The NEW Celebrity Secrets thread (4/2013)

ghstudio

Safes on all Celebrity ships I have ever sailed on use a keypad. Lately the keypads seem to require 6 digits as opposed to 4. When all else fails, read the instructions on the safe. :D

We were just on the Infinity. The only instructions written on the safe said something like "do not swipe a magnetic card." No instructions telling us what we should do. In all our years of traveling, we'd never experienced a shipboard or hotel safe that required anything but a four-digit code, so we tried inputting one. No luck.

I then called Guest Relations; the woman I spoke to said she really had no idea how the safe worked, but mentioned the possibility that the safe might need a six-digit code. That worked. So how hard would it be for Celebrity to have that instruction on the safe? (Apparently, too hard. :rolleyes:)

We were just on the Infinity. The only instructions written on the safe said something like "do not swipe a magnetic card." No instructions telling us what we should do. In all our years of traveling, we'd never experienced a shipboard or hotel safe that required anything but a four-digit code, so we tried inputting one. No luck.

I then called Guest Relations; the woman I spoke to said she really had no idea how the safe worked, but mentioned the possibility that the safe might need a six-digit code. That worked. So how hard would it be for Celebrity to have that instruction on the safe? (Apparently, too hard. :rolleyes:)

Sounds like another case of Celebrity's being consistently inconsistent. Our safes on the Infinity had that instruction, which is how we knew that the 4-digit code wasn't going to work (which we had tried prior to reading the instructions). I don't remember if the instructions were on the safe itself or if they were in the book in the cabin, but they were there somewhere. Six digits seems to be their current mode.

Sounds like another case of Celebrity's being consistently inconsistent. Our safes on the Infinity had that instruction, which is how we knew that the 4-digit code wasn't going to work (which we had tried prior to reading the instructions). I don't remember if the instructions were on the safe itself or if they were in the book in the cabin, but they were there somewhere. Six digits seems to be their current mode.

Your room seem to have been lacking in certain aspects Judith.

We had printed instructions in the cupboard which held the safe, all be it under the Celebrity bag.

• 4 weeks later...
Every time I see your most helpful list I must chuckle. I used many of your "secrets" on our past cruise in February. As I truly enjoy the one or two anchovies found on my or my husband's Caesar salad, I asked my waiter to include them on my occasional salad. One of our dining partners in the MDR was a bit intrigued that I got them and he didn't. I then told him about the 'secrets' list on this forum. He then wondered if the escargot were also available upon request --he tried and failed.

I am curious, is there a secret way to deal with a self important Maitre'd who insisted that there was no other table available, yet for the first 4 nights in a row we saw several nearby empty tables? We had the worst table imaginable, it was against a very small partition(a corner pillar) which separated the entrance and exit doors of where many of the waitstaff pick up the platters initially(the kitchen??not the serving stations)When all 6 of us were seated, a few impatient waitstaff would scoot with full trays behind us (barely 12" space between us and the corner partition) rather than using the aisles that they were supposed to. As all three couples at our table were C.Club members, I suggested that the "Elite" couple( who also had shares in RCCL)go and speak with the CC rep....we were reassigned a table the last half of our cruise, but all received 'glares' by the Eclipse's maitre 'd for the remainder of the cruise even though some of us smiled sweetly. Thank goodness the assistant maitre 'd was more than civil to us. Was the Maitre'd expecting us to give him cash for a better table?

We have only been on a few cruises, but have always had problems with dining room. Our solution has been to show up early at the dining room on the day of arrival, check out our table and sort everything out before the first meal. Usually works if you are patient. :)

I am curious, is there a secret way to deal with a self important Maitre'd who insisted that there was no other table available, yet for the first 4 nights in a row we saw several nearby empty tables? We had the worst table imaginable, it was against a very small partition(a corner pillar) which separated the entrance and exit doors of where many of the waitstaff pick up the platters initially(the kitchen??not the serving stations)When all 6 of us were seated, a few impatient waitstaff would scoot with full trays behind us (barely 12" space between us and the corner partition) rather than using the aisles that they were supposed to. As all three couples at our table were C.Club members, I suggested that the "Elite" couple( who also had shares in RCCL)go and speak with the CC rep....we were reassigned a table the last half of our cruise, but all received 'glares' by the Eclipse's maitre 'd for the remainder of the cruise even though some of us smiled sweetly.

