LIVE from the Coral Princess - LA to FLL - 14 days - April 20 to May 4, 2013

Pia1913

Hi Pia - I have been following your posts and I'm getting a little worried about whether or not we'll enjoy ourselves (we leave from Fort Lauderdale on May 4th) - lol. You don't seem to be having a very good time apart from the movies! Appreciate the critiques on the live shows though - they are not my forte anyway. How is the food?

Things we have learned while cruising:

We like cruising during winter and school months as you seem to get an older crowd and less children. We did this same cruise in February 2012 and had three children total onboard. Nice! The weather was a tad cooler but our travel friend who is 82 found all the stops to be very warm. I felt by the end of the cruise my toes had melted and were ready to finish the winter out in the north again.

Inside the ship, you might find it on the cool side. Always pack a sweater you can carry around so if need be you will be warm. Outside - you won't need the sweater!

We really enjoyed all the sea days. As others have said, we are viewing from Pia's eye, just how her day went. One can sit somewhere (room, lounge, or outside) and read, or try to accomplish everything in the Patter! Things will overlap or be at the same exact time so how one would do so is beyond me. But you have to be a pretty boring person to not find things to do while onboard during sea days!

Sit back and relax. Spend your energy trying to remember to bring the sunscreen and a good book! (But that isn't really necessary as there is a library onboard too!)

Hello. It’s early Tuesday morning on this last day of April and we will soon be arriving into HOT HOT HOT Cartagena, Colombia. I don’t ever recall a stop here when it wasn’t a scorcher.

Still remember our excursion with the inarticulate guide and the HOT walk up and down the fortress - you and Mike were real troupers, though!!

Good Morning at sea. We are due to arrive into Aruba at 1:00 PM. Meanwhile, I have some info for Louise.

1. Costa Rica: yes, you will like the scenic train ride and river cruise. We’ve done almost everything in Costa Rica at one time or another including zip lining and multiple coffee plantations.

2. Nicaragua: We were there in November and did the cigar plantation and factory. We liked it a lot.

3. Cabo: Just there mid March. We did a whale watching tour; not with Princess. Contact Caborey. Speak to thr people on your roll call and form a group. Had a great time.

4. Colombia: I dislike everything about Cartagena except what I posted previously. The Mangrove Canoe Tour, and also the Harbour cruise w/o the fortress are good. The fortress area is always mobbed, the locals will be all over you and you need to be in good shape to walk up the steep incline.

Now then, I have a question for you. How many noses does a slug have? Weird? You bet. But it won me another carabiner. Whoopie! ;)

Since we have late arrival into port, there is some activity on board this morning. Not much. Some. There’s another $10 sale; this time only 2 hours instead of three. There’s also a shopping talk about Aruba highlights, a technical and electrical presentation which is always interesting and the pub lunch.

This afternoon The Princess Bride is on MUTS and a 5:30 movie in the theater; Silver Linings Playbook. All aboard is at 6:30 and dinner for us will be very early. Or very late. Les Miserables is on MUTS at 7:00 and we do want to see it and get a good location for it. We’ve seen the show twice (both times in London) so it will be interesting to compare one to the other. There’s a comedian in the theater (Rollin’ Jay Moore) doing three shows, but if we survive the almost 3 hour Les Mis, we could still catch his 10 PM show. Will have to play this by ear. If one of you knows anything about this guy please tell me if it’s worthwhile. Thanks.

Donna: We did think about it when I wrote #4 above.

Will check in again later.

Sayonara. (thinking about the new Japan itinerary)

Slugs definitely have 4 noses, a question that comes up regularly in our quizzes:)

Thanks to the person who posted the photos of the transit through the canal, for someone who's never been fortunate to do it, its been very interesting.

Enjoy the rest of your trip Pia.

Lorraine and Paul: LOL.

Paul: I give them all away. Except for the little flashlights which Mike has an attachment. We have a house full of them

Just arriving into Aruba. Gonna' go check out the scenery.

As for recall, too bad I didn’t remember how bad last night’s “performer” Joey Van was. At least this time we sat in the last row and were able to make a speedy getaway. Passengers started leaving almost immediately. We gave him 13 minutes.

