The NEW Celebrity Secrets thread (4/2013)

ghstudio

I never eat them. I keep waiting for a variety with dark chocolate and it never shows up, just milk (yuck). Can you give them to the crew? Do they toss them when you leave them in your cabin?

Celebrity definitely has dark chocolates at turn down, several flavors and varieties. We bring them all home to our kids, never eat any while on board. Check out the photo on my signature - my daughter and I saved all of our chocolates from our Australia/NZ back2back and made the Celebrity logo! Between the two of us on board for over a month, and the extra chocolates that our room attendant gave to my daughter's stuffed kangaroo, stuffed kiwi, stuffed NZ lamb (adorable room steward, some nights we had 6 chocolates!) - we accumulated a lot of chocolate!

Celebrity definitely has dark chocolates at turn down, several flavors and varieties. We bring them all home to our kids, never eat any while on board. Check out the photo on my signature - my daughter and I saved all of our chocolates from our Australia/NZ back2back and made the Celebrity logo! Between the two of us on board for over a month, and the extra chocolates that our room attendant gave to my daughter's stuffed kangaroo, stuffed kiwi, stuffed NZ lamb (adorable room steward, some nights we had 6 chocolates!) - we accumulated a lot of chocolate!

What a GREAT avatar!! Didn't realize that it was made of X chocolates!:D

What a GREAT avatar!! Didn't realize that it was made of X chocolates!:D

Yes, thank you! We had a fun time making it, such decisions - whether to group the flavors together or apart (we went with together), how wide or thin to make the "X", laboring over the angles, etc! And I see you are from Tenerife, what an exciting place to call home - we spent the day there this past April on a Transatlantic on Equinox and had a great day at Loro Park!

You know , I hate to admit to this but we have always been in a concierge class cabin and it wasn't until we were on about the 9th day of our 12 day wine tasting cruise on the Connie last Fall that I actually looked at the room service breakfast menu that was in our cabin. Had no idea that we could get fresh squeezed OJ for free at room service. And....to make matters worse I had bought "fresh squeezed" several times at breakfast as a treat.:p So this Jan. we will be on the Connie again and in concierge again..but ELITE for the first time...anybody out there that can tell me what I can do with the Elite that I may not know about??? Secrets anyone???? By the way every time we go on a cruise and meet our room steward for the first time I always shake his hand with a folder $20 bill in my hand. We always get all the hangers we like , pillows galore and any furniture that we don't want taken out of our room etc.:cool:

Do not miss the Elite breakfasts. Instead of the herd feeding mentality fo the morning buffet, sit back and relax with a lighter, but tastier breakfast. The almond pastries are my favorite. Fresh fruit and variety of continental options. If you want fresh berries, this is the place to get them. If you do not see them, just ask! Also, enjoy the specialty coffees and mimosas and bloody Mary's that are included. Fresh squeezed juices and smoothies also. A leisurely breakfast here on sea days is heavenly.

Yes, thank you! We had a fun time making it, such decisions - whether to group the flavors together or apart (we went with together), how wide or thin to make the "X", laboring over the angles, etc! And I see you are from Tenerife, what an exciting place to call home - we spent the day there this past April on a Transatlantic on Equinox and had a great day at Loro Park!

Guess we should have met on Equinox in April then!! (We were also onboard.):D Or maybe we did meet!

Yes, we live on Tenerife part of the year -- but only because we can't get our house sold :( (about 15 miles further west from Loro Park, in Icod de los Vinos)! Actually I'm from NYC originally, but have lived in Germany for over 30 years. Hope to meet you onboard a ship sometime soon.

Edited by TenerifeSharon

Do not miss the Elite breakfasts. Instead of the herd feeding mentality fo the morning buffet, sit back and relax with a lighter, but tastier breakfast. The almond pastries are my favorite. Fresh fruit and variety of continental options. If you want fresh berries, this is the place to get them. If you do not see them, just ask! Also, enjoy the specialty coffees and mimosas and bloody Mary's that are included. Fresh squeezed juices and smoothies also. A leisurely breakfast here on sea days is heavenly.