It wasn't your sweet smiles the Maitre'D wanted, it was your tips!

• 2 months later...
There is a room on the front of Deck 11 of the S Class ships called the Relaxation Room. It supposedly is reserved for Aqua Class and Spa Guests (although to my knowledge no one ever checks eligibility). It has tea and coffee, and is a wonderful place to read or view the approach to new ports. My wife and I have even gotten up at strange hours to view the passage between close land masses from there. It is absolutely empty at late hours.

We are amused when we see passengers who have accidentally stumbled in trying to decide if they can stay (they usually don't). Give it a try...

Whilst some have complained that this space is an AQ perk if a troglodyte from an inside cabin in the bowels of the ship on level 5 ventures into the light and there is no one else in the area why shouldn't they stay there. If the area was full and AQ pax wanted a seat I can understand some policing of the area but give me a break ...........................

Whilst some have complained that this space is an AQ perk if a troglodyte from an inside cabin in the bowels of the ship on level 5 ventures into the light and there is no one else in the area why shouldn't they stay there. If the area was full and AQ pax wanted a seat I can understand some policing of the area but give me a break ...........................

The same reason when you go to a baseball game and buy a cheap seat and then try and move down to box seats that are empty. They won't let you! Why? Because you didn't pay for it!

Back in 2008 on the Infinity at the grill in addition to burgers, hot dogs and fries you could order a steak sandwich. Is this still available? At that time it was a Celebrity secret. I didn't see anyone mention it. Also they had a pub type bar and you could order fish and chips as well as other pub type food. Is that still available? We will be on the Solstice next month and were just wondering.

• 3 weeks later...
fruit smothies:p and fresh squeezed OJ....I will have to make up for what I have missed in the past LOL... at the ELITE breakfast ??? where is the Elite breakfast held ????

Fresh OJ appears to be included in the classic drink package. Are smoothies included too? If so, where does one get those from?

Fresh OJ appears to be included in the classic drink package. Are smoothies included too? If so, where does one get those from?

Smoothies / virgin blended drinks like strawberry daquiri or pina colada are part of the premium level of drink package. They're available at most of the bars. In the mornings up at the buffet, the bar with the fresh OJ squeezer machine has an expanded offering of smoothie mixes. I can't remember the full menu they had available but they had the usual strawberry and pina colada and also mango.

These are my favorite treat to myself when cruising :)

The old thread is hard to read, so I am starting a new thread...and Theologator's last post is a wonderful start because he/she summarized the major "secrets" in the older thread.

I assume that Theologator would not object to my reposting his entire post here to get the NEW thread started:

For those that would like to read the detail on the above, the old thread is located at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1602168

THank you for the tips! We are going on the Century in July. Very helpful.

Smoothies / virgin blended drinks like strawberry daquiri or pina colada are part of the premium level of drink package. They're available at most of the bars. In the mornings up at the buffet, the bar with the fresh OJ squeezer machine has an expanded offering of smoothie mixes. I can't remember the full menu they had available but they had the usual strawberry and pina colada and also mango.

These are my favorite treat to myself when cruising :)

I wonder if they have changed the packages? This is what it says for Classic (frozen drinks are included - which I would deem to be blended drinks)

Upgrade your cruise experience and
to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all beers up to $6 per serving, and spirits, cocktails,
frozen drinks
, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

Premium doesn't saying about blended:

For the ultimate in value and convenience, our
provides all the benefits of our Premium Non-Alcoholic Package. In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $13 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Premium Package, you can enjoy a 20% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

However, when you click on the link for premium drinks, it does specifically refer to non-alcoholic frozen drinks. Weird. So they give you the alcohol versions, but if you want virgin, you have to upgrade?