Given your less-than-stellar review I had to look this guy up. There's a youtube video of him doing his routine on RCCL Splendour of the Seas. Wow. How did you manage to sit through 13 minutes of this guy? This will have to be the low point of your cruise - everything else will be wonderful by comparison. :D

Good Morning at sea. We are due to arrive into Aruba at 1:00 PM

This afternoon The Princess Bride is on MUTS and a 5:30 movie in the theater; Silver Linings Playbook. All aboard is at 6:30 and dinner for us will be very early. Or very late. Les Miserables is on MUTS at 7:00 and we do want to see it and get a good location for it. We’ve seen the show twice (both times in London) so it will be interesting to compare one to the other. There’s a comedian in the theater (Rollin’ Jay Moore) doing three shows, but if we survive the almost 3 hour Les Mis, we could still catch his 10 PM show. Will have to play this by ear. If one of you knows anything about this guy please tell me if it’s worthwhile. Thanks.

Will check in again later.

Sayonara. (thinking about the new Japan itinerary)

Thank you for sharing another live, Pia.

Did you enjoy your afternoon in Aruba and Les Mis, with its couple of Aussie stars? Like you, I've enjoyed the theatre production and am unsure whether I'd enjoy the movie version.

Where to next, ? Japan.

Thanks to all who posted photos. I can never see too many photos of the canal. A suggestion...post the links to the photos that you post incase we want to look at the canal again.

Again thanks for the photos!!!

Tom:)

Hi again from Aruba. Just a bit of nonsense which you really didn’t need to know, but what I remembered this morning. Our first time in Aruba was 1973 when we came here to attend a conference. It was my first introduction to gambling and it was love at first sight. My first quarter hit 2 cherries for 5 coins and the rest is history. Note that 2 cherries still pays the same amount 40 years later. :D

Aruba is basically “beachy” and that’s what I did all those years ago. Now I run from the sun; then I stayed out there all day to try and get as dark a tan as possible. We do learn, don’t we? :)

Some people from our roll call planned on going horseback riding, some went snorkeling. Those of you who know my relationship with horses need not comment. (specifically written for Tina as she reads this and laughs). :eek: One couple was doing the 4WD island tour; did that years ago. Otherwise, the chit chat I’ve heard is shopping. Some folks actually listen to the shopping guy and go to his recommended stores. Oh well. Remember what W.C. Fields said? ;)

Nothing exciting, or even unexciting to report. We just started an early wine time and will just relax and read until it’s time to go up on deck and stake out a good spot for Les Mis. Will probably have pizza for dinner since it’s right there and we can munch as we watch.

Marion: will let you know about Les Mis tomorrow. Japan...perhaps in '15. 2014 is filling up quickly.

Ciao

Thanks to all who posted photos. I can never see too many photos of the canal. A suggestion...post the links to the photos that you post incase we want to look at the canal again.
Here's a few links to some Panama Canal photos I took on the Coral Princess last year.

Gatun Locks

Gatun Lake

Culebra Cut

Pedro Miguel Lock

Edited by Jasperdo

Thank goodness for the Patter which keeps me aware of the day and date. Good Morning. It’s Thursday the 2nd of May. Another sunny day ahead with temp. in the mid 80’s. We have been so fortunate to have perfect weather this entire cruise. We heard that just after we left Panama, it started raining and hasn’t stopped yet. We had some excitement at 10:45 PM last night when the bells rang into our room, voice said for assessment only to deck 2, but the regular 7 short and one long sounded. Voice said it was not for passengers, but passengers get nervous. The captain came on shortly after to say there was a small fire and it was being assessed. Several other announcements were made all by the captain until about 50 minutes later when he said everything was under control, ship in perfect condition and we were continuing normally. Lots of passengers were out in the hallway; not us. I stayed nervous in my cabin.

