thought they had toned down the volume, at least the complaints have been 'quiet' for the past few weeks up to today.

Bet the music was not so loud when Mr Bayley was doing the rounds.

We were considering our 2014 Celebrity cruise, but I think we will hold fire until we return from our July one.

We have found the same!

Things are changing and not for the better in our opinion.

I have had conversations with Mr. Bayley's office to no avail.

It's sad........no violinists at all on our TA....just loud music in the atrium and the sound travels all the way up.

It is not just Celebrity....Azamara has lost their harpists which we enjoyed very much.

I go/run the other way when I hear violinists and harpists:eek: Defiantly not our choice of entertainment. Everyone has different views/tastes of music - we actually enjoy being hearing music all over the ship. I haven't been bothered by the volume being too loud before but will see if we notice it on the Silhouette and the Eclipse in June.

Edited by Christine Frances

Sadly, loud music on X ships has been frequently discussed topic lately. From my personal experience, it seems to vary greatly from ship to ship:

Century (15-nights to Hawaii) April, 2012 -- music was appropriate to the venue; live music was great; only "loud" music was in the Martini bar, and the waiters turned it down upon request.

Millennium (8-night Pacific Coastal) September, 2012 -- "canned music" was terrible. Thumping techno music piped into the Oceanview Cafe at breakfast, for example. The loud, canned music was so pervasive that it was a distraction from the quieter live performers, who were scattered throughout the ship.

Equinox (10-night Southern Caribbean) March, 2012 -- music was very good throughout the ship. The live music was wonderful, and what "canned" music we encountered was quiet, and appropriate to the venue in which it was played.

music....TBH...we were on the Millie in Asia in Feb and it was everywhere and very loud....not something we had experienced before.

We have sailed X for many years and I never noticed this before...in fact my DH and I discussed this....as it was just so overwhelming. I too like some nice "back-ground" music...at the right place at the right time...but not so loud that you can't talk over it. LuAnn

music....TBH...we were on the Millie in Asia in Feb and it was everywhere and very loud....not something we had experienced before.

We have sailed X for many years and I never noticed this before...in fact my DH and I discussed this....as it was just so overwhelming. I too like some nice "back-ground" music...at the right place at the right time...but not so loud that you can't talk over it. LuAnn

Luann, I know that several folks on our Millie cruise last Sept. complained about the loud, canned music. Sad to hear that the "powers that be" on Millie just aren't getting the message (or maybe they just can't hear it over the loud, techno-thumping sound track :eek:).

I read with interest many comments about the loud music prior to my Eclipse cruise and made a mental note to see what I thought about it during my cruise.

Loud music in the dining room? Not loud to me. Loud music anywhere else in the ship? Not in my opinion. Except for the last cast show: Eclipse, the Show. I found no theme to this performance with the performers singing over and over again: Maya. (Or at least I thought that was what they were singing.) With each chorus, the music became increasingly loud. And for what purpose? Maybe someone can give me a heads-up as to what that show was about.

Maybe music is like opinions of a ship's cuisine: it is subjective.

Could this perhaps be an attempt to draw a younger, more active crowd? It's been almost two years since our Solstice cruise and we loved it but we missed the music of other lines,

Particularly live music at the pool.

Don't shoot the messenger. The OP is only making a comment about about the music being so loud. I agree that the acoustics when the band is playing on Deck 3 on the S-class ships is very lousy.

Since when can't someone here on Cruise Critic post their comments about Celebrity whether they be negative or positive.

There is a difference between a legitimate critism of a line (music is taste so is it legitimate?.....must like complaining about a choice of curtains) and being absolute anal about things and 'oh, how the line have changed and not r the better sob sob sob' which appears the mantra more and more. What thy r saying is its not necessarily worse....it's moved THEM out of their stationary comfort zone.

I mean I have even heard complaints from weather, to boring ports.....for gods sake....Celebrity don't control weather, nor do they instruct you that 'you must book this cruise'. I'm sorry but people are getting pathetic in their complaints ...another one I read.....room attendant came to room 3 or 4 times a day (gasp) but no, they didn't put out a do not disturb sign....and no doubt if he hadn't come to turn own bed, empty bins, fill ice bucket etc we would have then heard complaints about the poor service.

Edited by 6andy6

Hello

I for one would like to know what kind of canned music is being played perhaps even blasted in the various public/dining spots on the ship and how loud it is. I really don't care for loud intrusive music in the lounges or dining rooms as if its lack would ruin the cruise everyone....that is one reason I normally sail on Cunard: very soft restrained canned music if any at all.....the sound of the sea and conversation is enough for me....if some passengers just can't live without such intrusive music you can always bring your own music and earphones and let everyone else enjoy peace and quiet....I am of course, referring only to the canned music, not music by the live musicians..

Deck Chair

Bet the music was not so loud when Mr Bayley was doing the rounds.