The top ten reasons we prefer the buffet

10-often just a cocktail table situation at elite

9-too quiet

8-bagels can't be toasted

7-no Benedicts

6-no waffles

5-no French toast

4-no quiche-type dishes

3-no blintzes

2-friends/family can't join us if they aren't elite

and the number one reason I don't prefer the elite breakfast

1-no outdoor seating!!!

Fresh squeezed o.j. and a cappuccino are what we stop there for on the way to the buffet.

Edited by May B

The top ten reasons we prefer the buffet

10-often just a cocktail table situation at elite

9-too quiet

8-bagels can't be toasted

7-no Benedicts

6-no waffles

5-no French toast

4-no quiche-type dishes

3-no blintzes

2-friends/family can't join us if they aren't elite

and the number one reason I don't prefer the elite breakfast

1-no outdoor seating!!!

Fresh squeezed o.j. and a cappuccino are what we stop there for on the way to the buffet.

All good points. We find that we really enjoy the Oceanview Cafe for breakfast.

Do they have muesli in the elite breakfast?

Texted, I love your devotion to waffles.

LovesVaca, I would reverse the order. Go have my o.j., which starts any good breckie, then head up to the AquaSpa for the muesli.

Perhaps room service bkfst. would fit you better. If you're in concierge class or beyond, I believe, fresh squeezed is on your menu. And an outstanding and/but huge yogurt parfait.

The yogurt parfait at Aqua Spa is, as you would suspect, a much more normal single serving.

And jagoffee, it's great to see you again. I believe you tried to help me in tips on booking mileage tickets. Perhaps you were on an Oz/NZ cruise in January 2012?

Btw, back to the waffles. I had trouble ranking waffles, eggs Benedict and French toast. And I don't remember. Are the quiche-type dishes called frittatas? But if you DO like French toast, be sure to check out the "special" one they have every day, on a rotating basis. Same with the eggs Benedict.

I like to have a different breckie every day. Have you ever had an English muffin with peanut butter and bacon?

And on one ship they were confused about how to make a blintz. The two components were delicious, but they were in the wrong proportions. I believe that was the Equinox, in June 2011.

How fortunate, to have so many wonderful cruise memories. And isn't it funny that the Connie and the Equinox always have the itineraries that appeal to us most?

However! I do hope to add the Eclipse in the next six or seven months. We are huge Perry fans. But watch out. Rumor is that he's taking a hiatus, Jan. 11th-26th.

Edited by May B

Texted, I love your devotion to waffles.

LovesVaca, I would reverse the order. Go have my o.j., which starts any good breckie, then head up to the AquaSpa for the muesli.

Perhaps room service bkfst. would fit you better. If you're in concierge class or beyond, I believe, fresh squeezed is on your menu. And an outstanding and/but huge yogurt parfait.

The yogurt parfait at Aqua Spa is, as you would suspect, a much more normal single serving.

And jagoffee, it's great to see you again. I believe you tried to help me in tips on booking mileage tickets. Perhaps you were on an Oz/NZ cruise in January 2012?

Btw, back to the waffles. I had trouble ranking waffles, eggs Benedict and French toast. And I don't remember. Are the quiche-type dishes called frittatas? But if you DO like French toast, be sure to check out the "special" one they have every day, on a rotating basis. Same with the eggs Benedict.

I like to have a different breckie every day. Have you ever had an English muffin with peanut butter and bacon?

And on one ship they were confused about how to make a blintz. The two components were delicious, but they were in the wrong proportions. I believe that was the Equinox, in June 2011.

How fortunate, to have so many wonderful cruise memories. And isn't it funny that the Connie and the Equinox always have the itineraries that appeal to us most?

However! I do hope to add the Eclipse in the next six or seven months. We are huge Perry fans. But watch out. Rumor is that he's taking a hiatus, Jan. 11th-26th.

Yes, we were on that cruise with you. Good to hear from you. We are doing our first TA on November 1 on the Reflection, a 14 day Caribbean cruise in January on the Eclipse, and a Baltic cruise on the new Princess Royal in August. So as you an tell we are enjoying our retirement.