As planned, we staked out 2 great seats for MUTS last night and had pizza on deck for dinner. Not as planned, was the fact that we didn’t like Les Mis and left after 45 minutes. Amazingly we feel that they ruined great show by making it into a movie. Our opinion of course will differ with others. We did go to see Rollin’ Jay Moore and really enjoyed his show. Lots of different material and a really funny guy.

So what’s happening this morning? Not a whole lot. The only interesting offering is Navigation @Sea which will tell us about on board operational procedures. I could have lived without yesterday’s Technical @Sea simply because it was too technical. I think the quiet morning will give us a start on packing. I hate when our cruises end, but it really is time to go home. Haven’t been there much this year. Since we do have a mortgage, we should plan to utilize our home once in a while. :)

This afternoon there will be a Carnival offering; Mr. Sexy Legs Competition. I am appalled that this is being done on Princess. What’s next; Mr. Hairy Chest Competition? :eek: Other than this, the afternoon offers a lecture on 9 Keys to Being Happy the Rest of Your Life, Les Miserables on MUTS, the movie Anna Karenina (2012 version) in the theater and Life @ Sea which will feature our CD and Deputy CD telling us how it is to work and live aboard a cruise ship. This and the movie are at exactly the same time, but Stu and Andre will be repeated on TV so we can in fact see both.

Tonight, someone really goofed a bit in planning . The magician and the awful impressionist will be doing a double header in the theater. At the exact same time they have scheduled the Pop Choir in the Atrium. Had I been in the Choir I would be majorly p*****. On the Bayou is in Universe (3 performances) and of course we will see it. This will be the 3rd time. MUTS will do two showings of The Hobbit.

Enough for now. Gym awaits.

For the write up.

The end of ones cruises always seems to suddenly come too quickly I have always found.One thing for me anyway I can just throw things in my luggage not having to try and keep creases out of stuff at this end:)

Glad you were sensible regarding the fire,unlike you I would have been at panic stations:eek:;)

Edited by kruisey

Thank goodness for the Patter which keeps me aware of the day and date. Good Morning. It’s Thursday the 2nd of May. Another sunny day ahead with temp. in the mid 80’s. We have been so fortunate to have perfect weather this entire cruise. We heard that just after we left Panama, it started raining and hasn’t stopped yet. We had some excitement at 10:45 PM last night when the bells rang into our room, voice said for assessment only to deck 2, but the regular 7 short and one long sounded. Voice said it was not for passengers, but passengers get nervous. The captain came on shortly after to say there was a small fire and it was being assessed. Several other announcements were made all by the captain until about 50 minutes later when he said everything was under control, ship in perfect condition and we were continuing normally. Lots of passengers were out in the hallway; not us. I stayed nervous in my cabin.

So glad to hear all went well with the excitement last night and as long as it all ends well that is what counts. Did you find out where the fire was etc and glad to hear the captain kept you all updated.

I enjoyed Les Mis but probably because it has been a long long long time since I saw the live show in London.

Looks like I must be one of the few who enjoyed Cartegena but it was years ago so maybe it has changed. I do enjoy my emerald star of David I got there and we had a great tour. I did go into it very negative and even left the kids on the ship as I was nervous but went back to get them so they could tour but we also never walked around on our own.

Enjoy your packing day and I'm so sad our trip is coming to an end, it has been enjoyable and made me really want to do this itinerary.

Safe travels to visit 'home'.

As planned, we staked out 2 great seats for MUTS last night and had pizza on deck for dinner. Not as planned, was the fact that we didn’t like Les Mis and left after 45 minutes. Amazingly we feel that they ruined great show by making it into a movie. Our opinion of course will differ with others. We did go to see Rollin’ Jay Moore and really enjoyed his show. Lots of different material and a really funny guy.

So what’s happening this morning? Not a whole lot. The only interesting offering is Navigation @Sea which will tell us about on board operational procedures. I could have lived without yesterday’s Technical @Sea simply because it was too technical. I think the quiet morning will give us a start on packing. I hate when our cruises end, but it really is time to go home. Haven’t been there much this year. Since we do have a mortgage, we should plan to utilize our home once in a while. :)

This afternoon there will be a Carnival offering; Mr. Sexy Legs Competition. I am appalled that this is being done on Princess. What’s next; Mr. Hairy Chest Competition? :eek: Other than this, the afternoon offers a lecture on 9 Keys to Being Happy the Rest of Your Life, Les Miserables on MUTS, the movie Anna Karenina (2012 version) in the theater and Life @ Sea which will feature our CD and Deputy CD telling us how it is to work and live aboard a cruise ship. This and the movie are at exactly the same time, but Stu and Andre will be repeated on TV so we can in fact see both.