Edited by Queen of Oakville

Room service has better tasting burgers then the pool grill. The pizza place often has little to no lines even when the ship is in code red. If you want a seat at your muster station get there early.. On infinity. I found that the internet worked in port and was down frequently when at sea. Even the ilounge computers would not work.

Edited by sergeant655

Room service has better tasting burgers then the pool grill. The pizza place often has little to no lines even when the ship is in code red. If you want a seat at your muster station get there early.. On infinity. I found that the internet worked in port and was down frequently when at sea. Even the ilounge computers would not work.

The trick to the pool grill is to ask for a burger directly off the griddle...not one that's been sitting in a pan....same with the waffles in the buffet. Internet service really depends on where you are, the weather, the waves, and perhaps the direction of the wind in Mongolia....in other words, it has nothing much to do with the ship and everything to do with the satellite network and connectivity. We actually had very good internet on the infiniity in Antarctica a month or so ago.

I wonder if they have changed the packages? This is what it says for Classic (frozen drinks are included - which I would deem to be blended drinks)

Upgrade your cruise experience and
to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all beers up to $6 per serving, and spirits, cocktails,
frozen drinks
, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

Premium doesn't saying about blended:

For the ultimate in value and convenience, our
provides all the benefits of our Premium Non-Alcoholic Package. In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $13 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Premium Package, you can enjoy a 20% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

However, when you click on the link for premium drinks, it does specifically refer to non-alcoholic frozen drinks. Weird. So they give you the alcohol versions, but if you want virgin, you have to upgrade?

You're right, smoothies and frozen virgin drinks are included in all the packages except the classic non-alcoholic. :)

The trick to the pool grill is to ask for a burger directly off the griddle...not one that's been sitting in a pan....same with the waffles in the buffet.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Celebrity recently discontinued the practice of automatically providing a water pitcher in each stateroom, but you can still get one if you ask for it.

They refill it with cold water twice each day when they come to service the room.

On one cruise we were told that the ice bucket is now provided only upon request too, but on following cruises it was still provided automatically.

So I don't know if it is company policy, ship policy, or your stateroom attendant's policy. ;)

Our stateroom attendant on the Connie last month asked if we'd like ice daily and when I said yes, please, he said, just in the afternoon? I said, that's fine. I wondered why he was asking ... now I understand!

Then on the Century, he didn't offer and we didn't bother requesting it.

So evidently it's fleet-wide but some cabin attendants will make it easier by asking our preference, that first day when they introduce themselves.

Edited by May B

On our last cruise in December, they still provided an ice bucket in the stateroom and refilled it twice each day without our needing to ask.

I was recently reminded of a very nice Celebrity feature that we take for granted by a friend who went on his first Celebrity cruise.

He was pleasantly surprised to learn that Celebrity does not require passengers to stand in lines to check pool towels in and out, the way his previous cruise line did.

He thought it was great the way that Celebrity treats you as a welcome guest, not a suspected thief, putting the towels out where you can help yourself as needed and then just toss them into a bin and walk away when through with them.

Edited by fleckle

We use the room service cards in the welcome booklet every morning. Ask your steward for more.

We don't like to take morning pills/vitamins up to the buffet or dining room. Order a pot of coffee with fixings you like and juice of your choice and enjoy that in your room when you wake up before starting your day.

I like having mine on the veranda. They usually call you and tell you they are on the way and especially if you are on an early excursion, order breakfast in your room too. Nice to have the wake-up call too.

You're right, smoothies and frozen virgin drinks are included in all the packages except the classic non-alcoholic. :)

lol. that makes no sense to me, but okay.

1. Can you order your drinks with very little alcohol? :p

2. How do the drink packages work? Do you get a sticker on your card?

3. What happens if I order a Virgin Pina Colada? Well the bartender, take my card and apply the charge? Or will he warn me first that it is not included in my package? just curious.