Yes, we were on that cruise with you. Good to hear from you. We are doing our first TA on November 1 on the Reflection, a 14 day Caribbean cruise in January on the Eclipse, and a Baltic cruise on the new Princess Royal in August. So as you can tell we are enjoying our retirement.

I know that feeling of enjoying retirement! Mr. B. retired in 2004 and we started with a road trip, no interstates, no chain restaurants.

I'm hoping for a last minute good deal on Eclipse, if Perry is onboard. We enjoy his shtick so much! I was flabbergasted when Mr. B. first got caught up in the thing (assuming positions). So! are you going on Eclipse when Perry is there, or not??!!

We also hope to do a TA some day.

The Baltic was our first long cruise, in 2008, and we loved it. We both can still describe all our ports and sightseeing -- and love doing so. Had three sets of friends on the Baltic this past summer, three different cruise lines. Loved giving them all our recommendations!

I'll tell you that the couple on Princess were quite frustrated with their ship's tour in St. Petersburg, esp. at the Hermitage. We had urged them to do private sightseeing, esp. there -- and they had three couples, such a perfect number -- but alas, the other two couples were too nervous to do that.

Keep enjoying retirement!

What about safes (specifically on the Century)? Do they have a keyboard for a number code or do you need a card with a magnetic strip?

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg "I can see Carnival Miracle and Inspiration from my porch" (to paraphrase Tina Fey as S. Palin)

I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams!)

OMG I didn't realize what your avatar was...

I thought it was some sort of African art:)

What about safes (specifically on the Century)? Do they have a keyboard for a number code or do you need a card with a magnetic strip?

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg "I can see Carnival Miracle and Inspiration from my porch" (to paraphrase Tina Fey as S. Palin)

I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams!)

On S Class ships it is a numeric pad.

However, this aint a secret ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Safes on all Celebrity ships I have ever sailed on use a keypad. Lately the keypads seem to require 6 digits as opposed to 4. When all else fails, read the instructions on the safe. :D

• 4 weeks later...

At the beginning of the cruise I signed on for the Wi-Fi and was told I could use my iPad in our cabin.

If I ever did manage to sign on, I was often 'knocked out'

When I mentioned this at the iLounge, I was told "What else do you expect, once you close the door, you are in a metal box."

Truth be told, the Internet sometimes worked best at mid- ships on decks 3,4 &5.

Yet the iLounge was on Deck 9 on Infinity, where there was T.V screen with an almost permanent notice explaining that the Satellite connection was unstable and the Internet was overloaded.

How I wonder did the Ship's navigation & accounting systems work so well if connections were so unpredictable?

At the beginning of the cruise I signed on for the Wi-Fi and was told I could use my iPad in our cabin.

If I ever did manage to sign on, I was often 'knocked out'

When I mentioned this at the iLounge, I was told "What else do you expect, once you close the door, you are in a metal box."

Truth be told, the Internet sometimes worked best at mid- ships on decks 3,4 &5.

Yet the iLounge was on Deck 9 on Infinity, where there was T.V screen with an almost permanent notice explaining that the Satellite connection was unstable and the Internet was overloaded.

How I wonder did the Ship's navigation & accounting systems work so well if connections were so unpredictable?

A totally unacceptable answer since they sell wifi for connection throughout the ship....and I have used it around the ship, including the infinity in my cabin last week.

The only problems I had were getting logged in at all.....the system was just overloaded (as it is almost all of the time). Once on, I had no problem sending/receiving mail, connecting and posting to Cruise Critic and uploading quicken....all done from both a netbook and an ipad.

I too saw that almost permanent notice on the screen in the ilounge. The folks on the ship can't solve the lack of hardware to handle the load and they are blasted on every cruise about speed and connectivity problems....so I guess it's not a surprise that you got a flip, unprofessional response instead of a real answer. Of course the real answer wouldn't have pleased you any more, but it would have been more professional.

That raises a question. Is the buffet open all day? I've never ventured down there between meals and it hadn't occurred to me that it might be open between mealtimes.

There is Afternoon Tea food out n it is listed in the Daily calendar. It is free n is yummy.