Which cruise line/port for Italy?

We are planning a trip to Italy for 2014! I have looked at several cruise lines and ports. My parents did the land tour ten years ago. The rest of us have never been. We range in age from 19-76. We would like to do the Amalfi coast first, but it seems that many of the lines that sail that route also include Greece/Spain etc. We wanted to cruise just Italy? Maybe we need to rethink this and start elsewhere, its a big country :rolleyes:? Also, do you think the smaller lines Azamara, P/Gauguin etc are a better choice? They do seem to reach more ports? My parents are also concerned that the amount of time it will take us to get to each shore excursion from the ship will consume quite a bit of time. Any information or insight you can help us with would be appreciated!! :)

We have done several Princess cruises that included Italy, but all hit other countries too.

You asked about timing getting to shore excursions. Do you mean one's offered by the ship or private ones? For the ship's, they will have you meet in a lounge and lead you off when it is time. FOr private ones, once the ship is cleared by local authorities, passengers can get off. There is usually a line and it takess 15 minutes or so for it to clear.

Smaller ships will of course have less people & less lines to get off the ship;)

They will also stop at some ports that the bigger ships cannot get into

You may want to start in Venice & sail to Rome (Civitavecchia) then spend some time in Rome

Sometimes you will have to take other Countries as well as Italy on the itineraries

Oceania have some nice itineraries if in your budget

Lyn

Some of the major sites in Italy are a long drive from the port. Rome is an hour + from the port (Civitevecchia). Florence is even further from Livorno. So tours to these beautiful cities will mean a long bus ride to begin and end the tour.

I don't believe there is any cruise line that ONLY calls on ports in Italy. Most people want a variety of places. Due to Italy's position in the Med, you will find Italy + Western ports (France, Spain) and Italy + Eastern ports (Croatia, Greece, Turkey).

If you really are mostly interested in Italy, I would strongly recommend you consider a land trip. Yes, several ports in Italy are quite a distance from the ship and tours can get very expensive if you aren't willing or able to do them on your own.

If you are married to the idea of a cruise, I know a few of the smaller lines (such as Azamara or Oceania) will occasionally feature itineraries that are Italy-intensive but will still have at least one or two ports outside Italy. These itineraries aren't offered too often.

It might be a good idea to talk to a travel agent and find out what all your options are for the time frame you're considering.

I am not sure if they still do it, but we did a 12 night Princess cruise a few years ago. Venice to Rome. Called on Ravenna, Messina, Sorrento, Portofino, Livorno (Florence & Pisa) in Italy. Also, Split, Kotor, Corfu & Valetta.

Check out the ports with MSC and Costa, starting at Savona/Genoa in Italy and going round to Venice. They'll probably include some other ports, especially in the Adriatic....but at least you'll be back in Italy when you're on board! ;)

It is magical sailing into and out of Venice. :)

We sailed twice into Naples and had fun but we'd been to Sorrento, Capri, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast in the past on land trips so were happy to enjoy Napoli. If we had not previously visited those places, we surely would have toured there from the ship.

Archived