You would lose your bet! I was on the Silhouette the week before and the week during Mr. Baley's cruise no difference in the amplitude of the music. No noticeable cruise experience in either week from the staff.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Seems to be the new edict from Celebrity is that we need more loud music. I just returned from a March 23rd cruise on The Eclipse. LOUD music has replaced quiet background music in the dining areas. From Dawn until dusk and beyond. Elite breakfast in the Tuscan dining room loud Rock and Roll, more in the Ocean view restaurant and bar from breakfast and beyond. But worst of all it is now in the main Moon Light Sonata dining room too. UGH ENOUGH!!! Since when does background music need to drown out everything else. The type and level of music leads to louder and louder levels in these area. The Main dining room is already a noisy room with 1000+ people why add to it with loud music that forces everyone to talk even louder.

Modern Luxury to me means a relaxing spa like vacation, an oasis from the stresses of daily life. There is nothing relaxing about having to yell across the dining table at friends when having breakfast, lunch or dinner to be heard above the loud music and other guests trying to be head above it too. One night at dinner the noise was so much we left. I am not sure what Celebrity is trying to do here with this. We were on the Connie in Dec. and did not have this problem. Is it only on Caribbean cruises? Are others finding this on other ships in other locations? Even the waiters were complaining too. They have to live with it all the time plus have to try to hear the guests orders over all the noise.

Celebrity, PLEASE give us some quiet BACKGROUND music like in the indoor pool areas in the dining rooms. Thank you

I absolutely agree with you! Hate loud muzak. Love my peace. Like to be able to converse with my friends.

Ok, off a 29 day infinity wonder cruise. Loud music, nope. Come on, :) , get with it. Do you remember when you were younger? i guess not?

:mad:We were wondering why there was no music on the pool deck all afternoon. Then we were told someone complained it was to loud. Well, nothing, is nothing.

Enjoy life, it's way toooooo short. Yes?

On the Equinox in October 2011 and Reflection in October 2012 and no loud music except in the atrium when the band played. Not sure where all this music is being played that everyone speaks of.

Maybe it's not in the mediterranean?

Modern Luxury = Loud Music???

Thank you- exactly my opinion and one reason why I stopped sailing with them for the time beeing. I tried Cunard a few years back and it was great- stunning ships , Service compareable to X- just the price was a tinny bit higher! I so loved X and their product. It all started when Solstice Class was introduced or slightly afterwards. Martini Bar is the worst- THAT is not relaxing- and it has nothing to do with age or older people. So many youngsters complained on board Eclipse last New Years Cruise . Such a shame to spoil an otherwise excellent product and their wonderful ships! Don´t pin your hopes on THAT X will listen- useless- I even wrote to Captains Club and never got an answer! So be it! Nothing against soft and quite ( not disturbing) background music! Elite in Tuscany- as you said- LOUD. Lawn Club almost unbearable LOUD! Well one can always use the prommenade deck just outside Bistro on Five or All Baccio on S- Class ships- JUST THERE ISN´T ANY PROPPER PROMMENADE DECK- EXCEPT FOR THE SMOKEING AREA IN THE MIDDLE AND RIGHT AT STERN!!!

This is one of CC's most contentious subjects.

Sometimes the music is too loud, and the choice of music oddly inappropriate, as it was last night in the Tuscan grill.

More often than not, I like the music ( Adele's music in Cellar masters ). but especially later in the evening in the martini bar.

To each their own!

This is one of CC's most contentious subjects.

Sometimes the music is too loud, and the choice of music oddly inappropriate, as it was last night in the Tuscan grill.

More often than not, I like the music ( Adele's music in Cellar masters ). but especially later in the evening in the martini bar.

To each their own!

Kevin how are you enjoying your cruise? Where are you? I am sooooo jealous

Kevin how are you enjoying your cruise? Where are you? I am sooooo jealous

Have to say I'm green with envy too looking at his B2B2B on the Equinox. You're one lucky man, kevin!

Do you work f/t how are you able to get so much time off. You need to share with us all so we can travel more too :-) :-) Pretty please!

Glad to have read this thread and even more glad we cancelled a Bermuda cruise. It was have been a test to see if we could try X as an alternative to Oceania but no way. Lots of children and loud music would have kept us in our suite for the entire cruise.

Can't wait for our next very quiet childless Oceania cruise.:D

My recent experiences have been mixed. Hard to pin down a trend, but probably one of them is that it seems very difficult to get away from the piped music in areas that would benefit from a bit of hush. Like the Lawn Club where it's nice just to sit and watch the sea and listen to the wind. Piped music from the speakers lined up along the rail seems to be a constant feature. My observations in the Martini Bar are that sometimes it is very loud and other times not so. Also the style of music changes from ok stuff to a monotonous thump. Personally I like a bit of music of the right style and level in the indoor venues of an evening, but outside where it would be good to get away from it once in a while not so much. If I want to listen to music outside I can put the iPod earphones in which is often what I do to drown out the piped music.

Phil