Tonight, someone really goofed a bit in planning . The magician and the awful impressionist will be doing a double header in the theater. At the exact same time they have scheduled the Pop Choir in the Atrium. Had I been in the Choir I would be majorly p*****. On the Bayou is in Universe (3 performances) and of course we will see it. This will be the 3rd time. MUTS will do two showings of The Hobbit.

Pia;

Thanks for the report on Le Mis. I was thinking about buying it on Blu Ray but I'm not sure I will at this point. Hope you have a great day and enjoy the rest of the cruise. 156 more days till the Royal.....:):):)

Bob

UPDATE ON FIRE

It was in a store room on deck 2, but plastic material caught fire which made smoke and awful smell. We are on deck 10 forward and never smelled anything. Friends on deck 5 said it was horrible and stench lasted well after the fire was put out. All's well that ends well. Capt. Nico explained it all to us this morning during a 10 AM announcement.

Aruba is basically “beachy” and that’s what I did all those years ago. Now I run from the sun; then I stayed out there all day to try and get as dark a tan as possible. We do learn, don’t we? :)

Ciao

As planned, we staked out 2 great seats for MUTS last night and had pizza on deck for dinner. Not as planned, was the fact that we didn’t like Les Mis and left after 45 minutes. Amazingly we feel that they ruined great show by making it into a movie. Our opinion of course will differ with others.

I think the quiet morning will give us a start on packing. I hate when our cruises end, but it really is time to go home. Haven’t been there much this year. Since we do have a mortgage, we should plan to utilize our home once in a while. :)

Aruba appeals because I'm a beachy person. Aussies are trained to stay out of the midday sun from birth, as Australia is the skin cancer capital of the world. However, we did used to try to get tanned, as brown as possible. We even had a guy on the beach, at Surfers Paradise, who used to spray surfers with oil to hasten the process! Now we slip, slap, slop sunscreen!

I suspect I would feel the same way about Les Mis film, as musical was my all time favourite, as is CD, which takes me back to that place in my imagination. Will get it out one day on DVD though, as I can do other things whilst watching Hugh Jackman.

Pleased fire was put out. I can imagine there were a lot of nervous passengers, as emergencies seem much worse at night. You did well to stay nervous in your cabin.

Enjoy your period at home whilst planning for your next cruise. In the meantime, you will be missed, as you bring a lot of joy to a lot of people with your entertaining Live from. Thanks Pia.

So happy to hear that all is ok with the fire and no one was hurt. Keeping you informed is the best thing the Captain can do, because no news makes you more nervous. I'd have stayed in my cabin very nervous also.

It's sad when a cruise comes to an end, but they all must. Thanks for taking us all along with you. "We" had a great time. :D Look forward to seeing you when you get home.

Late afternoon and we’ve just returned from the Life @ Sea presentation. Very well done; informative and enjoyable. Some of you may recall that Sammi did something like this on our last cruise with the singers and dancers. Here, only the CD and Deputy were involved which made it a fun show that covered all departments.

This morning’s Navigation @ Sea was also interesting and winning some $$$ in the slots was more so. We emptied our accounts and for the entire 2 weeks ended up losing $1.01. Now we know how much fun we can have for a buck. :D

Our big accomplishment for today is the suitcase. Everything other than what still needs to come back from the laundry is packed. This now gives us a free fun day for tomorrow. :)

So now I sit here with my glass of wine wondering how talking about nothing got more than 20,000 hits. No wonder I have a great rapport with you folks. ;)

See you tomorrow.

And Marcia, probably not this week, but perhaps the following one for our great Tuesday night Bar Louie dinners.